Author Topic: ESPN's Jeff Goodman thinks Embiid will fall to #10  (Read 16736 times)

Re: ESPN's Jeff Goodman thinks Embiid will fall to #10
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
This would be a perfect scenario for us, especially if we aren't able to land Love. We could trade Rondo to either LA or Sacramento and potentially land Embiid after drafting Smart with our own pick.

Trading Rondo should never be part of the "perfect scenario".

It makes sense in a world where all the top draft picks hit their ceilings and do so quickly...

And thus the thread is doomed for derailment once Rondo's public relations manager makes an appearance...

You're the one who brought up trading Rondo in your first post.  You doomed yourself.

Bloody Mary, bloody Mary, bloody ...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2014, 08:43:36 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Magic are reportedly gathering as much information as they can on the status of Joel Embiid.

Orlando sentinel

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The Magic are reportedly gathering as much information as they can on the status of Joel Embiid.

Orlando sentinel
Shhhh don't give it to them centers go there to only want out
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Orlando sentinel

I'm hoping Tellem withholds his medical records.   :)

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Orlando sentinel

I'm hoping Tellem withholds his medical records.   :)
Don't Tellem ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So Embiid may go to the Magic after all?

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
He's out 4-6 months... doesn't that mean he'll be back in January?

Can't see him falling to 10. 

Or maybe even at the start of the season if it's actually only 4 months... which it never is.

They'll probably get Exum and look to trade MCW for a lottery pick. I don't think they want to wait another year for a big to recover from injury.

Can't see him falling past 6, if you know what I mean.
He probably isn't falling past 4, honestly.

Philly will probably take him 3rd if Wiggins/Parker are both off the board.  Exum is redundant with MCW... and they really don't have any need to be immediately good.   Philly will roll with a future core of Noel, Embiid, MCW... + the top 5 2015 pick they'll get from tanking again.

Orlando ends up taking Exum since he's perfect for them.   Unless we trade up, I don't see us getting Embiid.

I don't think the Sixers are willing to wait for another lottery pick to recover from injury. I think they'll take Exum and probably shop MCW for a draft pick.
Sure they are.  They are a few years away anyways.  They can handle waiting for Embiid to arrive in January.

Still I don't think the Sixers are going to gamble their pick on a big with back and foot problems. They could become chronic especially in big men. Also Noel plays better at the five.

Seems strategically unwise for Philly to take Embiid at 3 when they still may have a shot at him at 10.  Go for the surer thing at 3 and get Embiid or, at worst, another promising player at 10.  That's a lower risk and still high reward gamble for the sixers.

But don't you think most GMs will expect Ainge to take him at 6?

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2014, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It could just be posturing.  I don't think you can read much into anything teams are saying or doing.

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2014, 09:14:30 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think Embiid is the best player in the draft. But I also think he will have a short career. Bad back, bad foot...

Thoughts of Oden just pop into my head. IMO best case is he drops to us and that's enough to get Love away from Minny.

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Orlando sentinel

The article also said:

But it seems highly unlikely that Orlando would draft a player ? even a player as talented and as highly regarded as Embiid ? without knowing the full details about the player?s health.

So Tellum really wields a lot of power here.  I wonder if what Simmons said is true, that Tellum wants to steer Embiid to the Celtics or Lakers if he doesn't go first. 

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2014, 09:23:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He's out 4-6 months... doesn't that mean he'll be back in January?

Can't see him falling to 10. 

Or maybe even at the start of the season if it's actually only 4 months... which it never is.

They'll probably get Exum and look to trade MCW for a lottery pick. I don't think they want to wait another year for a big to recover from injury.

Can't see him falling past 6, if you know what I mean.
He probably isn't falling past 4, honestly.

Philly will probably take him 3rd if Wiggins/Parker are both off the board.  Exum is redundant with MCW... and they really don't have any need to be immediately good.   Philly will roll with a future core of Noel, Embiid, MCW... + the top 5 2015 pick they'll get from tanking again.

Orlando ends up taking Exum since he's perfect for them.   Unless we trade up, I don't see us getting Embiid.

I don't think the Sixers are willing to wait for another lottery pick to recover from injury. I think they'll take Exum and probably shop MCW for a draft pick.
Sure they are.  They are a few years away anyways.  They can handle waiting for Embiid to arrive in January.

Still I don't think the Sixers are going to gamble their pick on a big with back and foot problems. They could become chronic especially in big men. Also Noel plays better at the five.

Seems strategically unwise for Philly to take Embiid at 3 when they still may have a shot at him at 10.  Go for the surer thing at 3 and get Embiid or, at worst, another promising player at 10.  That's a lower risk and still high reward gamble for the sixers.

But don't you think most GMs will expect Ainge to take him at 6?
I can't see the Sixers taking Embiid. Not only will be out at the start of the season, but they have Noel finally ready to play. They need more of a sure thing (Parker, Wiggins, Smart, Exum) and move on from rebuilding/tanking to molding a competitive team. They should go for BPA and then make some roster cleanup moves to take care of logjam positions.

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Some more Goodman info:

Jeff Goodman
‏@GoodmanESPN
One NBA GM picking in Top 10 on Embiid: "My medical people told me flat-out not to take him."

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Some more Goodman info:

Jeff Goodman
‏@GoodmanESPN
One NBA GM picking in Top 10 on Embiid: "My medical people told me flat-out not to take him."

Before or after medical diagnosis and medical report

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Some more Goodman info:

Jeff Goodman
‏@GoodmanESPN

You think it is probably bs?

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
TP for the first person to come up with the most inconsequential foot injury in NBA history.

This has got to be in the running.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txhawksbibby

LOL TP for the answer. After I saw your answer I realized that my question was kind of misleading. What I meant to ask was the most famous foot injury that had little impact on the player -- and the answer obviously is MJ's foot injury that kept him out of a substantial portion of his sophomore season in the NBA.