Author Topic: Bullpett Seems willing to give Wolves huge stockpile for Love  (Read 7343 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/06/kevin_love_in_picky_situation

Seems like he hopes Danny pulls this off, and says that none of these picks is likely to get a player of Love's caliber.  Also plays up the importance of making the trade to keep Rondo.

Not sure I agree with him, but am pretty sure Danny is going to do everything to make this trade happen.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:56:08 AM by footey »

Re: Bullpett Seems willing to give Wolves the entire stockpile for Love
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wouldn't just blindly give up the house for Love.  You get to a point where you're just ridiculously overpaying for him and that would be my biggest fear here.  The good thing I don't feel like Danny has ever been the type to just cave in & sell the farm (even in the KG deal he didn't) and he certainly shouldn't here. 

Love would be a great addition who i certainly wouldn't mind having around but I don't want it to come at the price of a great deal of the assets they've acquired in the past couple of years.

Like I'm not doing both Sully or KO. One or the other is fine.

Preferably wouldn't wanna give up more than 3 first rounders here.  I'm fine with parting with both of this years and one of the future ones. Clippers or our own pick isn't gonna break it for me. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:14:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wouldn't just blindly give up the house for Love.  You get to a point where you're just ridiculously overpaying for him and that would be my biggest fear here.  The good thing I don't feel like Danny has ever been the type to just cave in & sell the farm (even in the KG deal he didn't) and he certainly shouldn't here. 

Love would be a great addition who i certainly wouldn't mind having around but I don't want it to come at the price of a great deal of the assets they've acquired in the past couple of years.

Preferably wouldn't wanna give up more than 3 first rounders here.  I'm fine with parting with both of this years and one of the future ones. Clippers or our own pick isn't gonna break it for me.

It's not like these assets are that great and with these assets, you're probably not going to get a better return than Kevin Love.

I think the term asset has become a bit overused and overstated.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The only picks I do not want to see traded are the future Net picks. 

I also think three picks should be the limit of the traded picks unless the Celtics keep the 17 and trade away the Clippers pick and two of their future picks. 

Or, the Celtics throw in the possible Philly pick.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:47 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
well he's right, the likelihood that one of our picks ends up averaging 26ppg and 12rpg is very slim. You are more likely to grab a bust in the draft than grab a bonafide all-star player

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's not like these assets are that great and with these assets, you're probably not going to get a better return than Kevin Love.

Oh, there is certainly an unknown here with the draft picks but I also think giving up 4 or 5 1st rounders will be an overpay here.  Why pay it if you don't have to? 

You hold onto them and use them down the road either actually using it in the draft or as part of another trade package down the road to help the team. 

That's an asset.  It's not necessary going to be utilized as a draft pick and they could very well need to do another trade down the road anyways to get this team over the top.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:23:58 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Oh, there is certainly an unknown here with the draft picks but I also think giving up 4 or 5 1st rounders will be an overpay here.  Why pay it if you don't have to? 

You hold onto them and use them down the road either actually using it in the draft or as part of another trade package down the road to help the team. 

That's an asset.  It's not necessary going to be utilized as a draft pick and they could very well need to do another trade down the road anyways to get this team over the top.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think Ainge is going to have to give up 4 to 5 picks for Love.
I would think at the most 3 picks (like our 2 picks this year and maybe the 2015 Clippers pick OR one of our picks this year and the 2016 or 2018 Brooklyn pick.)

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If danny overpays for melo part2 we will be paying for it in the long run. Neither love or trying to keep rondo is worth over paying.

Trying to keep someone like a kg would be a diff story

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
If danny overpays for melo part2 we will be paying for it in the long run. Neither love or trying to keep rondo is worth over paying.

so, your plan is to just keep drafting in the lottery, hoping one of those picks becomes a HOF player? or only becoming good when you can get a HOF player?

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

The only picks I do not want to see traded are the future Net picks. 

I also think three picks should be the limit of the traded picks unless the Celtics keep the 17 and trade away the Clippers pick and two of their future picks. 

Or, the Celtics throw in the possible Philly pick.

yeah 3 is my limit and any number of players not named rondo.

I want to see Love here and I might be willing to offer more picks if it was a guarantee he'd be here for more than a yr. I hope Ainge doesn't sell the house to get him. leaving us nothing to add to rondo and love. 

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bulpett is a journalist when last I looked not our GM and tis a good a thing.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

so, your plan is to just keep drafting in the lottery, hoping one of those picks becomes a HOF player? or only becoming good when you can get a HOF player?

I don't know if it's his plan...but if you're giving me two options, 1. Give up the farm on Love so that you have nothing but dust to trade/draft in the future or 2.  Save the picks, get the two best guys we can this year, teach them what it means to be a Celtic and see what the 2015 off season brings...I'll choose option 2 every time.

3 draft picks no more...the line is drawn here.  If we want to involve other players, different story...but a straight trade for Love...3 picks.

Rak

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
A team of Rondo (assuming a near max contract), Love (max contract) and parts are not going to be enough long term.  Green excels as a third or fourth option and we need  to be sure we can attract a big free agent that can play both ends to compete over the course of the the re-upped contracts.

Give up all the rebuilding assets as we would be going all in anyway.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Ainge can convince Love and Rondo (and their agents) that they will need to take less than market value if they really want to build a championship team, then okay, let's roll.  But if they are projecting max or near max deals for both, pass.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 09:05:26 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee

His plan from the start on here has been to only acquire HOF players. No one is good enough unless they are one of the greatest players to ever play the game for him.

Hint: He doesn't really use any logically thinking when making his points.