Author Topic: Should we target Detroit?s Monroe if we can?t get Love?  (Read 4867 times)

Should we target Detroit?s Monroe if we can?t get Love?
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Was listening to ESPN radio this morning and of course they are all over the KLove to GSW.  So, (not that I?m resigning that it will happen but) there?s a good probability that it might happen.  Isn?t Greg Monroe a RFA and looking for a big payday since Det is already committed to Drummond at Center?
Should the C?s look to trade someone like Sully and #6 (an possible future pick) for Monroe? Would Greg Monroe be enough to keep the Rondo with the C?s?
Then pursue Asik with at TPE?
Would that work for Boston and Detroit?

Re: Should we target Detroit?s Monroe if we can?t get Love?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I like this idea.

As I mentioned in another post, if we miss out on Love, I don't think we should fold and go for a 5 year rebuild.

There's plenty of other good players out there.

I think a Rondo/Monroe/Asik threesome would be awesome.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
I like this idea.

As I mentioned in another post, if we miss out on Love, I don't think we should fold and go for a 5 year rebuild.

I'd like to see Danny propose it to Detroit and get some feelers out there. I know that they can't play JSmooth at the 3 and I think a higher lotto pick might do it.
I would then sign Monroe to a longer term pretty close to Max contract. Use the TPE to get rim protector in Asik.

Our only glaring weakness would be a legit deadly 3 pt shooter and a shot creator (SG/SF).

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I like this idea.

I'd like to see Danny propose it to Detroit and get some feelers out there. I know that they can't play JSmooth at the 3 and I think a higher lotto pick might do it.
I would then sign Monroe to a longer term pretty close to Max contract. Use the TPE to get rim protector in Asik.

Our only glaring weakness would be a legit deadly 3 pt shooter and a shot creator (SG/SF).

The two hurdles here would be

1.)I don't believe this can happen til after July 1st as Monroe is a RFA.

2.)Does Monroe agree to come to Boston?

I would think he would (unless Detroit decides to keep Monroe and deal Smoove.)

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I'm not in love with Monroe. That deal would come with a bit of trepidation.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Not sure about the #6 for Monroe.  Nice player but not a game changer.  And not enough IMO to keep Rondo here because this team would still not be very good.  And getting Asik and Monroe doesn't make much sense to me as both are centers. 

I hate to say it but missing out on Love probably means bye bye Rondo.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
way too much for Monroe.  I don't even like him much.

I'd rather focus on getting Embiid. Seems to be within our grasp, should not take much for us to slide up if necessary to 4 to get him. Especially if ORL still likes Smart.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

also cannot do it.  monroe is an rfa, cannot be traded unless he agrees to a contract with a team and pistons decide not to match and both sides agree to a sign and trade to facilitate.  a team cannot negotiate or speak with a potential free agent until free agency begins july 1.  a future draft pick sure, this draft the 6, no. 

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
I'm not in love with Monroe. That deal would come with a bit of trepidation.

yes he's a great offensive player, and rebounder but just kinda curious as to what part of his game don't you like?

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell

also cannot do it.  monroe is an rfa, cannot be traded unless he agrees to a contract with a team and pistons decide not to match and both sides agree to a sign and trade to facilitate.  a team cannot negotiate or speak with a potential free agent until free agency begins july 1.  a future draft pick sure, this draft the 6, no.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
way too much for Monroe.  I don't even like him much.

I'd rather focus on getting Embiid. Seems to be within our grasp, should not take much for us to slide up if necessary to 4 to get him. Especially if ORL still likes Smart.

The guy with the back and foot problems?

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The good thing about RFAs is that they are usually easier to attain than your typical player under contract. I don't think there is any way we would have to give up the #6. Earlier in the year we discussed giving up Green and a first - this still seems reasonable. Det would love to have a pick in this draft and the #17 seems more fair to me...and we still get to keep our #6!

If we keep Monroe at center, then we should be all set, but if we are still intent on bringing in a guy like Asik, then one of KO/Sully needs to go - and sf would then become a glaring need.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Not sure about the #6 for Monroe.  Nice player but not a game changer.  And not enough IMO to keep Rondo here because this team would still not be very good.  And getting Asik and Monroe doesn't make much sense to me as both are centers. 

I hate to say it but missing out on Love probably means bye bye Rondo.

Monroe is a power forward.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Hmmm....I am pretty sure such a trade can still happen.

I do realize because he's an RFA, it would have to wait til after July 1st.

However, if Monroe agreed to come to Boston, then Detroit could still sign and trade him here for a player or players of equal value (which could or would include a draft pick.)

Is that not correct?

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell

duplicate