Author Topic: Bullpett Seems willing to give Wolves huge stockpile for Love  (Read 7375 times)

Re: Bullpett Seems willing to give Wolves the entire stockpile for Love
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yeah Danny can claim that we are trading for a one year rental -regardless if he knows Love's plans or not- so why give up more than Sully+the 6th+17th+ Bogans+ Bass. If they want another pick then give us Dieng retake Wallace back. If you want us to take back Martin then we keep a pick.
 The hard part is discerning which other teams are genuinely willing to give up similarly valuable assets without an extension guarantee.

All these trade ideas including 2 future picks and taking back Kevin Martin are more likely to be pretty over the top considering the above mentioned 'other' offers are likely to be relatively low when it comes time to pull the trigger. Look at what Dwight fetched, what Harden fetched etc...
It's likely not going to be just the 6th pick and Olynk. But it's also not going to be the 6th+17th+2 Brooklyn picks+Olynyk.

If we want to add real championship pieces and want to be able to afford them then we can't do things like take back Kevin Martin and give up the 2017 pick swap and 2018 Brooklyn picks without making them take back Wallace or giving us value in return. How do we get Afflalo or Stephenson with Kevin Martin taking up $7 million? How do we pay free agent centers $ 12 million or trade for another star without those Brooklyn picks?

The flip side is that all it takes to get more than asking price for a real estate listing is two bidders who fall in love with the house for sale. The sooner this deal gets done the better.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 09:10:01 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
a 1st round pick, maybe with some player fillers, my somewhat of a dream scenario

Rondo/Bradley/Melo/Love/Jordan

probably will never happen, but hey NBA is over for the summer, gotta dream right :D

** crap, moderator, this comment isn't meant for this thread, anyway to delete **

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:44 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
This article reads to me more like Bulpett's response to those of the posters on the front page here over the past two days who don't want to give up picks and/or KO or Sully for Love.

It doesn't sound like he's advocating handing over all the C's assets, but multiple assets in order to get the deal done.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I have no problem with giving up the two picks this year, Sully or KO and one more future first, even one of the Nets'.    That's because Ainge can then use the TPE to bring in another big piece, whether it's Asik or someone else.  I don't think you can give up more than that because then it hampers your ability to make future moves.  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Love and Asik with KO, Bass, etc. off the bench is good enough to make some noise in the playoffs but does anyone think it's a title team?  One more big move or several medium moves would still be needed.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This article reads to me more like Bulpett's response to those of the posters on the front page here over the past two days who don't want to give up picks and/or KO or Sully for Love.

It doesn't sound like he's advocating handing over all the C's assets, but multiple assets in order to get the deal done.

Bullpett: "With three first-round picks from Brooklyn and another from the Clippers in the coming years ? as well as their own choices ? the Celts should have a very strong arsenal with which to march into battle."

I dunno, maybe I am misconstruing, but seems he favors making available most of our picks to get the deal done. 

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
If danny overpays for melo part2 we will be paying for it in the long run. Neither love or trying to keep rondo is worth over paying.

Trying to keep someone like a kg would be a diff story

so, your plan is to just keep drafting in the lottery, hoping one of those picks becomes a HOF player? or only becoming good when you can get a HOF player?

His plan from the start on here has been to only acquire HOF players. No one is good enough unless they are one of the greatest players to ever play the game for him.

Hint: He doesn't really use any logically thinking when making his points.

Well the title of the thread is about giving up the entire stockpile for Love.  I wouldn't do it, it would be a huge overpay like in Carmelos case.  That doesn't mean that I don't want Love and I want to just use pick after pick and wallow in mediocrity.  I'm more than willing to call triboy out on his knee jerk reactions and over exaggerations, but this isn't one of them.

Kevin Love isn't enough to get this team over the top, another shoes gonna have to drop at some point and we need to have something left over to make it happen when the opportunity presents itself.
Greg

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I wouldn't just blindly give up the house for Love.  You get to a point where you're just ridiculously overpaying for him and that would be my biggest fear here.  The good thing I don't feel like Danny has ever been the type to just cave in & sell the farm (even in the KG deal he didn't) and he certainly shouldn't here. 

