Author Topic: Chad Ford: C's may have the best offer for Love  (Read 26547 times)

Re: Chad Ford: C's may have the best offer for Love
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's a steal for GS.  They want to unload Lee and Love replaces him at the 4.  Barnes hasn't improved at all.  Thompson is the only decent player they give up.  It's a no brainer for GS.
And Thompson is going to require a big raise soon.

He's going to demand, and get, more money than Stephan Curry.

You think? I havent watched that much of him, but I would have beennshocked to see him get that much....you think he'll get more than 12 million per year. I always thought of him as a Jeff Green level player. Isn't his PER like 13 or 14?
Yeah, but you can't mention PER on this blog.

It's a rare admirable quality of this blog.

Seriously. PER is a garbage stat.

Anyway, Thompson is going to get more than Curry because Curry's on a mega discount, since he signed the deal after a season that was shut down by ankle injuries. You know how Rondo's deal started out as arguably too much money than turned into one of the best deals in the league? Same with Curry.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Minny would be pretty dumb to do the GSW deal over Boston's.

I can see why Minny would do it.  The GSW deal would give them a hope of remaining a near-playoff team and avoiding an immediate rebuild.  Of course, if Thompson doesn't resign long term, they'll have to rebuild anyway and be in much worse shape.

Mike

« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Minny would be pretty dumb to do the GSW deal over Boston's.

I can see why Minny would do it.  The GSW deal would give them a hope of remaining a near-playoff team and avoiding an immediate rebuild.  Of course, if Thompson doesn't resign long term, they'll have to rebuild anyway and be in much worse shape.

Mike
Yeah that's where I'm at too, it and the Chicago deal are plausible alternative choices to make. I don't think they're as good long term, but it all depends on what you think of the talent at the top of this draft.

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
That's a steal for GS.  They want to unload Lee and Love replaces him at the 4.  Barnes hasn't improved at all.  Thompson is the only decent player they give up.  It's a no brainer for GS.

You think? I havent watched that much of him, but I would have beennshocked to see him get that much....you think he'll get more than 12 million per year. I always thought of him as a Jeff Green level player. Isn't his PER like 13 or 14?

Anyway, Thompson is going to get more than Curry because Curry's on a mega discount, since he signed the deal after a season that was shut down by ankle injuries. You know how Rondo's deal started out as arguably too much money than turned into one of the best deals in the league? Same with Curry.

Isn't Curry on 12 million? I knew he was on a rondo-enque bargain but is Klay commanding more than 12? That would be p---ing money away surely?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2014, 09:48:19 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
This franchise is the Boston Celtics. It doesn't spend five or six years clinging to the futility of hope, especially not when draft-built champions are as rare as a Rondo trey.

We don't have time to wait. Make the move, Danny.

You sound like Rick Pitino when he traded Billups.

Billups, Johnson, Pierce and Walker could've been a nice team.

Pitino didn't have such a rational reason when he traded Billups.

I think we have a different definition of the term "rational".
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This franchise is the Boston Celtics. It doesn't spend five or six years clinging to the futility of hope, especially not when draft-built champions are as rare as a Rondo trey.

That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into. Pitino dumped Billups during his rookie year and one of the main reasons was that he didn't want to have to give big contracts to all three of Walker/Mercer/Billups at the same time when they finished their rookie deals. I'd say trying to acquire an established young star player is more rational than that. Opinions vary apparently.

« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into. Pitino dumped Billups during his rookie year and one of the main reasons was that he didn't want to have to give big contracts to all three of Walker/Mercer/Billups at the same time when they finished their rookie deals. I'd say trying to acquire an established young star player is more rational than that. Opinions vary apparently.

Billups was traded another 4-5 times over the course of many years before finally blossoming as a great player. Pitino traded him as a rookie to get Kenny Anderson, because he wanted to win immediately (LOL). Don't think it had as much to do about salary cap, although he may have claimed that later on in hind sight.

Having said that, I disliked the trade when it happened.  I thought that billups would be a great shooter because his free throw shooting was so high (upper 80 percent) as a rookie.  That is usually an indication of a player's ability to have a good outside FG percentage.

« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Isn't Curry on 12 million? I knew he was on a rondo-enque bargain but is Klay commanding more than 12? That would be p---ing money away surely?

Curry made $9,887,642 this year, and is slated to make
$10,629,213
$11,370,786
$12,112,359

over the next three, via Hoopshype.

My post should've been more speculative: 'If Thompson is going to get more...'

I think the only reason why Thompson might make that much is because he's a legitimate two way player with three point range at the SG spot, and those are relatively rare right now. The same reason why Bradley Beal could potentially make that much money.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The salary cap will be several million higher when Thompson goes into free agency, too.  More money for suitors to throw around.

« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2014, 10:24:04 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I dont know why we are even discussing a rumor thrown out by a poster on another message board. As of right now, the only rumors we have is Chad Ford saying they believe the C's have the best offer, and another source saying that the wolves plan to trade Love by the deadline.

I still think ainge finds a way to get him.

« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That's right. We should never talk about anything speculative. Ever.

« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Billups was traded another 4-5 times over the course of many years before finally blossoming as a great player. Pitino traded him as a rookie to get Kenny Anderson, because he wanted to win immediately (LOL). Don't think it had as much to do about salary cap, although he may have claimed that later on in hind sight.

Having said that, I disliked the trade when it happened.  I thought that billups would be a great shooter because his free throw shooting was so high (upper 80 percent) as a rookie.  That is usually an indication of a player's ability to have a good outside FG percentage.

Pretty sure he talked about the contract situation when the trade was made.

« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into.

Me neither. If the trade was just Sullinger for Love, I'd be on board, but he wants to trade more than that.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
I have a feeling that if a trade goes down it will probably be on draft day/night. The closer it gets to draft day the more desperate the Wolves will get to move Love and get something in return. meaning the less that teams will be willing to offer. Ainge may be able to get him for 3 firsts and Sullinger hopefully.

« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
That wouldn't surprise me. CoachBo wants to trade Sully for Love instead of waiting to see what kind of player Sully turns into.

Me neither. If the trade was just Sullinger for Love, I'd be on board, but he wants to trade more than that.

Because you arent getting a 25 year old PF who averages 25ppg and 12rpg for peanuts. You have to give up some assets if you want a star player. Sullinger is a nice piece and I think he will have a long productive career in the NBA. but I doubt he sniff's those averages, or an all-star game.