Author Topic: Chad Ford: C's may have the best offer for Love  (Read 26549 times)

Re: Chad Ford: C's may have the best offer for Love
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Finally let me post it....Bill Simmons Twitter...

If TWolves trade Love, Celts are heavy favs to get him now. GS won't discuss Klay T. + Bulls are focused on Melo. Boston trumps anyone else.

« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into.

Me neither. If the trade was just Sullinger for Love, I'd be on board, but he wants to trade more than that.

Greedy guts
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Minny would be pretty dumb to do the GSW deal over Boston's.

With GSW trade they get a high salary Lee for 2 more year , both Barnes and Thompson will need to be signed to big long term deals soon, and they will be to good to get a top lottery pick, but not good enough to make the playoffs. They would basically be putting their team in a state of mediocrity (7-10 seed in west at best). No big time free agent is going to Minny to play with Barnes and Thompson, and no high lottery talent would be able to be added to that core.

With Boston deal they get #6 and 17 in a deep draft, who would be on cheap rookie deals for the next 4 years. They get an additional pick or 2 as future talent or trade chips . They get Sully who is still on a rookie deal for 2 more years, and likely won't require they pay day that Thompson and Barnes will likely get . C's can also help Minny cut more salary by taking back Martin for Bogans' contract .

Minny would also be getting another top 5-10 pick next year ( their own) if they do the C's deal .

so would you rather have two high lottery picks , a starting PF (who's only 22 and on a rookie deal) and an additional future pick or 2 , and the ability to shed another long term contract (Martin )

or

Take on Barnes, Thompson as your future core ?

I agree. The ONLY thing that worries me is that the KG trade is still fresh in minds of TWolves ownership and that they won't want to deal another star player to Boston.

Like I worry that Minnesota thinks that if they did deal Love to Boston, that the perception to their fans is that the TWolves end up looking like a developmental league for the Celtics.

its a different front office, I doubt they will let emotion come into play when it comes to doing what is best for their team.

Its the same owner.

Taylor will want a massive overpay this time

« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into.

Me neither. If the trade was just Sullinger for Love, I'd be on board, but he wants to trade more than that.

Because you arent getting a 25 year old PF who averages 25ppg and 12rpg for peanuts. You have to give up some assets if you want a star player. Sullinger is a nice piece and I think he will have a long productive career in the NBA. but I doubt he sniff's those averages, or an all-star game.

Again, my concerns have nothing to do with Sullinger. I think the whole package is a bad deal for us.

Let me repeat what I've said a few weeks ago in another thread: Gotta love NBA teams built around a big man who can't defend and a PG who can't shoot. Red Auerbach would approve.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Minny would be pretty dumb to do the GSW deal over Boston's.

With GSW trade they get a high salary Lee for 2 more year , both Barnes and Thompson will need to be signed to big long term deals soon, and they will be to good to get a top lottery pick, but not good enough to make the playoffs. They would basically be putting their team in a state of mediocrity (7-10 seed in west at best). No big time free agent is going to Minny to play with Barnes and Thompson, and no high lottery talent would be able to be added to that core.

With Boston deal they get #6 and 17 in a deep draft, who would be on cheap rookie deals for the next 4 years. They get an additional pick or 2 as future talent or trade chips . They get Sully who is still on a rookie deal for 2 more years, and likely won't require they pay day that Thompson and Barnes will likely get . C's can also help Minny cut more salary by taking back Martin for Bogans' contract .

Minny would also be getting another top 5-10 pick next year ( their own) if they do the C's deal .

so would you rather have two high lottery picks , a starting PF (who's only 22 and on a rookie deal) and an additional future pick or 2 , and the ability to shed another long term contract (Martin )

or

Take on Barnes, Thompson as your future core ?

I agree. The ONLY thing that worries me is that the KG trade is still fresh in minds of TWolves ownership and that they won't want to deal another star player to Boston.

Like I worry that Minnesota thinks that if they did deal Love to Boston, that the perception to their fans is that the TWolves end up looking like a developmental league for the Celtics.

its a different front office, I doubt they will let emotion come into play when it comes to doing what is best for their team.

Its the same owner.

