Author Topic: Greg Oden wants to play more next season  (Read 4877 times)

Greg Oden wants to play more next season
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/oden-open-playing-next-season-admits-he-didnt-have-season-he-expected

Oden, 26, will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The ?down? side of this bounce-back season has been the lack of playing time he?s received throughout the course of the season. With more teams playing a brand of small-ball, Oden has been the odd man out most nights.

The No.1 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft says as candid as can be that he?s happy with his situation, but as far as the way he?s been used, it was a disappointment.

?It wasn?t what I was hoping it would be,? the big man said. ?I would have definitely liked to have played more but you know, everything that I?ve been through, I?m just happy to be out there and being on a team. Last year I wasn?t and this year I?m on a team that possibly can win the championship. I?m happy in that, but personally, playing wise, I?m not as happy as I want to be.?

Since we're not getting Embiid, what's the harm in signing Oden for a year?  Yes, he's been injury prone, to say the least, but the talent is still there.  I've just always liked his game, and there aren't too many true centers left.  I'm not saying to play the guy 30 minutes, but maybe 20-25 on the 5-5-5 plan.  What's the harm?  He's going to be cheap, and we desperately need shot blocking, and a post presence.  By the way, where did the term 'rim protection' come from, because it sounds incredibly dumb.  What's wrong with saying shot blocking?

Oh, and if you haven't already visited the thread entitled 'Calling All Music Lovers', http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=70754.0, I'd encourage you to do so.  Wait until you hear her sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsSzgdVCzaY
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:36:07 PM by Beat LA »

Re: Greg Oden wants to play more next season
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The good thing about aquiring him is that we'd be getting him for cheap.  A young back-up center for someone his size and talent would be great to have.  Would love to have him...if he can stay healthy
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:20:48 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/oden-open-playing-next-season-admits-he-didnt-have-season-he-expected

Oden, 26, will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The ?down? side of this bounce-back season has been the lack of playing time he?s received throughout the course of the season. With more teams playing a brand of small-ball, Oden has been the odd man out most nights.

The No.1 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft says as candid as can be that he?s happy with his situation, but as far as the way he?s been used, it was a disappointment.

?It wasn?t what I was hoping it would be,? the big man said. ?I would have definitely liked to have played more but you know, everything that I?ve been through, I?m just happy to be out there and being on a team. Last year I wasn?t and this year I?m on a team that possibly can win the championship. I?m happy in that, but personally, playing wise, I?m not as happy as I want to be.?

Since we're not getting Embiid, what's the harm in signing Oden for a year?  Yes, he's been injury prone, to say the least, but the talent is still there.  I've just always liked the guy's game, and there aren't too many true centers left.  I'm not saying to play the guy 30 minutes, but maybe 20-25 on the 5-5-5 plan.  What's the harm?  He's going to be cheap, and we desperately need shot blocking, and a post presence.  By the way, where did the term 'rim protection' come from, because it sounds incredibly dumb.  What's wrong with saying shot blocking?

Well rim protection isn't only about blocked shots. It's also about altering shots, deterring shots, and keeping the opposing team away from the rim in general.

I do agree that Oden may be worth a try as a backup bigman. But only at a vet min contract or 2mill per yr tops, with only the first yr guaranteed.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope we avoid Mr. Glass at all costs.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I guess rim protector is a good term, but it is kinda annoying how it exploded into our vocabulary.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:37:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I guess rim protector is a good term, but it is kinda annoying how it exploded into our vocabulary.

Oh good, so it's not just me.  Obviously, I would only do it for a year or 2 at the veteran's minimum, if that is what he's made this year.  I think it's around $840,000.  There's no denying though, that when he's been able to play, the guy has been a monster on both ends.  He can use both hands on the block, partly because an injury in college forced him to shoot with his off hand, and he's a good passer.  I just wish that he could be our starting center, but I don't think his body could withstand a 40 minute game.  At any rate, I'll take him in a heartbeat.  What do we have to lose?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:43:39 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
I wouldnt want him. we're not contenders. we need to horde young talent with our 15 roster spots. Thats why danny is looking at all these guys who wont go drafted to find some young diamonds in the rough.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Directly from NBAStats.com

Rim protection is defined as the defender being within five feet of the basket and within five feet of the offensive player attempting the shot.

