Author Topic: If we had drafted Deandre Jordan...  (Read 5757 times)

If we had drafted Deandre Jordan...
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
would he have become the player he is today?  Blake Griffin's work ethic obviously rubbed off on him, and this season Doc was able to get DPOY-like numbers from the guy.  I'd like to believe that KG's work ethic would have produced a result very similar to Jordan's pairing with Griffin, but I'm not sure that any of that would have transpired.  We know that Doc never played his rookies, so even as a backup, Jordan would be lucky to receive 10-15 minutes a game.  Is he flawed?  Absolutely - but he has a freakish wingspan, awesome athleticism, and speed that would have allowed the Celtics to have 5 guys who could run the floor on the court at the same time.  I still remember shaking my head on draft night when we passed on taking him.  The only issue in this scenario would have been the future of Perk.  Would he have been traded earlier?  What do you guys think? 

At the very least, watching him and Rondo on the break would have been a lot of fun, imho, especially after KG got hurt  :(

Re: If we had drafted Deandre Jordan...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
KG would've had a athletic center > Perkins to be along side with him...can't say we will win championship though but definitely prolonged KG career in Boston a bit longer

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
But we didn't, did we?

Yet some here are just fine putting their faith in Ainge to nail every draft pick.

Not happening.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
would he have become the player he is today?  Blake Griffin's work ethic obviously rubbed off on him, and this season Doc was able to get DPOY-like numbers from the guy.  I'd like to believe that KG's work ethic would have produced a result very similar to Jordan's pairing with Griffin, but I'm not sure that any of that would have transpired. We know that Doc never played his rookies, so even as a backup, Jordan would be lucky to receive 10-15 minutes a game. Is he flawed?  Absolutely - but he has a freakish wingspan, awesome athleticism, and speed that would have allowed the Celtics to have 5 guys who could run the floor on the court at the same time.  I still remember shaking my head on draft night when we passed on taking him.  The only issue in this scenario would have been the future of Perk.  Would he have been traded earlier?  What do you guys think? 

At the very least, watching him and Rondo on the break would have been a lot of fun, imho, especially after KG got hurt  :(

We don't know that.  As a matter of fact, Doc played plenty of rookies plenty of minutes.  This is one of those bizarre myths that persists despite having no basis in fact. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
would he have become the player he is today?  Blake Griffin's work ethic obviously rubbed off on him, and this season Doc was able to get DPOY-like numbers from the guy.  I'd like to believe that KG's work ethic would have produced a result very similar to Jordan's pairing with Griffin, but I'm not sure that any of that would have transpired. We know that Doc never played his rookies, so even as a backup, Jordan would be lucky to receive 10-15 minutes a game. Is he flawed?  Absolutely - but he has a freakish wingspan, awesome athleticism, and speed that would have allowed the Celtics to have 5 guys who could run the floor on the court at the same time.  I still remember shaking my head on draft night when we passed on taking him.  The only issue in this scenario would have been the future of Perk.  Would he have been traded earlier?  What do you guys think? 

We don't know that.  As a matter of fact, Doc played plenty of rookies plenty of minutes.  This is one of those bizarre myths that persists despite having no basis in fact.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just can't remember the last rookie who got immediate playing time.  Wait a minute, it's Sully, right?  I mean, Bradley was injured his rookie year, but Doc still should have at least thrown him out there, if for no other reason than reducing Ray's minutes.  Ainge could have done a lot in the 2010 draft, because it was such a unique situation, with Chicago, New Jersey, and Miami (at least) selling first round draft picks in order to bolster their finances for the upcoming free agent bonanza.  I wanted Stephenson, but say we buy a first rounder and take Bradley and Lance?  Now that would have helped our depth considerably, assuming of course that Doc would have played them.  Don't forget, Stephenson had a great summer league performance prior to his rookie year, but didn't really get on the court consistently until his the 2012-13 season.  That's all I meant by that.  There's a guy who would have benefited greatly from the veteran leadership on our team.  He might be significantly more mature on and off the court today, but who knows?

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
But we didn't, did we?

Yet some here are just fine putting their faith in Ainge to nail every draft pick.

Not happening.

Right?  I honestly think Ainge is vastly overrated for his drafting ability.  It's not that he missed guys, but the players he picked aren't even in the league anymore.  Just like in 2009, when we had the 57th pick, and Wesley Matthews, who somehow went undrafted, was right there.  A few people had mentioned him prior to the draft so I read up on the guy and really liked what I saw.  There's no way that I should be able to read a few reports on a guy, from here and otherwise, watch some videos, and be able to pick better players than Ainge has, year after year.  It's just frustrating.  Deandre Jordan and Wesley Matthews instead of Perk and Tony the bonehead?  History may have been very different, and not only in 2009-10, but we'll never know :( Sigh.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't hard to say. Would have loved to see the C's try it though given the useful player he's become.

He wouldn't have gotten so much rope early that's for sure. Would he respond to Doc as a younger player still on a low money contract?

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 08:52:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Right?  I honestly think Ainge is vastly overrated for his drafting ability.  It's not that he missed guys, but the players he picked aren't even in the league anymore.

A GM who is trick-or-treat, boom-or-bust with his late picks will produce better results than a GM who consistently drafts solid non-star role players.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
And Blazers missed on Oden and Bowie.

