Author Topic: Redskins lose their trademark  (Read 29104 times)

Redskins lose their trademark
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If the decision stands that means pretty much anyone can use the name and past logos (though the current one is still trademarked) for whatever purpose they want, which could significantly affect the Redskins bottom line and might actually force the issue of their name.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102096/us-patent-office-cancels-washington-redskins-trademark
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Redskins lose their trademark
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The Team's gotten this overturned before, but I like it.

Dan Snyder remains stubbornly tone deaf (at best).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
First the Bullets, now the Redskins...

Watch out Capitals, you're next!

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Losing trademark will force a name change faster than all the protesting on Earth.  If they start losing that revenue, they'll adapt fast.  Fine with me, it's always seemed like an embarrassment, even though a lot of fans get defensive at the prospect of a switch.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Losing trademark will force a name change faster than all the protesting on Earth.  If they start losing that revenue, they'll adapt fast.  Fine with me, it's always seemed like an embarrassment, even though a lot of fans get defensive at the prospect of a switch.

Maybe, maybe not.  They lost it in 1999, but a court overturned it in 2003.  This is a continuation of that 1999 case.  Snyder is the NFL's Sterling, in terms of suing anyone he can, so I don't see this ending any time soon.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Said the deaf man.  Tone deaf would actually be changing the name.  Poll after poll after poll confirms overwhelming support for retaining the name.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Said the deaf man.  Tone deaf would actually be changing the name.  Poll after poll after poll confirms overwhelming support for retaining the name.
yeah but the masses are often wrong on these types of things. 

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton

Sometimes.  I don't think they are in this case.  In any event, my comment addressed the observation that Snyder is tone deaf.  A great many Native Americans don't have a problem with it either, and in fact have shown support for Snyder in retaining the name.  I don't particularly care much whether they retain the name or not.  This is more an opportunity for pseudo moral preening than it is about any sort of "hate."  Is anybody really "hating" or disparaging Redskins any more than they are Cowboys, or Irish, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:25:27 PM by Mencius »

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sometimes.  I don't think they are in this case.  In any event, my comment addressed the observation that Snyder is tone deaf.  A great many Native Americans don't have a problem with it either, and in fact have shown support for Snyder in retaining the name.  I don't particularly care much whether they retain the name or not.  This is more an opportunity for pseudo moral preening than it is about any sort of "hate."  Is anybody really "hating" or disparaging Redskins any more than they are Cowboys, or Irish, etc, etc.
the fact that you are even equating the Redskins with the Cowboys, pretty much proves you can't trust the masses.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:18:26 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
There's precedent for overturning this. Likely nothing to see here. Lawyers for the team are confident they'll prevail...again.

However, The previous ruling was overturned on "standing" grounds because the appellate court found the plaintiffs in that lawsuit had waited too long to make a complaint (the team had copyrighted the name in 1967). This group of plaintiffs is much younger, so if the appellate court reverses this time, it will have to find a different reason.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:42:44 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton

the fact that you are even equating the Redskins with the Cowboys, pretty much proves you can't trust the masses.
It boils down to whether you think the name is a pejorative or not, much as with any other identifying word.  If you associate the word Redskin with negative things, then it's a pejorative, if not, it's not.  If you associated the word Irish with negative things, it'd be a pejorative.  There's a lot of phony outrage that is nothing more than transparent status signaling.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
There's precedent for overturning this. Likely nothing to see here. Lawyers for the team are confident they'll prevail...again.

However, The previous ruling was overturned on "standing" grounds because the appellate court found the plaintiffs in that lawsuit had waited too long to make a complaint (the team had copyrighted the name in 1967). This group of plaintiffs is much younger, so if the appellate court reverses this time, it will have to find a different reason.

The 2003 appeal involved laches, not standing.  That makes it more interesting because laches is an equitable affirmative defense and judges can use public policy to justify ignoring the defense.

The Redskins' attorney claims that the plaintiffs failed to provide any evidence regarding the Native American population view on whether the mark was disparaging at the time it was registered.  That seems interesting to me as an appellate issue.

Also, I have read that there are common law trade mark protections that Washington could use.  I have no idea whether that is accurate though.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Maybe, maybe not.  They lost it in 1999, but a court overturned it in 2003.  This is a continuation of that 1999 case.  Snyder is the NFL's Sterling, in terms of suing anyone he can, so I don't see this ending any time soon.

Yeah, it's assuming it holds up.  I'm not familiar with the legal specifics or well-equipped to interpret them, so I don't know what the odds are of that, but if it does stick, I'd expect the name change will happen very shortly afterward.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

It boils down to whether you think the name is a pejorative or not, much as with any other identifying word.  If you associate the word Redskin with negative things, then it's a pejorative, if not, it's not.  If you associated the word Irish with negative things, it'd be a pejorative.  There's a lot of phony outrage that is nothing more than transparent status signaling.

I think the issue is more complicated and less phony than you think it is.  A great deal of what leads to prejudice takes place in the subconscious and is based on the formation and confirmation of stereotypes.  When it involves a historically discriminated against and segregated racial group I think it creates a complex issue and shouldn't be brushed aside.  The fact that a poll suggests that some portion of Native Americans are OK with the trademark is only one of many contributing considerations.