Love would be a great addition who i certainly wouldn't mind having around but I don't want it to come at the price of a great deal of the assets they've acquired in the past couple of years.

Like I'm not doing both Sully or KO. One or the other is fine.

Preferably wouldn't wanna give up more than 3 first rounders here.  I'm fine with parting with both of this years and one of the future ones. Clippers or our own pick isn't gonna break it for me.

It's not like these assets are that great and with these assets, you're probably not going to get a better return than Kevin Love.

I think the term asset has become a bit overused and overstated.

I think you're seriously underestimating our assets. We can (and probably should) trade anyone on the roster right now for Love, but I would be very hesitant in trading some of our draft picks, especially the Brooklyn ones, for him, since he's unlikely to play a major role on a Title contending team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
A team of Rondo (assuming a near max contract), Love (max contract) and parts are not going to be enough long term.  Green excels as a third or fourth option and we need  to be sure we can attract a big free agent that can play both ends to compete over the course of the the re-upped contracts.

Give up all the rebuilding assets as we would be going all in anyway.

But we wouldnt be giving up all our assets. IF we give up even 4 first rounders for Love, we still have 6 first rounds picks the next 5 years to play around with. That is not giving up the farm...considering the returning player you are getting

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
A team of Rondo (assuming a near max contract), Love (max contract) and parts are not going to be enough long term.  Green excels as a third or fourth option and we need  to be sure we can attract a big free agent that can play both ends to compete over the course of the the re-upped contracts.

But we wouldnt be giving up all our assets. IF we give up even 4 first rounders for Love, we still have 6 first rounds picks the next 5 years to play around with. That is not giving up the farm...considering the returning player you are getting

That's why this is a no brainer, the 2 picks this year, 1 next year (it wont be a lottery pick anyway), Sully or KO.  Maybe others to make the $$$ work, but I think that should do it. We still would have all the BK picks to dangle later, if they want more call Minn's bluff and see if they cave. No way Love goes to training camp with Minn.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

That's why this is a no brainer, the 2 picks this year, 1 next year (it wont be a lottery pick anyway), Sully or KO.  Maybe others to make the $$$ work, but I think that should do it. We still would have all the BK picks to dangle later, if they want more call Minn's bluff and see if they cave. No way Love goes to training camp with Minn.

I agree, no way we should give up the Brooklyn picks especially with other teams refusing to make more substantial offers. We don't have to give up fair value for Love, just a little more than anyone else is willing to.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't think we need to worry about Ainge overpaying for Love, or for anyone else for that matter. Danny's a smart guy, and I don't think he's ever been accused of overpaying; in fact, he's usually accused of doing what any good GM would do?lowballing potential trade partners, going for the steal.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 11:45:15 AM »

Offline KamikazeK

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
since he's unlikely to play a major role on a Title contending team.

Seriously?  ???

Who on earth CAN play a major role on a title contending team? Kawhi Leonard?

I think this "Love isn't good enough" crap is complete and utter nonsense.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm not overrating these picks but i just don't understand why you're underrating them. There's & there will be many players in the draft who can be better than Kevin Love. It's not like he is a Jordan type of player, even if he was there will still be some players who will be better than him. I say keep these picks.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
since he's unlikely to play a major role on a Title contending team.

Seriously?  ???

Who on earth CAN play a major role on a title contending team? Kawhi Leonard?

I think this "Love isn't good enough" crap is complete and utter nonsense.

Put your money where your mouth is. Explain to me why I'm wrong.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: Bullpett Seems willing to give Wolves huge stockpile for Love
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I changed heading from "entire" stockpile to "huge" stockpile, since he did not say they should literally give up every single asset. That would be absurd, but thought I would clarify just in case.

Hyperbole strikes again.