Taylor will want a massive overpay this time

If he sticks to that process, he'll prove to be an idiot since, eventually, he'll end up with nothing for it. 

A massive overpay stance is hardball that Taylor can't afford to play in the long run.   I think most GMs recognize it too. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Because you arent getting a 25 year old PF who averages 25ppg and 12rpg for peanuts. You have to give up some assets if you want a star player. Sullinger is a nice piece and I think he will have a long productive career in the NBA. but I doubt he sniff's those averages, or an all-star game.

Again, my concerns have nothing to do with Sullinger. I think the whole package is a bad deal for us.

Let me repeat what I've said a few weeks ago in another thread: Gotta love NBA teams built around a big man who can't defend and a PG who can't shoot. Red Auerbach would approve.

I agree, but Sully and 3 firsts, provided that only one of them is a BKN pick, is hardly a bad deal.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree, but Sully and 3 firsts, provided that only one of them is a BKN pick, is hardly a bad deal.

Yeah, its probably going to take a third 1st rounder.   The question will be of what sort.  Are we talking one of our own, the Clippers pick, or one of those Nets picks?

I'd prefer to leave those Nets picks alone but my guess is that MIN is going to demand one of those to the Clippers pick or even another one of ours.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
My gut feeling says that 2018 BKN should be untouchable, especially if Ainge + ownership are trying to go all in on a championship in the meantime: Brooklyn aught to be terrible by that point, and lottery talent would help offset the declining game of Love + Rondo.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yup. Because building around Dwight Howard has done miracles for every team he's been on. Competent two-way big men are few and far between, and there is more to successful team building than the individual qualities of the players.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
My gut feeling says that 2018 BKN should be untouchable, especially if Ainge + ownership are trying to go all in on a championship in the meantime: Brooklyn aught to be terrible by that point, and lottery talent would help offset the declining game of Love + Rondo.

In 2018, Kevin Love will be 29. Smack in the middle of his prime. Rondo will be 32 and should still be pretty good - you might see some small decline but he should still be close to his current level. Keeping that pick and adding a potential star to that would be pretty phenomenal towards maintaining a (hopefully) title contending team.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175

In 2018, Kevin Love will be 29. Smack in the middle of his prime. Rondo will be 32 and should still be pretty good - you might see some small decline but he should still be close to his current level. Keeping that pick and adding a potential star to that would be pretty phenomenal towards maintaining a (hopefully) title contending team.

Kind of like what Len Bias was supposed to be for those aging Celtic teams from the late-80s
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Realgm, Simmons, and Chad ford all over it today. This trade is gaining momentum as draft nears.

« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2014, 11:35:21 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Finally let me post it....Bill Simmons Twitter...

If TWolves trade Love, Celts are heavy favs to get him now. GS won't discuss Klay T. + Bulls are focused on Melo. Boston trumps anyone else.

Nice!!!

The fewer the suitors, the less we'll have to pay!!

« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2014, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
One thing I'd just toss into the conversation is something that Jeff brought up on the front page yesterday.  I totally don't buy the idea that acquiring Love is putting us more on the path of becoming the Miami Heat than the San Antonio Spurs. 

First, this notion that the Spurs are a team without superstars is absurd.  Tim Duncan is a top 10 player of all time, and potentially a top 5 player depending on who you ask.  And while he's playing less, if you check out his per 36 minutes averages, he's doing exactly what he's always done throughout his career when he's on the floor.  He's flanked by two other star caliber players in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili--and that's not even bringing Kawhi Leonard into the conversation.  This is not some reincarnation of the 2004 Pistons. 

Second, the notion that the Spurs would never move homegrown assets for superstars is negated by the fact they lucked into Tim Duncan in 1997.  If the C's had lucked into the #1 pick in 2007 or this year, they wouldn't have brought in KG and Ray and they wouldn't be looking to acquire Love now. 

Finally, while I don't particularly like the Heat, is becoming them so bad?  They've been to the past four Finals and have won two of them.  If that's the "negative" of acquiring Love, I'll take it. 

« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Kind of like what Len Bias was supposed to be for those aging Celtic teams from the late-80s

Exactly.