Clippers missed almost everything until they land Blake Griffin and CP3.

Heat may have hit on Chalmers and Cole but they missed with picking Michael Beasley with the 2nd overall pick.

And Doc rarely played rookies that are yet to develop. Sully was exemption because he was ready to contribute. Big Baby didn't really played much minutes in his rookie season either.

2006-2007 season don't count as it is a rebuilding year with rookies and young players on the roster.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 10:34:17 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just can't remember the last rookie who got immediate playing time.  Wait a minute, it's Sully, right?  I mean, Bradley was injured his rookie year, but Doc still should have at least thrown him out there, if for no other reason than reducing Ray's minutes.  Ainge could have done a lot in the 2010 draft, because it was such a unique situation, with Chicago, New Jersey, and Miami (at least) selling first round draft picks in order to bolster their finances for the upcoming free agent bonanza.  I wanted Stephenson, but say we buy a first rounder and take Bradley and Lance?  Now that would have helped our depth considerably, assuming of course that Doc would have played them.  Don't forget, Stephenson had a great summer league performance prior to his rookie year, but didn't really get on the court consistently until his the 2012-13 season.  That's all I meant by that.  There's a guy who would have benefited greatly from the veteran leadership on our team.  He might be significantly more mature on and off the court today, but who knows?

Glen Davis played plenty his rookie year.  No he didnt start, no he didnt play 30 minutes a game.  He played a lot for a rookie 2nd round pick though, he learned the defensive rotations and was effective when he was out there, so doc played him.  If he didnt like playing rookies, no one wouldve said much at all if Baby rotted on the bench the entire year, and Leon Powe played 30 minutes a game....assuming we were still winning.

But since we're playing the what if game.  In 2007-08 do you think we win the title with a 2nd year PG, and a rookie center playing big minutes around our big three??  You could say it might take a year for Jordan to learn the defensive rotations and come into his own, but KG injures his knee in 2009.  Yeah maybe we do end up winning in 2010, but then we're right back where we started with one title.

you can turn yourself cross eyed playing what if games.
Greg

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Glen Davis played plenty his rookie year.  No he didnt start, no he didnt play 30 minutes a game.  He played a lot for a rookie 2nd round pick though, he learned the defensive rotations and was effective when he was out there, so doc played him.  If he didnt like playing rookies, no one wouldve said much at all if Baby rotted on the bench the entire year, and Leon Powe played 30 minutes a game....assuming we were still winning.

But since we're playing the what if game.  In 2007-08 do you think we win the title with a 2nd year PG, and a rookie center playing big minutes around our big three??  You could say it might take a year for Jordan to learn the defensive rotations and come into his own, but KG injures his knee in 2009.  Yeah maybe we do end up winning in 2010, but then we're right back where we started with one title.

Who would have been our rookie center in 07-08?  Jordan's rookie year was 08-09, so if he was the starter and KG still goes down, he might have gotten quality minutes, especially after Leon got hurt  :( Perk didn't play a ton in the playoffs that year, and you could make the argument that Powe was a more consistent contributor, we had PJ Brown, and Posey played the 4 at times, thus moving KG to the 5.  So yes, I think we could have won 2 titles, with a few minor moves after 08-09, but that's me.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I've been playing this game for years going back to old drafts, especially 86 and 89.  Hindsight builds a championship team every time.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 10:59:52 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Who would have been our rookie center in 07-08?  Jordan's rookie year was 08-09, so if he was the starter and KG still goes down, he might have gotten quality minutes, especially after Leon got hurt  :( Perk didn't play a ton in the playoffs that year, and you could make the argument that Powe was a more consistent contributor, we had PJ Brown, and Posey played the 4 at times, thus moving KG to the 5.  So yes, I think we could have won 2 titles, with a few minor moves after 08-09, but that's me.

my mistake, I forgot Jordan was the Giddens draft......of course we could have won another title with a couple of correct minor moves.  But it's always easy to make those decisions after you know how they'll play out.  If we pick Jordan and he flops, then someone is still posting this thread right now about another player we COULD have had, if we had only known.
Greg

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
And Blazers missed on Oden and Bowie.

Clippers missed almost everything until they land Blake Griffin and CP3.

Heat may have hit on Chalmers and Cole but they missed with picking Michael Beasley with the 2nd overall pick.

And Doc rarely played rookies that are yet to develop. Sully was exemption because he was ready to contribute. Big Baby didn't really played much minutes in his rookie season either.

2006-2007 season don't count as it is a rebuilding year with rookies and young players on the roster.

Miami also traded #18 to OKC, who drafted Eric Bledsoe, along with Daequan Cook for a 2nd rounder in that same draft.  Of course, OKC also traded him for a 2012 1st round pick from the Clippers, but imagine the Heat having Bledsoe.  Even just defensively - wow; but see, again, that's what I'm talking about.  That draft was a rare opportunity to at least start to build for the next run, or extend the one at the time, and Danny failed to see it.  Man, if we come out of the draft with Bledsoe and Stephenson, or Bledsoe, Bradley, and Stephenson, depending on if we had bought two picks, wow.   

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 11:02:37 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
How dare Danny Ainge not draft every good player that has ever been available in the 2nd round!