Author Topic: Is LeBron a quitter????  (Read 12620 times)

Re: Is LeBron a quitter????
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a quitter but when given major uphill battles to fight, he does turtle up some and decide not to fight the good fight to over come the odds.

He did it last night. He did it against Dallas in 2011. He did it in 2010 against the Celtics.

He's a fabulous front running competitor, maybe one of the best. But when it comes to comebacks and overcoming difficult odds to prevail, he has a history of just not trying as hard, not playing as hard and not seeming to care, as if the loss is inevitable.

I also seriously question his leadership skills. It tends to be more along the lines of "Watch me and do what I do" or "Give me the ball and I will lead you there." and then he tends to go all iso and take all the shots and be the guy with a usage rate somewhere around 40% or higher. Rather than getting everyone involved his leadership is let me do everything instead of properly utilizing the players around them to make the team as a whole better. His leadership abilities tend to be all about the individual, him.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
checked out of Miami the way he seemed to be checked out of Cleveland at the end of that game.
Interesting thought. I do think that LeBron's team is going to be changed a lot this coming season. Whether that's in Miami or somewhere else.

As much as anything I think that's why he left Cleveland. He could see that he wasn't going to get a big upgrade right away. It was team up with Wade/Bosh or  continue with the same crap in Cleveland.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The heat tried but the spurs were too good.  They did everything to slow down the big three and let the role players beat them. And they couldnt

Plus the offense/bench was amazing.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
checked out of Miami the way he seemed to be checked out of Cleveland at the end of that game.
Interesting thought. I do think that LeBron's team is going to be changed a lot this coming season. Whether that's in Miami or somewhere else.

As much as anything I think that's why he left Cleveland. He could see that he wasn't going to get a big upgrade right away. It was team up with Wade/Bosh or  continue with the same crap in Cleveland.

It would not surprise me in the least to see James bolt again.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
...and to be fair, Pop and the Spurs are perhaps the quickest team in the league at pulling their starters early when trailing, even in the playoffs.  An elimination game should be a bit different though.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 10:18:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
MIA was the older team they said on ESPN.   

An elimination game should be a bit different though.

I agree.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
A quitter put up 31 points  ::).  The amount of criticism this guy gets is so ridiculous, it's unbelievable.  He can't win with the fans.  [dang] if you do, [dang] if you don't.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A quitter put up 31 points  ::).  The amount of criticism this guy gets is so ridiculous, it's unbelievable.  He can't win with the fans.  [dang] if you do, [dang] if you don't.

A Quitter scores 31 points but sits out of the last 6 minutes of a huge game. I've seen bigger comebacks in that amount of time. But he gave up. If he would have been on the floor the entire time trying to get his team back in it, this would be a none issue.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

he opened himself up to criticism a long time ago and continues to do so. I don't get why everyone runs to his side and claims he's picked on. he's not, he's the guy the NBA has deemed "the best in the league". are we all supposed to fall in line and agree? even if we see things differently?

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

A Quitter scores 31 points but sits out of the last 6 minutes of a huge game. I've seen bigger comebacks in that amount of time. But he gave up. If he would have been on the floor the entire time trying to get his team back in it, this would be a none issue.

Lebron James played 41 minutes in last night's game.  He got subbed out with six and a half minutes remaining and his team down by eighteen in the fourth quarter.  That means he had basically played all but one minute of the game up until that point. 

If the Heat had any chance of a come back, he absolutely needed a rest.  If the Heat could have gotten it down to under 15 with around four minutes left, I'm sure he would have come back in the game.  However, the Heat couldn't make any inroads.  Ergo, Lebron's night--and season--was done. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a quitter but when given major uphill battles to fight, he does turtle up some and decide not to fight the good fight to over come the odds.

He did it last night. He did it against Dallas in 2011. He did it in 2010 against the Celtics.

He's a fabulous front running competitor, maybe one of the best. But when it comes to comebacks and overcoming difficult odds to prevail, he has a history of just not trying as hard, not playing as hard and not seeming to care, as if the loss is inevitable.

I also seriously question his leadership skills. It tends to be more along the lines of "Watch me and do what I do" or "Give me the ball and I will lead you there." and then he tends to go all iso and take all the shots and be the guy with a usage rate somewhere around 40% or higher. Rather than getting everyone involved his leadership is let me do everything instead of properly utilizing the players around them to make the team as a whole better. His leadership abilities tend to be all about the individual, him.
Lebron has never come close to a usage rate around 40%.  His playoff career average is 31.4 (regular season is 31.6).  In Miami his high is 33.4 (the first title season).  The second title season he was below 30 at 29.2 and this year was at 31.6.  The three highest USG% in the playoffs for Lebron were all in Cleveland when his teammates were obviously much worse on the whole.

As for this series though, Lebron had something like 48 assist worthy passes, only something like 20 were actually converted into assists.  One of the lowest rates you will ever see from someone with nearly 10 assist worthy passes a game.  His teammates totally and utterly failed him. 

The bottom-line is, you can't expect someone to bring the ball up the floor, generate the entire offense, guard the opposing teams best wing (or PF), play 40+ minutes a night, 100 games a year, and then provide him no real support when he needs it most. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

2008 Finals, Boston vs. Lakers: In one game the Lakers nearly came back from a 20+-point deficit in the last 8 minutes, and in another game the Cs did come back from a 24-point (I think) deficit in the last 8 minutes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Lebron has never come close to a usage rate around 40%.  His playoff career average is 31.4 (regular season is 31.6).  In Miami his high is 33.4 (the first title season).  The second title season he was below 30 at 29.2 and this year was at 31.6.  The three highest USG% in the playoffs for Lebron were all in Cleveland when his teammates were obviously much worse on the whole.

As for this series though, Lebron had something like 48 assist worthy passes, only something like 20 were actually converted into assists.  One of the lowest rates you will ever see from someone with nearly 10 assist worthy passes a game.  His teammates totally and utterly failed him. 

The bottom-line is, you can't expect someone to bring the ball up the floor, generate the entire offense, guard the opposing teams best wing (or PF), play 40+ minutes a night, 100 games a year, and then provide him no real support when he needs it most.
Lebron James has never come close to 40% usage rate for one game? You sure of that? Because I was talking about one specific game not a series. Not a season. A game.

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Lebron James played 41 minutes in last night's game.  He got subbed out with six and a half minutes remaining and his team down by eighteen in the fourth quarter.  That means he had basically played all but one minute of the game up until that point. 

If the Heat had any chance of a come back, he absolutely needed a rest.  If the Heat could have gotten it down to under 15 with around four minutes left, I'm sure he would have come back in the game.  However, the Heat couldn't make any inroads.  Ergo, Lebron's night--and season--was done.

sooo....now the coach isn't good enough? the coach everyone was ready to put in the class of phil Jackson and popavich after the back to back titles the past 2 seasons?

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

2008 Finals, Boston vs. Lakers: In one game the Lakers nearly came back from a 20+-point deficit in the last 8 minutes, and in another game the Cs did come back from a 24-point (I think) deficit in the last 8 minutes.
The C's deficit of 24 points was in the first half (first QTR or early second)

At half time it was 15 points I believer after Farmar hit a heave at the buzzer.

20 points comebacks in single quarter definitely happen though.