Author Topic: Rockets plan on trading Asik and Lin to clear cap space  (Read 5538 times)

Rockets plan on trading Asik and Lin to clear cap space
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Not surprise , but first time I have seen this as a rumor
What's more, the Rockets are planning on trading center Omer Asik and point guard Jeremy Lin as a way of making room for the likes of LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh or any other maximum-salary level caliber player who's available. USA Today Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.VloRtZij.dpuf

I have to imagine Danny will try to get in on this and land Asik .

Re: Rockets plan on trading Asik and Lin to clear cap space
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This has been reported for months and months now. Ever since their owner and GM made noise about adding a star its been clear Asik/Lin are on the way out to clear space for such a move.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
this trade seems tailor made for us given our PTE and terminable contracts.  Maybe we can use the pick we extract out of it for Love deal??

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
this trade seems tailor made for us given our PTE and terminable contracts.  Maybe we can use the pick we extract out of it for Love deal??

You can't use the TPE and other contracts in the same deal but it can include draft picks.  This would have to be separate.  It's why Asik for the TPE makes sense...

Here is the exact information

Traded Player Exception[edit]

If a team trades away a player with a higher salary than the player they acquire in return (the deal hereafter referred to as "Trade #1"), they receive a Traded Player Exception, also known as a "Trade Exception". Teams with a trade exception have up to a year in which they can acquire more salary in other trades (Trade #2, #3, etc.) than they send away, as long as the gulf in salaries for Trade #2, #3, etc. are less than or equal to the difference in salary for Trade #1. This exception is particularly useful when teams trade draft picks directly for a player; since draft picks have no salary value, often the only way to get salaries to match is to use a trade exception, which allows trades to be made despite unbalanced salaries. It is also useful to compensate teams for losing free agents, as they can do a sign and trade of that free agent to acquire a trade exception that can be used later. Note this exception is for single player trades only, though additional cash and draft picks can be part of the trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#Traded_Player_Exception
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:37:39 AM by Geo123 »

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
so, Ainge will go at Love by draft night, and then hopeuflly use our TE as well as other picks etc. to take on asik/lin

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
so, Ainge will go at Love by draft night, and then hopeuflly use our TE as well as other picks etc. to take on asik/lin
I like that - hopefully opening roster will be

Rondo/KMartin/JGreen/Love/Asik
Bench: Bradley/KO/Hump (somewhere in there - Pressey, Fav)

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would take Asik, but adding Asik and Lin for the TPE and the no guaranteed deals plus adding Love would put us up over the luxury and make it very hard to add pieces around it. I hope we can trade for just Asik. Although I would much rather use the TPE to get DeAndre even if we had to include a pick or two.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I would take Asik, but adding Asik and Lin for the TPE and the no guaranteed deals plus adding Love would put us up over the luxury and make it very hard to add pieces around it. I hope we can trade for just Asik. Although I would much rather use the TPE to get DeAndre even if we had to include a pick or two.
I think Lin isn't necessarily going to be paired with Asik, though Asik might cost a draft pick instead in that scenario.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
use the TPE and maybe clippers pick for asik not more please..

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have zero interest in taking on Lin.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

You can't use the TPE and other contracts in the same deal but it can include draft picks.  This would have to be separate.  It's why Asik for the TPE makes sense...

Here is the exact information

Traded Player Exception[edit]

If a team trades away a player with a higher salary than the player they acquire in return (the deal hereafter referred to as "Trade #1"), they receive a Traded Player Exception, also known as a "Trade Exception". Teams with a trade exception have up to a year in which they can acquire more salary in other trades (Trade #2, #3, etc.) than they send away, as long as the gulf in salaries for Trade #2, #3, etc. are less than or equal to the difference in salary for Trade #1. This exception is particularly useful when teams trade draft picks directly for a player; since draft picks have no salary value, often the only way to get salaries to match is to use a trade exception, which allows trades to be made despite unbalanced salaries. It is also useful to compensate teams for losing free agents, as they can do a sign and trade of that free agent to acquire a trade exception that can be used later. Note this exception is for single player trades only, though additional cash and draft picks can be part of the trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#Traded_Player_Exception

Thanks, but I was referring to a trade for both Asik and Lin, where the PTE would be segregated in the manner you described.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I don't want both Asik and Lin, I'm barely sold on Asik for one season despite our need for a Center. Why should the Celtics be on the hook for the brunt of Morey's poison pill contracts, hindering our own salary cap and flexibility in the process? There's a reason these names are constantly being floated around, and neither feel like essential pieces for year 2 of a rebuild. Even if we land Kevin Love I would be extremely hesitant to make hasty moves that requires us to pay big money to role players and hinder our options moving forward.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't want both Asik and Lin, I'm barely sold on Asik for one season despite our need for a Center. Why should the Celtics be on the hook for the brunt of Morey's poison pill contracts, hindering our own salary cap and flexibility in the process? There's a reason these names are constantly being floated around, and neither feel like essential pieces for year 2 of a rebuild. Even if we land Kevin Love I would be extremely hesitant to make hasty moves that requires us to pay big money to role players and hinder our options moving forward.

What options do they hinder moving forward?  They are both expiring contracts, and we have no cap space to sign free agents with.  If they don't cost draft picks to acquire, they cost us nothing for the future.  They are serviceable players who both represent upgrades (over Bayless and no one) to our roster.  Will they lead us to a championship?  Certainly not.  Can they make us a better team?  Absolutely.  The fact that they have large contracts is why they are available -- I don't really understand the problem.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Lin isn't necessarily going to be paired with Asik, though Asik might cost a draft pick instead in that scenario.

If we wind up with Love, we will either use Bogans and not have him available for this deal, or we will send them Wallace and an extra pick, meaning we would have Bogans to acquire Lin with, and presumably not have to pay the pick.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

What options do they hinder moving forward?  They are both expiring contracts, and we have no cap space to sign free agents with.  If they don't cost draft picks to acquire, they cost us nothing for the future.  They are serviceable players who both represent upgrades (over Bayless and no one) to our roster.  Will they lead us to a championship?  Certainly not.  Can they make us a better team?  Absolutely.  The fact that they have large contracts is why they are available -- I don't really understand the problem.

I agree.  Acquiring both could be useful as well. 

Assuming we can land Love, we become a playoff team next year.  Asik would obviously be a great pairing with Love in the frontcourt and Lin could a nice shot in the arm off the bench. 

And then next year, we'd have the Bird rights to both and could potentially sign either of them (most likely just Asik) for more reasonable salaries.