Author Topic: Rockets plan on trading Asik and Lin to clear cap space  (Read 5529 times)

Re: Rockets plan on trading Asik and Lin to clear cap space
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »

Offline 18celtics

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I am not sure why the Celtics need to add a draft choice to acquire Asik or Lin. This is a straight salary dump for Houston in order to clear cap space. They need another team to take Asik's and/or Lin's salary or they will not have enough cap space to sign an impact player. Houston should be adding a draft pick for another team to take on this salary, not the other way around.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I am not sure why the Celtics need to add a draft choice to acquire Asik or Lin. This is a straight salary dump for Houston in order to clear cap space. They need another team to take Asik's and/or Lin's salary or they will not have enough cap space to sign an impact player. Houston should be adding a draft pick for another team to take on this salary, not the other way around.

It depends if we're the only team who wants Asik or Lin or both.  If another team is interested and can also acquire them without sending Houston salary, then picks might be sent.  We're one of the more logical destinations, but I'm not certain that we're the only one.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
agreed

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's a tricky situation regarding timing, because if we make the trade wih Houston now and give them cap space, they could grab Melo which would put Chicago out of the Melo race and back into the Love race. I'm hoping we pressure Saunders into trading Love to us on draft night so that he can use the picks himself. Then once we have Love, we can trade with Houston for Asik. When does our trade exception expire exactly?

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
It's a tricky situation regarding timing, because if we make the trade wih Houston now and give them cap space, they could grab Melo which would put Chicago out of the Melo race and back into the Love race. I'm hoping we pressure Saunders into trading Love to us on draft night so that he can use the picks himself. Then once we have Love, we can trade with Houston for Asik. When does our trade exception expire exactly?

TPE expires a few days after the draft I believe

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We should be willing to take on both as it could be the difference between giving up a 1st round pick and getting one back, and the extra pick(s) could be used to get Love.

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Even if the Rockets miss out on Carmelo, i think they should use that cleared space and make an aggressive bid for Chris Bosh. Bosh might even fit better than Melo.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Unless its guanranted that an all-star will sign with them i don't see why they'll add some picks to get rid of them. It'll be easy to trade them since they're not Gerald Wallace type who take $10/yr & do nothing.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

It's actually not that tricky.  We can't actually acquire Asik until July, because he'd put us over the hard cap this year, which we're still subject to through June 30th (it doesn't matter about the luxury tax).  At the same time, we're attempting to acquire Love pre-draft or during the draft, so that situation will resolve itself first, since Minnesota presumably wants to make their own selections.  I think the Love ship sails after we make our pick at 6, unless we desire the same player Minny does (which is possible, I guess.)  The Love situation won't drag into July.

Our trade exception expires July 12th.  It will all be resolved by then.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

ouch! that's cutting it close then

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

It's actually not that tricky.  We can't actually acquire Asik until July, because he'd put us over the hard cap this year, which we're still subject to through June 30th (it doesn't matter about the luxury tax).  At the same time, we're attempting to acquire Love pre-draft or during the draft, so that situation will resolve itself first, since Minnesota presumably wants to make their own selections.  I think the Love ship sails after we make our pick at 6, unless we desire the same player Minny does (which is possible, I guess.)  The Love situation won't drag into July.

Our trade exception expires July 12th.  It will all be resolved by then.

Yep. I think Morey and Ainge have a good enough relationship to agree to a post-draft deal in theory. I think something's already done, TBH.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

ouch! that's cutting it close then

saltlover says July 12th, so we have 2 weeks after the draft to use it

tp for saltlover

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

Help the Rockets to make room by taking care of Lin+Asik would be nice if Houston adds a late 1st and an early 2nd round pick. Send them the TPE for either player, then Bogans+Joel for the other one and get the picks and their 30M combined salary (16M cap-wise).

Then Morey can go after Melo or whoever he thinks would mesh with Harden/Dwight. Win/win.

Help Morey and get paid, maybe a first and a second is too much, but it's Houston who has to give the Celtics additional assets. Asik and Lin will be trade assets in February, but by then the Cs would have paid a combined 20M for those two.

Giving up picks to get those two would be unfair.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
When does TPE expire?  After July 12?

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Even if the Rockets miss out on Carmelo, i think they should use that cleared space and make an aggressive bid for Chris Bosh. Bosh might even fit better than Melo.

And if nothing else, Luol Deng would fit better on that team than Asik and Lin, and won't require the sign-and-trade that Melo and Bosh may.