Author Topic: Greg Oden wants to play more next season  (Read 4876 times)

Re: Greg Oden wants to play more next season
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I guess rim protector is a good term, but it is kinda annoying how it exploded into our vocabulary.

Directly from NBAStats.com

Rim protection is defined as the defender being within five feet of the basket and within five feet of the offensive player attempting the shot.

It has been beaten to death a bit, but without hand checking in the league and perimeter players being allowed to enter the paint at will it seems, it has become a very valuable role.
Thats a pretty bad definition, isn't it?  I mean, Phil Pressey could always stand within 5 feet of the rim and within 5 feet of the people taking the shots... That would make him the top rim protector in the league based on that definition.  He doesn't even have to defend.  Just pay attention to the 5 feet rule.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I guess rim protector is a good term, but it is kinda annoying how it exploded into our vocabulary.

Directly from NBAStats.com

Rim protection is defined as the defender being within five feet of the basket and within five feet of the offensive player attempting the shot.

It has been beaten to death a bit, but without hand checking in the league and perimeter players being allowed to enter the paint at will it seems, it has become a very valuable role.
Thats a pretty bad definition, isn't it?  I mean, Phil Pressey could always stand within 5 feet of the rim and within 5 feet of the people taking the shots... That would make him the top rim protector in the league based on that definition.  He doesn't even have to defend.  Just pay attention to the 5 feet rule.

I think anybody can do it and every player has a "Rim Protecting %".

The thing that separates the elite from the terrible are judged by the opposition FG% in that situation.

For instance, in the 2014 playoffs, Omer Asik had a 40% clip compared to a David Lee who had a ghastly 68%.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I wouldnt want him. we're not contenders. we need to horde young talent with our 15 roster spots. Thats why danny is looking at all these guys who wont go drafted to find some young diamonds in the rough.

I understand, but Oden is still young talent.  He just turned 26 in January, I believe.  That's hardly old.

He's not old, but his knees are ancient.

If you had to choose, who had worse knees - Ewing or Oden?  Or poor Leon Powe  :(  It's probably between the last 2.  Patrick's knees never allowed him to be the athletic freak that he was at Georgetown, but at least he was able to stay on the court for the most part until his later years.  Let's fill out an SAT analogy - Greg Oden is to knees as Bill Walton is to feet, and everything else.  Sigh.  Maybe it's a Portland thing.  What might have been for both of them.   

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Greg Oden may want to play more but he just seems so unreliable. Absolutely I'd sign him on the cheap, but again, likely as a bench warmer or a 3rd center. I think a team would be crazy to sign him and expect him to be either a starter or the first big off the bench.

- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 10:52:44 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I still can't believe Oden is only 26.

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wouldnt want him. we're not contenders. we need to horde young talent with our 15 roster spots. Thats why danny is looking at all these guys who wont go drafted to find some young diamonds in the rough.

Who said we are not going to be contenders next season? I must've missed the memo.

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 11:16:57 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

Who said we are not going to be contenders next season? I must've missed the memo.
you did. danny sent it out last year. it was titled: "i'm trading pierce and KG."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

you did. danny sent it out last year. it was titled: "i'm trading pierce and KG."

But that was last season. Celts got their draft picks out of the deal. Maybe this is another rebuilding year but maybe it's not. We won't know for sure til we see what types of moves the team makes.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

But that was last season. Celts got their draft picks out of the deal. Maybe this is another rebuilding year but maybe it's not. We won't know for sure til we see what types of moves the team makes.

Agree. I don't think there is a scenario (sorry, I don't think we'll be lucky or good enough to land all of Love, Asik, and Melo, and that's what it would take) where we are true contenders, but I do think that we could easily be a top 3 or 4 team in the East with the right moves.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
I would love to give GO up to a million depending on what others offer.  I thought the same last year, he has way to much upside to have a million or less not be worth it.  Regardless of whether he starts, comes off the bench, plays 5-25 minutes a game we sorely need a big man.  As a rebuilding team this is something we should jump all over.  As well as noone is going to offer him over a 1 year contract so theres not too much of a liability.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:29:09 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 03:18:47 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
He still have the talent to play it's just his body who's weak. He should loose some pounds then i think it'll be okay. I'll take him in a heartbeat.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I still can't believe Oden is only 26.

I can't believe Lebron won't be 30 until December.  At least, that's what they say  ::)

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I guess I'd take the over on him getting more than the 212 minutes he logged this season.  But you'd have to give me odds  ;)
Yup

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 08:42:26 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Of we could sign him to one of those multi year non guaranteed deals like we give to Pressey and Johnson I would be all over that. Or even a Bogan's type deal.