Author Topic: ESPN's Jeff Goodman thinks Embiid will fall to #10  (Read 16737 times)

Re: ESPN's Jeff Goodman thinks Embiid will fall to #10
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This would be a perfect scenario for us, especially if we aren't able to land Love. We could trade Rondo to either LA or Sacramento and potentially land Embiid after drafting Smart with our own pick.

Trading Rondo should never be part of the "perfect scenario".

It makes sense in a world where all the top draft picks hit their ceilings and do so quickly...

And thus the thread is doomed for derailment once Rondo's public relations manager makes an appearance...

You're the one who brought up trading Rondo in your first post.  You doomed yourself.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
they lost me with Randle at 5

Well, the Jazz don't like Smart, have Favors at the 5, and...

Andy Katz
‏@ESPNAndyKatz
Julius Randle worked out well for Jazz Thursday. Didn't show signs of foot issue, but teams are suggesting surgery to prevent later damage.

I admit I didn't see many Jazz games this year, but doesn't Favors play the 4 for them, with Kanter at the 5?  Or do they split time at C?

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Andy Katz
‏@ESPNAndyKatz
Julius Randle worked out well for Jazz Thursday. Didn't show signs of foot issue, but teams are suggesting surgery to prevent later damage.

I admit I didn't see many Jazz games this year, but doesn't Favors play the 4 for them, with Kanter at the 5?  Or do they split time at C?

There has been a lot of talk about them trading Kanter and moving Favors to the 5, so this is consistent with that rumor.

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I forget...  Did Blake griffin get injured before or after he was drafted ?  It must have been after ... How far do you think he would have fell in the draft had his injury happened before the draft ?

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Many mocks have Embiid going to Orlando......

Noel fell to 6, in a far weaker draft, with a lesser injury.

While we are on that same train of thought, Embiid is by far the bigger prospect of the two, and even considered healthy, many of the teams didn't have confidence in what Noel brought to the table.

Yes, Noel fell... but the opportunity cost on missing out on Noel or Embiid is not nearly the same. But as you point out, there's a cost on passing up on healthy talent on this draft.

So the situations are not really all that comparable for prognostication once one gets into the details.

Orlando has a 23 year old 7 foot center who just averaged 14 and 11 last season and they desperately want a point guard.  Gambling on Embiid doesn't make sense for them when they can draft Exum or Smart.

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I forget...  Did Blake griffin get injured before or after he was drafted ?  It must have been after ... How far do you think he would have fell in the draft had his injury happened before the draft ?

If I recall, Blake was diagnosed with an injury which kept him out all of 2009-10 AFTER he was drafted.

So, that certainly helps make the case for drafting Embiid. because look at Griffin now.

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

In a preseason game.  I think a broken kneecap, while it sounds nasty, isn't the long-term concern that a stress fracture in a foot or torn knee ligaments or chronic back issues would be.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Goodman just referred to Rondo as a scoring point guard so you may want to take what he says with a grain of salt.  I'm just saying.

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Goodman just referred to Rondo as a scoring point guard so you may want to take what he says with a grain of salt.  I'm just saying.

Lol

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 01:01:56 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

While we are on that same train of thought, Embiid is by far the bigger prospect of the two, and even considered healthy, many of the teams didn't have confidence in what Noel brought to the table.

Yes, Noel fell... but the opportunity cost on missing out on Noel or Embiid is not nearly the same. But as you point out, there's a cost on passing up on healthy talent on this draft.

So the situations are not really all that comparable for prognostication once one gets into the details.

Orlando has a 23 year old 7 foot center who just averaged 14 and 11 last season and they desperately want a point guard.  Gambling on Embiid doesn't make sense for them when they can draft Exum or Smart.
Well see bet theres somebody before us who sees the opportunity as too good to pass up. Does Orlando care about winning NOW i doubt it
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It would have to be absolute worst case scenario medically for him to drop to #10.  Like really bad diagnois, IMO.

It already basically is for a big man.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=11110011

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Andy Katz
‏@ESPNAndyKatz

The Jazz eventually moved Favors to the five where he did well.

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It would have to be absolute worst case scenario medically for him to drop to #10.  Like really bad diagnois, IMO.

say in a complete rebuild scenario which involves trading Rondo, we can actually grab Embiid at 6 if he does fall that far, trade Rondo/Green or both of them for another high top 10 pick and see if we can grab Smart...

top 5 without Embiid is going

Wiggins/Parker/Exum/Vonelah/ and maybe even Randle

us drafting Embiid at 6 will push the others back

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Thats what I thought too, but some are saying that helps hedge the risk.

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Thats what I thought too, but some are saying that helps hedge the risk.

But they would also risk losing out on Exum or Smart who they reportedly love.