It has been beaten to death a bit, but without hand checking in the league and perimeter players being allowed to enter the paint at will it seems, it has become a very valuable role.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
rim protector = shot blocking threat more than 1 BPG to me and the ability to affect the other teams shots with the threat of a block.  There are earthbound ones who used to knock people on their rears but the league frowns on that nowadays.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I wouldnt want him. we're not contenders. we need to horde young talent with our 15 roster spots. Thats why danny is looking at all these guys who wont go drafted to find some young diamonds in the rough.

I understand, but Oden is still young talent.  He just turned 26 in January, I believe.  That's hardly old.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

I understand, but Oden is still young talent.  He just turned 26 in January, I believe.  That's hardly old.
good point. and if develops into a rotational player he has value for  a lot of teams especially on a min or near min contract.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Rim protection is defined as the defender being within five feet of the basket and within five feet of the offensive player attempting the shot.

It has been beaten to death a bit, but without hand checking in the league and perimeter players being allowed to enter the paint at will it seems, it has become a very valuable role.

I'm not reducing the value of that role, I just think it's a dumb way to say it.  Shot blockers have always anchored a team's defense by blocking and altering shots, but if we're going to define being a rim protector by altering attempts, which is obviously important as well, what about the guys who take charges?  Players certainly have to adjust their bodies in mid-flight to avoid being called for an offensive foul, so why not?  What about the guys who just do the bill laimbeer straight up crap?  Even if you don't block the shot, you are altering the player's immediate path to the basket.  Perhaps there should be a stat for those guys, too, who alter shots but don't necessarily block them.  Yeah, that's just what basketball needs - another stat  ::)  Ugh; and I'm a stats guy haha.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Miami wasn't a good fit for Oden. Their "pace and space" system doesn't allow much opportunity for playing time for a slower center with limited offensive skills. I think in a different situation Oden did enough to earn more playing time than he received. A regular role. Probably only 12-15mpg in a bench role but consistent court time. Regular games.

Oden should prioritize finding a team that is committed to giving playing time to a center like him. Indiana could be a good fit behind Roy Hibbert. Or Chicago behind J-Noah. The Bulls have never really replaced Asik. The interior defense Asik gave them off the bench. That could be a good match. New Orleans should give Oden a call. They need a powerful center now and then alongside Anthony Davis. That could be a great tandem to be able to go to against bigger lineups.

In terms of the Celtics, my interest in Oden would be pretty small. A starting center is a priority but I don't think a backup C is just yet. And I don't think Oden is moving well enough to be a starter. He needs a bench role. Also, in terms of C's backup center -- I like Faverani and think he has more to offer next year plus I think Boston has so many PFs on their team that they will need to find them some playing time at center next season again as well. So I don't view acquiring backup C as necessary. Only a starting C. And do not consider Oden adequate starting center.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I'm not reducing the value of that role, I just think it's a dumb way to say it.  Shot blockers have always anchored a team's defense by blocking and altering shots, but if we're going to define being a rim protector by altering attempts, which is obviously important as well, what about the guys who take charges?  Players certainly have to adjust their bodies in mid-flight to avoid being called for an offensive foul, so why not?  What about the guys who just do the bill laimbeer straight up crap?  Even if you don't block the shot, you are altering the player's immediate path to the basket.  Perhaps there should be a stat for those guys, too, who alter shots but don't necessarily block them.  Yeah, that's just what basketball needs - another stat  ::)  Ugh; and I'm a stats guy haha.

Yeah, I agree, the definition itself sounds a little silly.

I also agree that charges are an underrated aspect of defense. Demarcus Cousins for example is always near the top of the league in charges taken yet is perceived as a poor defender. I don't really agree with that.

As far as interest in Oden, I agree with Who. I though Favarani flashed a good deal of skills last year and was bummed he got hurt. I think he can be a very adequate back up. Poor mans Brad Miller?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

He's not old, but his knees are ancient.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.