Author Topic: ESPN's Jeff Goodman thinks Embiid will fall to #10  (Read 16718 times)

Re: ESPN's Jeff Goodman thinks Embiid will fall to #10
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
It would have to be absolute worst case scenario medically for him to drop to #10.  Like really bad diagnois, IMO.

say in a complete rebuild scenario which involves trading Rondo, we can actually grab Embiid at 6 if he does fall that far, trade Rondo/Green or both of them for another high top 10 pick and see if we can grab Smart...

top 5 without Embiid is going

Wiggins/Parker/Exum/Vonelah/ and maybe even Randle

us drafting Embiid at 6 will push the others back

I mentioned yesterday that I'd be against taking Embiid at #6 because if he's there, its most likely some really bad stuff going on medically.

However, to play along,  I would hold onto Green & Rondo in that scenario and see what the Celtics could do with Rondo/Green/Embiid rather than blowing it up and bringing in more rookies.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
He said this just now on SportsCenter. He also had his top 5 going like this, with some of his comments in parentheses:

1. Cavs- Parker (more ready to play/win now than Wiggins)
2. Bucks- Wiggins
3. Sixers - Vonleh (doesn't like the way Exum would look with MCW)
4. Magic- Exum
5. Jazz- Randle

Id love for it to be Aaron Gordon at 5. That way Randle falls.

Rondo, Green, #17 (or whatever )for #7,8

6. Smart
7. Embiid
8. Randle

Thats the start of our new core

Personally I think Randle is super underrated in this draft, and I have been saying it since before he was born. He has a jump shot and great moves...he does need to work on defense though, but he has lost 4% body weight since the combine, the kids a worker.

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think Green, given his contract, yields as high a draft pick as people seem to be expecting.

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 01:20:11 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Many mocks have Embiid going to Orlando......

Noel fell to 6, in a far weaker draft, with a lesser injury.

While we are on that same train of thought, Embiid is by far the bigger prospect of the two, and even considered healthy, many of the teams didn't have confidence in what Noel brought to the table.

Yes, Noel fell... but the opportunity cost on missing out on Noel or Embiid is not nearly the same. But as you point out, there's a cost on passing up on healthy talent on this draft.

So the situations are not really all that comparable for prognostication once one gets into the details.

Orlando has a 23 year old 7 foot center who just averaged 14 and 11 last season and they desperately want a point guard.  Gambling on Embiid doesn't make sense for them when they can draft Exum or Smart.

Thats what I thought too, but some are saying that helps hedge the risk.

But they would also risk losing out on Exum or Smart who they reportedly love.

haha I know literally my thoughts, I hope your right. But at least a few think having that center is like an insurance policy incase Embiid goes dumb and he needs to be put down or sent to the glue factory.

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This would be a perfect scenario for us, especially if we aren't able to land Love. We could trade Rondo to either LA or Sacramento and potentially land Embiid after drafting Smart with our own pick.

Trading Rondo should never be part of the "perfect scenario".

It makes sense in a world where all the top draft picks hit their ceilings and do so quickly...

And thus the thread is doomed for derailment once Rondo's public relations manager makes an appearance...

It might be simpler to start your own blog where people aren't allowed to disagree with you instead of constantly whining when it happens,  which seems to be fairly ineffective.

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It would have to be absolute worst case scenario medically for him to drop to #10.  Like really bad diagnois, IMO.

say in a complete rebuild scenario which involves trading Rondo, we can actually grab Embiid at 6 if he does fall that far, trade Rondo/Green or both of them for another high top 10 pick and see if we can grab Smart...

top 5 without Embiid is going

Wiggins/Parker/Exum/Vonelah/ and maybe even Randle

us drafting Embiid at 6 will push the others back

I mentioned yesterday that I'd be against taking Embiid at #6 because if he's there, its most likely some really bad stuff going on medically.

However, to play along,  I would hold onto Green & Rondo in that scenario and see what the Celtics could do with Rondo/Green/Embiid rather than blowing it up and bringing in more rookies.

They're saying that Embiid will likely miss his entire rookie season, so seeing what Rondo/Green/Embiid could do is not an option.

