Author Topic: Redskins lose their trademark  (Read 29327 times)

Re: Redskins lose their trademark
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Im at the point now with this that I just want Snyder to change the name because Im tired of hearing about it.  It's gotten old.

I just will never understand though how THIS team will be attacked for having a name that is claimed to be offensive to native americans, when there are native american high schools in Arizona that choose to have their name as Redskins.
Greg

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Im at the point now with this that I just want Snyder to change the name because Im tired of hearing about it.  It's gotten old.

I just will never understand though how THIS team will be attacked for having a name that is claimed to be offensive to native americans, when there are native american high schools in Arizona that choose to have their name as Redskins.

Probably because this is a team that plays on national television sixteen times a year and is owned by a white dude.

I hear what you're saying, but it's slightly different circumstances. It's all about America not being able to address real issues and instead going hardcore after the peripheral side effects of a racialized nation so it can feel good.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Probably because this is a team that plays on national television sixteen times a year and is owned by a white dude.

I hear what you're saying, but it's slightly different circumstances. It's all about America not being able to address real issues and instead going hardcore after the peripheral side effects of a racialized nation so it can feel good.

kind of like 'Hey that redskins name is awful, how offensive to native americans.  What a disgrace!"  "Yeah no kidding.  Youre off for Columbus Day tomorrow right??  Love that guy."
Greg

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

kind of like 'Hey that redskins name is awful, how offensive to native americans.  What a disgrace!"  "Yeah no kidding.  Youre off for Columbus Day tomorrow right??  Love that guy."

Yes, exactly. Or "slavery is America's original sin, want to go watch college football or basketball?"

But now that's going off topic. I just think it's funny people mock Snyder for creating a foundation to help Native American culture when they think changing a name will be more helpful.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I don't really see anything bad about the word redskin.

It's an old fashioned word, not used in a bad way.....

Redskins were fierce warrior Indians  when I grew up .....

I really have to scratch my had over this .....seems so trivial and trite

Sounds like people with nothing to,do,but grind an axe .

People who have no job and nothing to,do better than find fault with everything under the sun

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

People who have no job and nothing to,do better than find fault with everything under the sun

We're entering an age where people are too afraid to talk about race and its effects so they think the solution is wiping it out entirely and saying that biology doesn't support the notion of race.

That is fine, but you can't erase a country's history. Being afraid to say "Yeah, Redskins means Native Americans, a culture victim to genocide at one point in our early history. However, now that we are aware of our mistakes we want to honor the multitude of cultures constituting this nation."

Instead, we are ashamed of our past and just want to eliminate it and not reflect on it.

If I've learned one thing in life it's that everything offends someone. It's the intentions that truly matter I believe. If Snyder created a foundation promoting education for Native Americans then I believe this is just an issue lacking substance--people just want to feel good about themselves.

Has anyone thought that maybe this is the best opportunity to help Native Americans? You know, forcing a billionaire to put his money where his mouth is?

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So someone really thinks people will nickname their team, the guys they're supposed to cheer and root for, with a derogatory term? Why do I not see more teams named the f-ts and the n-rs? This is just beyond dumb.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Did you grow up in the 1700/1800s? Or just watch cowboy and indian looney toons cartoons and john wayne westerns? I think probably the latter.

Saying it is not derogative is a joke.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Don't know about Arizona but a lot of teams where I grew up (Northern NY) had Native American mascots/team names when I was growing up, and almost all have changed.  It takes longer some places, but it's probably inevitable.

Either way, I don't think the Redskins need to be the last Native American-themed team to change their name for it to be a sincere disagreement with the term.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Did you grow up in the 1700/1800s? Or just watch cowboy and indian looney toons cartoons and john wayne westerns? I think probably the latter.

Saying it is not derogative is a joke.

The overwhelming majority of native americans, disagrees. 

Not to repeat, but these are native american high schools. 

Greg

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Don't know about Arizona but a lot of teams where I grew up (Northern NY) had Native American mascots/team names when I was growing up, and almost all have changed.  It takes longer some places, but it's probably inevitable.

Either way, I don't think the Redskins need to be the last Native American-themed team to change their name for it to be a sincere disagreement with the term.

So do you think the government should tell high schools that are 90% native american that they have to change their name because it is offensive to native american people??  Just wondering.

'Merica...if you're not offended.  we'll be offended for you.
Greg

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

So do you think the government should tell high schools that are 90% native american that they have to change their name because it is offensive to native american people??  Just wondering.

'Merica...if you're not offended.  we'll be offended for you.

I know that you mean that as a joke, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. At its worst, it's "social signaling-" fine that's true. At its best, though, it's simply empathy and respect. Regardless of whether it's often abused, the sentiment about the inappropriateness of the Redskins name is still ethically correct.

You don't have to be dead to take justifiable offense when you see someone dancing on a grave.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

also, native americans don't speak with one voice any more than white jewish businessmen do. In this case, you'll probably learn more from the ones who are sensitive about the word because they've learned about their ancestors who were slaughtered and denigrated than from the ones who haven't or have forgotten.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
If the name is changed I hope it is to 'Natives' or something still representing Native Americans and not a complete shift.