Author Topic: Why did Google Ruin YouTube? - Resolved!  (Read 5155 times)

Why did Google Ruin YouTube? - Resolved!
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:33:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Seriously, it's pretty hard to ruin a site based on watching videos, but I guess that this was Google's way of essentially forcing people to use their social network, which has gone over oh so well  ::)  Is there a way to post comments on YouTube without having to sign up for Google+?  I'm assuming that there isn't, but I just thought I'd ask.  Hell, the only reason I have a YouTube channel in the first place is because they practically force you to create one if you want to be able to use YouTube on your phone, haha.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:04:27 PM by Beat LA »

Re: Question About Commenting on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:15:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Does anyone on here even use Google+?  How would you rate it?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:07:27 PM by Beat LA »

Re: Why did Google Ruin YouTube? - Resolved!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
i wish someone other than google bought youtube. its such a poorly designed site, and the google+ thing is even worse.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Maybe they were (Google) wishing that youtube users eventually migrate their other apps used to google products. Like what they are doing to Android OS, you cannot do a darn thing without google's thumb prints all over the place
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:03 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Youtube has degraded so much that it is hard to use. The UI and site layout are horrible, I wouldnt even be able to tolerate the ads without adblock, they shoved the failure of Google+ down our throats, and make annoying changes like increasing video player size and changing the like bar to blue to appease advertisers...

...And yet, myself and everyone will use it as there is no viable alternative with the same wealth of content as youtube.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Seriously, it's pretty hard to ruin a site based on watching videos, but I guess that this was Google's way of essentially forcing people to use their social network, which has gone over oh so well  ::)  Is there a way to post comments on YouTube without having to sign up for Google+?  I'm assuming that there isn't, but I just thought I'd ask.  Hell, the only reason I have a YouTube channel in the first place is because they practically force you to create one if you want to be able to use YouTube on your phone, haha.  Thanks.

Why would you possibly want to comment on YouTube in the first place?  Are you crazy?

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Why would you possibly want to comment on YouTube in the first place?  Are you crazy?

No!  Well, maybe a little ::) my mother had me tested (sarcasm).  It was more of a question to do with having to use Google+ to comment, which I just didn't want to do lol.  That's really it ;D  How is Google+, though (if you've used it)?  I just don't see the point in being on all of these social networks.  Facebook is more than enough for me, but I like this site so much better!  You guys rock! :)

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:38 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Youtube has degraded so much that it is hard to use. The UI and site layout are horrible, I wouldnt even be able to tolerate the ads without adblock, they shoved the failure of Google+ down our throats, and make annoying changes like increasing video player size and changing the like bar to blue to appease advertisers...

...And yet, myself and everyone will use it as there is no viable alternative with the same wealth of content as youtube.

Ugh - agreed (unfortunately).  TP.  I mean, it was fine just the way it was.  Just LEAVE IT ALONE! ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:25:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Btw, Quetzalcoatl, how did you choose that name haha? ;D

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
One thing I particularly dislike is that Google disallowed of recovering your old account from years past. I originally joined YT in 2006 and deleted my account in 2010. Well, they had the option for recovering your deleted account and its videos which I didn't know about. I think they did away with that feature in 2011, figures.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:03 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have kept my old, more anonymous YouTube account, though I like Google+. I have no interest in comments about YouTube videos being attributed to me. Are there even security settings for YouTube comments?

I have heard horror stories of improper thumbnails of YouTube videos appearing on people's google+ feeds.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:58 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
One thing I particularly dislike is that Google disallowed of recovering your old account from years past. I originally joined YT in 2006 and deleted my account in 2010. Well, they had the option for recovering your deleted account and its videos which I didn't know about. I think they did away with that feature in 2011, figures.
What is the point of deleting an account?

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 01:09:01 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I need to learn more about google and the privacy settings. I do not want to be apart of google+, and i really never ever want people to be able to see what I'm going on the internet or on youtube. Nothing bad just personal.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I need to learn more about google and the privacy settings. I do not want to be apart of google+, and i really never ever want people to be able to see what I'm going on the internet or on youtube. Nothing bad just personal.

I couldn't agree more, which is why I haven't commented since Google+ linked with YouTube (I might have made a whopping 3 comments in 2 years, for the record).  The problem that everyone had was that you couldn't comment on YouTube without having a Google+ account, which hadn't been the case in the past.  Oh, you could keep your channel exactly how it was before Google+, but you couldn't comment on anything, and to make matters worse, they always tried to get me to change my name to be the same across every Google platform (gmail, google+, youtube, etc).  I chose instead to ignore it and keep my old username.  I did accidentally make a Google+ account once, but don't worry (like I did at the time lol), unlike facebook, it's very easy to delete it.  They have a walk through and everything :) 

For the most part, I've always liked Google, but like Smokeeye123 said, I really resented having their product forced down my throat just so that I could continue to use and enjoy a site that I had been using for years without any issues, and a ton of people felt this way.  The backlash towards Google was pretty ugly in the comments section lol.