According to Dr. Kenneth Hunt, an Assistant Professor of Orthopedics at Stanford, a stress fracture in a navicular bone is "a classic overuse injury" found often in basketball and volleyball players.
"The most common treatment is to make small incisions to place one or two screws across the fracture to stabilize it," Hunt said. "If the fracture is displaced, a bone graft can accelerate healing."
Hunt noted that despite the high profile examples of athletes who have battled recurrences of a navicular fracture, "the healing rates of this fracture are high."
"The majority of these injuries will heal completely," Hunt said. "Getting to it early is a good prognostic sign. In his case, it appears it was treated early and appropriately. In the cases I have seen, the athletes that have recurrent fractures have high arches and stiff feet. They can develop large spurs in the adjacent bones. But again, to the majority of athletes this will heal and not be an issue in the future."
As for recovery time, Hunt said that players generally resume basketball activities in 4-6 months and are ready to play in nine months, though in some cases it can be closer to a year.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140619/joel-embiid-stress-fracture-2014-nba-draft/#ixzz35CWo2HD0

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He said this just now on SportsCenter. He also had his top 5 going like this, with some of his comments in parentheses:

1. Cavs- Parker (more ready to play/win now than Wiggins)
2. Bucks- Wiggins
3. Sixers - Vonleh (doesn't like the way Exum would look with MCW)
4. Magic- Exum
5. Jazz- Randle

Id love for it to be Aaron Gordon at 5. That way Randle falls.

Rondo, Green, #17 (or whatever )for #7,8

6. Smart
7. Embiid
8. Randle

Thats the start of our new core

Personally I think Randle is super underrated in this draft, and I have been saying it since before he was born. He has a jump shot and great moves...he does need to work on defense though, but he has lost 4% body weight since the combine, the kids a worker.

I'm not sure Randle will be an upgrade over Sully which IMO I would go the route of Embiid, Smart, and a wing player like McDermott.

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I just don't see Embiid slipping past us at 6.  As Ford said, Danny is a risk taker.  The upside is too promising. He has a good relationship with the agent, which should give him access to all the medical information he may need.

The only thing I can see screwing this up is if Lebron tells Cleveland, "hey, if you get me so and so, I will sign with you guys," and Cleveland then sends the pick somewhere else in exchange for a player LBJ wants to team up with at Cleveland. 

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Many mocks have Embiid going to Orlando......

Absolutely no chance.  They already have a legit proven 7 footer who averages a double double in this league and way too many holes on the roster to take yet another center, one with injury concerns.  Orlando will grab a guard or 4.  If theres a team in the lotto that needs to trade back and add picks its Orlando.  Other than Vujeciv and Oladipo there is absolutely no one of any value on that roster. 

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This would be a perfect scenario for us, especially if we aren't able to land Love. We could trade Rondo to either LA or Sacramento and potentially land Embiid after drafting Smart with our own pick.

Trading Rondo should never be part of the "perfect scenario".

It makes sense in a world where all the top draft picks hit their ceilings and do so quickly...

And thus the thread is doomed for derailment once Rondo's public relations manager makes an appearance...

It might be simpler to start your own blog where people aren't allowed to disagree with you instead of constantly whining when it happens,  which seems to be fairly ineffective.

It's hypocritical for you to say that when every time Rondo's mentioned in trade talks or is criticized you rush to his defense as if you were being paid by the word. You should listen to your own advice and start up Rondoblog or some other site that marvels all things Rondo.

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Does anyone actually think that Jeff Goodman knows anything?  I think he's the same moron that was pulling for Danny to sign Dan Dickau.  Just, no.  Plus, he always looks like he's about to spit out a huge piece of chewin' tobacky ::) mmmmmmmmmm!

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
TP for the first person to come up with the most inconsequential foot injury in NBA history.

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I just don't see Embiid slipping past us at 6.  As Ford said, Danny is a risk taker.  The upside is too promising. He has a good relationship with the agent, which should give him access to all the medical information he may need.

The only thing I can see screwing this up is if Lebron tells Cleveland, "hey, if you get me so and so, I will sign with you guys," and Cleveland then sends the pick somewhere else in exchange for a player LBJ wants to team up with at Cleveland.

Did you see Noel falling to 6th last year with injury?

Cleveland wont take him.

Bucks, maybe, but they already spent a bunch on Sanders who is close to the same player on defense. They would be smarter to grab an other potion to fill the team out.

76ers have Noel

Magic have Vucevic who is 23 and avg's 14/8. They also would be better to draft a PG or SF.

Utah has Kanter and Favors, two established guys that they just have to make a choice of who to keep. Even trading one to bring in Embiid makes no sense, since their biggest issue is one of them can't space the floor.

That leaves Boston who really needs a Center.

Now this doesn't say that one of these teams wont take him, but it's possible.

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
TP for the first person to come up with the most inconsequential foot injury in NBA history.

This has got to be in the running.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txhawksbibby

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

This has got to be in the running.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txhawksbibby

Ha...I'd agree.    I was going to throw out a stubbed toe.    Pierce actually had one a couple of seasons ago. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team