Author Topic: If Pops was our coach, instead of Doc  (Read 8548 times)

Re: If Pops was our coach, instead of Doc
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:14 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
That '09 team wasn't getting by the Cavs in the conference finals.  That Celtics team was running of fumes, bubble gum, and duct tape by the end of that Orlando series.  The fact that the Celtics even pushed it to 7 games was a testament to that teams's fortitude & mental toughness sans KG.  They certainly weren't going down without putting up a fight.

Celtics wouldn't have lasted past Cleveland. The ironic thing is that Orlando winning that conference semi against us cost the Cleveland a legit title shot and a Lebron/Kobe final.  That Orlando squad was a terrible matchup for the Cavs.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Laker's best sub was Odom and in '08, Odom did not show up. Plus, Ariza was injured. The following year, these guys made a staggering comeback, albeit for a new contract  ;)
Man having a bench player who averages 14 and 10 in the playoffs sure is not showing up.

Especially compared to his 12 and 9 next year (in 5 less minutes) and his 9 and 9 next year (in 9 less minutes)

Of course he was starting in 08 hence the additional minutes and numbers, but Odom was darn consistent for the Lakers during their run. His minutes regularized numbers are all pretty much the same.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
That '09 team wasn't getting by the Cavs in the conference finals.  That Celtics team was running of fumes, bubble gum, and duct tape by the end of that Orlando series.  The fact that the Celtics even pushed it to 7 games was a testament to that teams's fortitude & mental toughness sans KG.  They certainly weren't going down without putting up a fight.

Celtics wouldn't have lasted past Cleveland. The ironic thing is that Orlando winning that conference semi against us cost the Cleveland a legit title shot and a Lebron/Kobe final.  That Orlando squad was a terrible matchup for the Cavs.
Our go to backup big man was Brian Scalabrine!!!

Scalabrine didn't play a single minute the year before in the playoffs and barely played in 09-10!

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The counterfactual hubris assumed in this thread is silly.

And the legend of Popovich has grown so wildly that he is now imagined to do things that he's never accomplished in his career, i.e. win three championships in four years.

If Greg Popovich coached every team in the NBA at the same time, they would all go 82-0 and win the championship.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

the whole premise is silly.

Agreed. That's why its fun.

I think Doc's definitely shown that he has a long way to go to match San Antonio's talent analysis -- looking at his maneuvers as GM this season shows that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think Doc's definitely shown that he has a long way to go to match San Antonio's talent analysis -- looking at his maneuvers as GM this season shows that.
I don't know, Pop's screwed up on that front plenty.

Remember how they traded for and gave a big extension to Richard Jefferson?

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
After '07

In terms of star power

KG = Duncan
Pierce > Ginobili, esp after '06 when Manu was injury prone & not near PP's level as a closer
Ray+Rondo > Parker + any of their extras

Ok, now weave in Perks, Tony Allen, Posey, House ...

Now, don't you think that Pops would have Pierce all ready for that famous Q4, where if the game's close, that PP can pull off one of his miracles?

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I don't know, Pop's screwed up on that front plenty.

Remember how they traded for and gave a big extension to Richard Jefferson?

No. You can't make me. I believe in the purity of the Popovich.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Ok, here's my guarantee... give me a time machine and I'll swap Paul Pierce for Manu Ginobili.

Then, Pops gets to coach Duncan, Pierce, & Parker. Then, I'll say that the Spurs win the west, for many of those years, 2008 till today.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Then, Pops gets to coach Duncan, Pierce, & Parker. Then, I'll say that the Spurs win the west, for many of those years, 2008 till today.

Let me illustrate how this works.

The clock is ticking... it's the final possession of the game. Parker hands it to Pierce. Paul dribbles, makes a drive, defenders descend upon the Truth. Pierce dishes to Tony.  Paul clears his opponents, Parker now bolts it back to Paul, perfect pick & roll execution! Pierce goes for the jumper. It's no good. Hold it! Duncan with the rebound and slams it down!

The Spurs win and advance to the NBA finals. What a team!

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

well then going back to '08 both teams have 2 finals appearances and 1 championship to show for it. case closed. that was fun.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Pop is a good coach andslightly better than Doc.   I think Doc is a good coach too.   Arguments could be made that they are only as good as their players but Pop has won in three decades and has stood the test of time.   Pop is better X and Os though Doc draws mean plays after time outs.  But Doc ran his guys into ground, Pop is better at preserving his players.  That is not to say Doc is bad, he is not but I think Pop is better.   Both are superb motivators and communicators to their team.  I think Pop is slightly better at developing young guys than Doc who always didn't use or trust them.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 12:51:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

well then going back to '08 both teams have 2 finals appearances and 1 championship to show for it. case closed. that was fun.

What a debbie downer.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Pop is better X and Os though Doc draws mean plays after time outs.  But Doc ran his guys into ground, Pop is better at preserving his players.  That is not to say Doc is bad, he is not but I think Pop is better.   Both are superb motivators and communicators to their team.  I think Pop is slightly better at developing young guys than Doc who always didn't use or trust them.

In my Paul Pierce switch example, isn't that essentially what Doc did to PP? Think about it, Pierce is possibly the most durable swingman in the league. He's clearly the most dangerous man on the court, given proper rest & a supporting cast.

In Q4, a properly rested PP will draw the better defenders and passing out to Parker will force opponents to take Parker seriously, as he's not afraid to shoot. In Doc's world, however, Pierce having already played 40+ mins, will probably get the ball stolen, if he attempts that in Doc's court or worse, have Rondo toss a brick, since it's highly likely that KG won't be down low to accept a pass.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

What a debbie downer.

I don't think we're going to find many here that would take doc over pop.