Author Topic: Klay Thompson's Dad says Love to GSW (rumor/offer)  (Read 40516 times)

Re: Klay Thompson's Dad says Love to GSW (rumor/offer)
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
@WojYahooNBA  24s
Still several teams pursuing Kevin Love who don't believe Minnesota's Flip Saunders is in a deal-making mode -- yet.

I believe Saunders is still interested in trying to put together a winning team that will convince Love to stay.  My take-away from this entire thread is that to agree to a deal now, Flip is probably going to want both an established above-average NBA starter and a quality draft pick.  I tend to believe the rumor that Minnesota is not enthusiastic about a stash of picks unless it is high-enough to snag a guy with a "can't miss" label.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
nacceltic lol are messages have been at the same time or so close lol

Great minds think alike...ha.

« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
OK, I'm as infuriated as anyone about the inconsistency of Jeff Green, but could he be the piece that Minnesota wants as the icing on the cake?

Klay Thompson & David Lee (reported Minny wants a pick too) v. Sullinger or Olynyk, 6th or 17th and filler

Kenneth Faried, Wilson Chandler & the 11th pick v. Sullinger or Olynyk, 6th or 17th and filler

To me, depending on the picks, the Celtics might be short one piece in the eyes of Saunders...Maybe he's looking for Avery Bradley or Jeff Green?  Just compare the deals and it's definitely possible in my eyes.

Klay & David Lee v. Sullinger/Olynyk & Bradley/Green --> If not a wash, slight edge to C's...Then add that 6th or 17th and it's without a doubt the C's deal is better.

Faried & Wilson Chandler v. Sullinger/Olynyk & Bradley & Green -->  C's have edge...Not to mention that the C's have the 6th pick, which is obviously much better than the 11th...

Is Danny trying to hang on to Bradley & Green as assets for other deals or does he believe Green is the perfect #3 guy?  Just some food for thought.

« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
OK, I'm as infuriated as anyone about the inconsistency of Jeff Green, but could he be the piece that Minnesota wants as the icing on the cake?

Klay Thompson & David Lee (reported Minny wants a pick too) v. Sullinger or Olynyk, 6th or 17th and filler

Kenneth Faried, Wilson Chandler & the 11th pick v. Sullinger or Olynyk, 6th or 17th and filler

To me, depending on the picks, the Celtics might be short one piece in the eyes of Saunders...Maybe he's looking for Avery Bradley or Jeff Green?  Just compare the deals and it's definitely possible in my eyes.

Klay & David Lee v. Sullinger/Olynyk & Bradley/Green --> If not a wash, slight edge to C's...Then add that 6th or 17th and it's without a doubt the C's deal is better.

Faried & Wilson Chandler v. Sullinger/Olynyk & Bradley & Green -->  C's have edge...Not bto mention that the C's have the 6th pick, which is obviously much better than the 11th...

Is Danny trying to hang on to Bradley & Green as assets for other deals or does he believe Green is the perfect #3 guy?  Just some food for thought.

I doubt Minnesota would consider Green the missing piece, but you can never underestimate the ineptitude of their front office.

« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He's probably not the icing on the cake, but I could see the Celtics getting someone like Josh Smith or Aaron Afflalo and packaging him with Green and a pick for Love.  I could see them preferring Afflalo and #17 instead of #6.  Even if you personally would prefer #6, I think a smart person would be able to understand that Minnesota is capable of having different priorities and want the established player and a later pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If Klay Thompson's dad is saying that:
1)his source is from ESPN
2) his source is 'in the know'

It's probably Ric Bucher.

Take what you will from that.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Lost all hope for Love going to Boston huh?

« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2014, 10:30:49 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Warriors don't mind this position--their history is to slow play it. That's why I don't think they've officially put Klay T in an offer. Yet

Warriors source disputes the idea that Klay Thompson has "been made available" to Minnesota in Kevin Love talks. Not GSWs' style, anyway...

tim kawakami

« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Klay Thompson's dad is Mychal Thompson - the former Laker, who, until they got Pau Gasol for peanuts, was acquired mid-season in 1987 in a deal that was, perhaps, the biggest steal this side of the Louisiana Purchase (I believe that's how Bill Bertka described it, but I could be wrong).  Seriously, how do the Lakers always seem to get great players for crap? 

So, yeah, I'm sure he's got his own agenda here.  Yeah  ::)  Just so we're clear, I'm being sarcastic.

« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
 Maybe I'm completely undervaluing what Klay Thompson is, but I find it very interesting that he would be involved in the same trade as Kevin Martin, and the T Wolves seeing that as an upgrade at that position. He shoots a smidge better from three, but Klay looks to be trending pretty close to what Kevin Martin has been for his entire career.

So lets solve this using math:

Klay Thompson = Kevin Martin
David Lee < Kevin Love

Klay Thompson + David Lee for Kevin Martin + Kevin Love = Minnesota Timberwolves are morons.

Another Minnesota smoke screen to get the Celtics to up their offer. I'm starting to think the T Wolves are dead set on getting Boston's 17th pick in this draft along with their 6th and the Celtics just aren't biting yet because they believe they just don't have to include it for the T Wolves to accept their offer.

« Reply #297 on: June 20, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Maybe I'm completely undervaluing what Klay Thompson is, but I find it very interesting that he would be involved in the same trade as Kevin Martin, and the T Wolves seeing that as an upgrade at that position. He shoots a smidge better from three, but Klay looks to be trending pretty close to what Kevin Martin has been for his entire career.

So lets solve this using math:

Klay Thompson = Kevin Martin
David Lee < Kevin Love

Klay Thompson + David Lee for Kevin Martin + Kevin Love = Minnesota Timberwolves are morons.

Another Minnesota smoke screen to get the Celtics to up their offer. I'm starting to think the T Wolves are dead set on getting Boston's 17th pick in this draft along with their 6th and the Celtics just aren't biting yet because they believe they just don't have to include it for the T Wolves to accept their offer.

You are underestimating the value of Thompson if you think Martin is even close to his equal...