Author Topic: Impressive video of Marcus Smart defending Dante Exum  (Read 9416 times)

Impressive video of Marcus Smart defending Dante Exum
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
And Marcus Smart keeps climbing the Draft boards...

PS: Another great job by DraftExpress. Those guys are true professionals.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Dante-Exum-vs-Team-USA-at-the-FIBA-U19-World-Championships-4613

Re: Impressive video of Marcus Smart defending Dante Exum
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Just so folks are clear, that was a full year ago, when Exum was a skinny, twiggy 17 (Smart was 19).  And he only played 11 minutes in that game due to tweaking his ankle.

Teamwise - that was a pretty major mismatch.

Not sure any sensible GM is going to draw many conclusions about Smart OR Exum from that at this point.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Just so folks are clear, that was a full year ago, when Exum was a skinny, twiggy 17 (Smart was 19).  And he only played 11 minutes in that game due to tweaking his ankle.

Not sure any sensible GM is going to draw many conclusions about Smart OR Exum from that at this point.

The question, though, is what has he done since then to convince anyone he's destined to be a bona fide NBA superstar? 

Presumably, NBA scouts have seen stuff that the general public hasn't, but I mean the kid's spent the last year playing in a league where apparently they don't even keep stats. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think it highlights how good they both are.
Exum at 17 years old just completely burning everyone off the dribble (except Smart).

And Smart showing how well he can move laterally and keep his body in front of even the quickest guards. Also it highlights Smarts ability to 'watch and learn' from Exum, recognizing he loves going to his right and then trying to take away Exum's preference.

Great video. Thanks for sharing. TP.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:55:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The question, though, is what has he done since then to convince anyone he's destined to be a bona fide NBA superstar? 

Presumably, NBA scouts have seen stuff that the general public hasn't, but I mean the kid's spent the last year playing in a league where apparently they don't even keep stats.

Well, it goes on to say:

Note: Exum averaged 25.5 points and 4.8 assists in the next four games after his encounter with Team USA, almost single handedly willing his team to the semi-finals and an eventual fourth place finish. These were essentially the last competitive games Exum played in before his eventual NBA debut next season, and thus a substantial part of his evaluation as a NBA prospect.

Before that, a couple of months prior actually, he excelled at the Nike Hoop Summit.

Just to clarify, Smart is only 16 months older than Exum. Saying one guy is 19 and the other is 17 sounds as though the gap is a lot more.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
Exum, 17, in one of his first couple of games against elite competition.

Smart, 19, who already had loads of experience competing at a high level.

...and Exum played fairly well despite some obvious and understandable struggles.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Still, nobody has answered my question:  What has Dante Exum done since the summer of 2013?

I know the answer:

He's hidden himself away in Australia, and let the hype of that summer do the work for him.  I'm not necessarily faulting him, but that's the reality.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Exum, 17, in one of his first couple of games against elite competition.

Smart, 19, who already had loads of experience competing at a high level.

...and Exum played fairly well despite some obvious and understandable struggles.

That's the difference between the 4th and 6th pick this draft though, one high ceiling guy compared to slightly more of a sure thing with a much lower ceiling. However, I don't feel like this video was posted here for us to pick on Exum. It was posted to give us more evidence of how strong a defender Smart is rather than picking on Exum for one bad game.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Still, nobody has answered my question:  What has Dante Exum done since the summer of 2013?

I know the answer:

He's hidden himself away in Australia, and let the hype of that summer do the work for him.  I'm not necessarily faulting him, but that's the reality.

He had good numbers at the scouting combine. He's worked out for teams and his stocked has remained high, so it's safe to say he's done well. It's not as though he's in a cave somewhere and living off last summer.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 10:25:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I know the answer:

He had good numbers at the scouting combine. He's worked out for teams and his stocked has remained high, so it's safe to say he's done well. It's not as though he's in a cave somewhere and living off last summer.

I'm just concerned that given his lack of play against legitimate competition that he'll be far from ready to contribute to an NBA team right away.  I think there's a lot of projection going on with this kid that may never come to fruition.

Anyway, I hope it ends up being someone else's fan base that ends up crossing their fingers and hoping on Dante Exum. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:32 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White

I know the answer:

Yeah. From what I've read, he's spent his time in the U.S. working out privately with top coaches. The kid has obvious physical tools to go along with some excellent skills. I completely understand why he's likely to be a top-4 pick, though there's no guarantee that he will pan out.

I do think Smart's floor is significantly higher than Exum's and I think his ceiling is nearly as high.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I know the answer:

Yeah. From what I've read, he's spent his time in the U.S. working out privately with top coaches. The kid has obvious physical tools to go along with some excellent skills. I completely understand why he's likely to be a top-4 pick, though there's no guarantee that he will pan out.

I do think Smart's floor is significantly higher than Exum's and I think his ceiling is nearly as high.

I partially agree with this.  Although, I think Smart's ceiling might be higher as well.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:47:31 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • @KevinOConnorNBA

I know the answer:

??? ??? ???
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:53:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I know the answer:

??? ??? ???

I don't think that what I'm saying is all that controversial.  He hasn't played against any real competition in real games that matter since the summer of 2013, unless you count the Australian high school games he played in. 

If I'm wrong, please correct me, and let me know about the big games he's played in over the course of the last year. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

I know the answer:

??? ??? ???

I don't think that what I'm saying is all that controversial.  He hasn't played against any real competition in real games that matter since the summer of 2013, unless you count the Australian high school games he played in. 

If I'm wrong, please correct me, and let me know about the big games he's played in over the course of the last year.

Sure, his lack of experience against good competition makes him risky but talent is talent.  Just like Giannis who played against high school type competition over in Greece, Exum has a combination of physical gifts and skills that don't come around often.

This goes to show just how good Smart is too.  When you're as bulky and muscular as Smart is but still possess excellent lateral quickness and hand speed, you're getting into Jason Kidd territory on the defensive end.  He's also got legitimate point guard skills, plays in transition, projects as an all-nba defender and his shooting stroke is just fine.