Author Topic: Chad Ford: C's may have the best offer for Love  (Read 26495 times)

Re: Chad Ford: C's may have the best offer for Love
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One thing I'd just toss into the conversation is something that Jeff brought up on the front page yesterday.  I totally don't buy the idea that acquiring Love is putting us more on the path of becoming the Miami Heat than the San Antonio Spurs. 

First, this notion that the Spurs are a team without superstars is absurd.  Tim Duncan is a top 10 player of all time, and potentially a top 5 player depending on who you ask.  And while he's playing less, if you check out his per 36 minutes averages, he's doing exactly what he's always done throughout his career when he's on the floor.  He's flanked by two other star caliber players in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili--and that's not even bringing Kawhi Leonard into the conversation.  This is not some reincarnation of the 2004 Pistons. 

Second, the notion that the Spurs would never move homegrown assets for superstars is negated by the fact they lucked into Tim Duncan in 1997.  If the C's had lucked into the #1 pick in 2007 or this year, they wouldn't have brought in KG and Ray and they wouldn't be looking to acquire Love now. 

Finally, while I don't particularly like the Heat, is becoming them so bad?  They've been to the past four Finals and have won two of them.  If that's the "negative" of acquiring Love, I'll take it.

All of those teams mentioned have Hall of Fame players. We're talking about bringing in Kevin Love.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into.

Me neither. If the trade was just Sullinger for Love, I'd be on board, but he wants to trade more than that.

Because you arent getting a 25 year old PF who averages 25ppg and 12rpg for peanuts. You have to give up some assets if you want a star player. Sullinger is a nice piece and I think he will have a long productive career in the NBA. but I doubt he sniff's those averages, or an all-star game.

Again, my concerns have nothing to do with Sullinger. I think the whole package is a bad deal for us.

Let me repeat what I've said a few weeks ago in another thread: Gotta love NBA teams built around a big man who can't defend and a PG who can't shoot. Red Auerbach would approve.

Well, you are assuming that if we trade for Love Ainge is done, which is not at all the case. If we trade Sully and a few picks for Love, then we will trade for a defensive center to complement him, and a legit sg to play alongside Rondo. Someone like Asik next to Love and someone like Martin or Gordon next to Rondo makes a lineup that Red would certainly approve of, unless you honestly believe that Heinson at power forward was a defensive force or that Cousy was a sharpshooter. Rondo is the closest thing to Cousy the league has seen since, and Love is like a modern day Heinson . Sure, Asik would be a far cry from Bill Russell, but there are thirty teams in the league nowadays and we are not going to win ten championships with one group, no one will.

« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into.

Me neither. If the trade was just Sullinger for Love, I'd be on board, but he wants to trade more than that.

Because you arent getting a 25 year old PF who averages 25ppg and 12rpg for peanuts. You have to give up some assets if you want a star player. Sullinger is a nice piece and I think he will have a long productive career in the NBA. but I doubt he sniff's those averages, or an all-star game.

Again, my concerns have nothing to do with Sullinger. I think the whole package is a bad deal for us.

Let me repeat what I've said a few weeks ago in another thread: Gotta love NBA teams built around a big man who can't defend and a PG who can't shoot. Red Auerbach would approve.

Red hated PGs that can't shoot. He'd have chewed glass before he picked one up. Just ask Cousy or DJ.

« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Red hated PGs that can't shoot. He'd have chewed glass before he picked one up. Just ask Cousy or DJ.

A) He didn't pick Cousy, and didn't want him, at first

B) The team wasn't built around DJ

C) He did like big men who could play defense

Could you now please stop with the rethorical nonsense?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2014, 12:41:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the Wolves will want to clear their cap, get talent, and get picks. The GSW trade only gets them one of those 3 things. They might choose to do it, but I'll be surprised if its not a more complicated deal to shed some salary to another team in a three-way sort of trade.

Picks are the cheapest talent too and for a place where people do not like to stay are not they locked in longer?

Just ask Cousy or DJ.

Were you around for the DJ era?  Because DJ was one of the most clutch shooters and a true asset in a close game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KotZZMki7E

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/06/the-25-most-clutch-players-in-nba-finals-history/clutch-finals-18

His stats went up in the finals.  Most guys go down and produce less.   As for Cousy shooting percentages were way less back then.

« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

A) He didn't pick Cousy, and didn't want him, at first

B) The team wasn't built around DJ

C) He did like big men who could play defense

Could you now please stop with the rethorical nonsense?

I think the term "build around" is rhetorical nonsense. But whatever.

« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I think the Wolves will want to clear their cap, get talent, and get picks. The GSW trade only gets them one of those 3 things. They might choose to do it, but I'll be surprised if its not a more complicated deal to shed some salary to another team in a three-way sort of trade.

Picks are the cheapest talent too and for a place where people do not like to stay are not they locked in longer?

Just ask Cousy or DJ.

Were you around for the DJ era? 

Yes. He was a clutch player but a pretty poor shooter overall.

« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2014, 12:26:31 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364