Author Topic: Woj: Afflalo to Denver  (Read 5961 times)

Re: Woj: Afflalo to Denver
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I guess Zach Lowe makes a good point:

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
And Rob Hennigan, ORL GM, is not one to make a deal without doing due diligence w/ all 29 other teams.

He's only been a GM for 2 years and this will be his 5th trade (and one of those 5 was the sign-and-trade of Ryan Anderson, which he likely had no control over).  Does he really have a reputation already with only 3 real trades before this one?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Looks to me like there needs to be a thread on how some people overrate other teams players...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The magic don't want to win any games next year....

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
And Rob Hennigan, ORL GM, is not one to make a deal without doing due diligence w/ all 29 other teams.

He's only been a GM for 2 years and this will be his 5th trade (and one of those 5 was the sign-and-trade of Ryan Anderson, which he likely had no control over).  Does he really have a reputation already with only 3 real trades before this one?

He trained for eight years under RC Buford and Sam Presti and has gotten a reputation for being a patient guy who sticks to his process of looking at all options.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Wow...Is David Stern behind this  ;)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA

He trained for eight years under RC Buford and Sam Presti and has gotten a reputation for being a patient guy who sticks to his process of looking at all options.

Also, Hennigan & Lowe seem to be of the same analytics ilk.  Wouldn't be surprised if those two have crossed paths or even gotten to know one another.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Strange. it seems we could've had Afflalo for... Chris Johnson and Philly's protected first rounder (aka 2 2nd rounders).

These are strange trades so far.
- LilRip

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Trade increases likelihood ORL drafts a guard, which would take them out of Embiid stakes.  So what is the latest on what Utah likely to do? Heard they don't have access to his medical records. Does that necessarily mean they won't draft him?  The fact that they would offer Favors so freely to trade up suggests to me they don't have a lot of confidence in building around him.  Is Vonleh their guy? Gordon?  Anyone but Embiid, hopefully. 

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
perhaps orlando is not looking for basketball talent through this trade, but salary space. in which case it makes some sense. the cap hit is $7,500,000 each year for the next two years.

for ainge, he may have decided that this is more than he wishes to pay for a good player, but one who will not move the celtics to the next level.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/26/5845674/arron-afflalo-trade-nuggets-magic-evan-fournier

"At $7.75 million, Afflalo's salary will have to be balanced against Fournier's $1.48 million and the trade exception Denver received after sending Andre Iguodala to Golden State last year in a three-team deal. With the move, Orlando moves well below the salary floor for 2014-15 with 12 players on their roster before restricted free agency. It likely gives the Magic the ability to take on large amounts of salary in a sign and trade or to sign a large contract in free agency."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Woah, is that the best Orlando could do?

Geez... I would take Aflalo for that deal in a heartbeat.

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Conclusions -

Ainge doesn't want Affalo...obviously.

More importantly, Orlando is in the market for a guard. The assumption they will draft one maybe right and it maybe wrong.

There are guards to be had who are not 20 years old.
Bledsoe
Rondo...etc Longshots, but, Orlando GM is competent, might have a deal for a guard lined up, he's got some decent pieces down there already.

Jameer Nelson is not the PG of the future.....might have a deal coming.

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If Ainge doesn't want Afflalo or Asik, it kind of paints the picture of a full blown youth movement happening in a few hours.  I'm knocking up the Rondo trade potential from 40% to 49%. 

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If Ainge doesn't want Afflalo or Asik, it kind of paints the picture of a full blown youth movement happening in a few hours.  I'm knocking up the Rondo trade potential from 40% to 49%.

I agree, both where available for reasonable and DA did not jump on them. This signals to me that the plan is Star or blow it up. If love isnt coming to boston I think Rondo's hours are numbered.

Also in regards to the Afflalo trade I was surprised to see that Fournier is still only 21. I would have thought the magic could have gotten more for Afflalo but at only 21 he should be a nice fit as their 6th man 2/3 backup.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I agree, both where available for reasonable and DA did not jump on them. This signals to me that the plan is Star or blow it up. If love isnt coming to boston I think Rondo's hours are numbered.

Also in regards to the Afflalo trade I was surprised to see that Fournier is still only 21. I would have thought the magic could have gotten more for Afflalo but at only 21 he should be a nice fit as their 6th man 2/3 backup.
On the flip side, the Asik thing was always super overblown.   Fans got themselves into an uproar and obsessed over him for months simply because Ainge was willing to trade Brandon Bass for him.    I'm not sure Asik was ever a real target.  Gortat might be more likely.

And as for losing out on Afflalo... I think any Kevin Love trade would involve the team taking back Kevin Martin.  There's no need for Afflalo if you had Kevin Martin. 

So there's still hope for that Kevin Love thing, but I wouldn't hold your breathe.

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Woah, is that the best Orlando could do?

Geez... I would take Aflalo for that deal in a heartbeat.

Are you willing to pay Afflalo what he is likely to want when he probably becomes a free agent next summer?  I'm okay with chasing after Love and Asik because I would be willing to give them similar dollars to what they are likely to get offered as free agents in 2015.  Afflalo is the kind of player I would stay away from in free agency.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference