Author Topic: Magic are 'trying to gather as much data as possible' on Embiid  (Read 2590 times)

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
As they prepare for the 2014 NBA Draft next week, the Orlando Magic are attempting to obtain as much data as possible about Joel Embiid's right foot injury so they can make an informed decision if Embiid is available when the team picks fourth overall.

The Magic currently don't know any specifics about Embiid's injury other than what already has been reported through the news media: that Embiid suffered a stress fracture to the foot's navicular bone and was scheduled to undergo surgery today.

"We're going to try to gather as much information as we can, and we're going to continue to do so right up until the draft", Magic general manager Rob Hennigan told the Orlando Sentinel when asked about Embiid. We have some information now, and we're always looking to acquire more information that can help us make a decision.

Embiid's agent, Arn Tellem, will decide which teams will receive detailed information about Embiid's injury and subsequent surgery.

In that sense, Tellem is expected to exert significant influence on where Embiid lands in the draft.

Hennigan would not say whether the Magic would consider drafting Embiid fourth overall if the team doesn't receive detailed information on the injury.

But it seems highly unlikely that Orlando would draft a player even a player as talented and as highly regarded as Embiid without knowing the full details about the player's health.
http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80571684/

This could be HUGE and determine wether or not he falls to us  >:(
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Magic are 'trying to gather as much data as possible' on Embiid
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'd assume all teams would be due diligent and do this. Thursday should be pretty wild. I think embiids agent will ultimately dictate where he goes.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Hopefully Tellem tellem other teams to get lost.

*crickets*

PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tellum will consult with his client, it is up to Embiid and his family to decide where to send the information, not the agent.  Now he will have a lot of influence over their decision, but if Embiid wants to go as high as possible in the draft (money, prestige), and is indifferent as to which team he plays for, agent will make the info available to all the top teams in the draft.  We are all so hung up on that stupid Bill Simmons tweet a few days ago, which was a rumor, as opposed to a story.  It is frightening how many news outlets have re-posted it.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd assume all teams would be due diligent and do this. Thursday should be pretty wild. I think embiids agent will ultimately dictate where he goes.

Disagree.  Will be decided by the teams.  Agent's ability to steer very limited. Look at Milwaukee picking Yi in 2007 despite his refusal to even work out for them.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Hopefully Tellem tellem other teams to get lost.

*crickets*

Fact that you recognized it as a bad joke is actually funny

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
His foot and back are gross guys, don't look.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Or maybe they think we will move up and try to fleece us.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
If I were Embiid, knowing that you are going to drop out of the top 3, then I would want to go to the Suns. With their medical staff they would do wonders for his long term health projection, and if they land a center of his talents to add to their core, they could be legit contenders for years to come. Embiid's agent should be pushing the Suns to trade up for him.

In any case, I'm pleasantly surprised that two top prospects in this draft so far (Embiid and Saric) have declared that they want to play for the Celtics or the Lakers. Before the KG-Pierce-Ray era this would have never happened. In addition to Love's visit to Boston and serious consideration to join the celtics, this bodes very well for our reputation as a franchise going forward.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
In any case, I'm pleasantly surprised that two top prospects in this draft so far (Embiid and Saric) have declared that they want to play for the Celtics or the Lakers. Before the KG-Pierce-Ray era this would have never happened. In addition to Love's visit to Boston and serious consideration to join the celtics, this bodes very well for our reputation as a franchise going forward.

The KG era did wonders for the organization. Made it an attractive place to play again. Not to mention Parker indirectly hinting wanting to play for us as well.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6