Author Topic: Does drafting Smart mean trading Rondo?  (Read 2291 times)

Does drafting Smart mean trading Rondo?
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:14 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
?

Re: Does drafting Smart mean trading Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I see Smart as a SG.  A SG who can pass and make plays but still a SG.  I think it would be a mistake to play him at PG unless you're Orlando because I guess it'd be a weird two ball handling guard system?  Not a big fan of it but might work.

Just because a guy can throw a pass we try to make them PGs I feel like with some of these guys.  It's a skill a SG can have.  Wade, in his prime, could dish assists but he was always a SG.  Harden now put up a decent number of assists.  Manu as well.

I feel the same way about Exum too.  It would be nice to have a scorer who can move the ball next to Rondo.  I mean we just did in Pierce.  Worked well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There are 96 combined minutes to be handed out in a game for any team's back court. Two starters and a viable backup like a combo guard should eat up most of those minutes. With only Rondo guaranteed back, I would think there would be plenty of room and minutes for both Smart and Rondo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:26:17 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
There are 96 combined minutes to be handed out in a game for any team's back court. Two starters and a viable backup like a combo guard should eat up most of those minutes. With only Rondo guaranteed back, I would think there would be plenty of room and minutes for both Smart and Rondo

If we are keeping Avery in the rotation especially, whatever other guard is in the rotation needs to be able to handle the ball and pass but also should ideally score.  And be able to guard a SG.  He's a good fit there.  Exum is too.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I like the level of rationality so far in this post.

To add, I would note that Brad Stevens utilized a two point-guard system at Butler (if you see Smart as more of a PG than an SG), which is something that NBA teams are also starting to utilize more.  I think a Rondo/Bradley/Smart backcourt rotation would be quite good.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:23:42 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm not crazy about two guys 6'3" and under who can't shoot playing in the same lineup.   Plus we have Sullinger who jacks up 3's despite not being able to make them... I don't like it at all.

On the other hand, I realize the team is not a finished product so I'm ok with Ainge sorting things out later.  But sorting will have to be done if Rondo and Smart are on the same team.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:51:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm not crazy about two guys 6'3" and under who can't shoot playing in the same lineup.   Plus we have Sullinger who jacks up 3's despite not being able to make them... I don't like it at all.

On the other hand, I realize the team is not a finished product so I'm ok with Ainge sorting things out later.  But sorting will have to be done if Rondo and Smart are on the same team.

Sullinger was clearly jacking up threes on the orders of Stevens.  Call it semi-tanking, as Stevens wanted Sullinger to get used to shooting threes in game situations.  I would not be concerned about Sullinger's shot selection.  That said, if Sullinger's practice this year leads to better in-game shooting next year, all the better, as that will create more room for Rondo and/or Smart to drive the lane, with kick-out 3-pointers a consequence if the defense collapses.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:52:46 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
No.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 12:52:50 AM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Yeah moiso ... I agree.  Just don't get the love for another non shooter in Smart. I love the idea of two PG types...but give me Exum and Reggie Jackson, or the duo of Bledsoe and Dragic.  Both can shoot, handle and pass.

Rondo, smart, Bradley and Bayless....ugh.     One shooter, one playmaker and two tweeners.

Pass.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would love a Rondo/Bradley/Smart back court rotation.  Not the best shooting back court in the league, but surely the feistiest.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
No.  You still need a servicable guard rotation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15

I think Rondo and Smart would work.  Rondo is a pass first pg, Smart is a scoring combo guard who has handles.  Each of them can drive the rim, board and score around the basket.  I saw Smart live this year, he scored 23 points in the first half including a couple of threes.  When he learns to play more in control and doesnt get frustrated I think his shooting will improve.  He's got all the tools, the build and motor to be a big time scorer. 

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Smart, Rondo, Bradley could eat up all 96 minutes in the backcourt and I think they would be really good.  Great on defense.