Author Topic: Now is the time for the Celtics to just clear the salary books!  (Read 3277 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would love to see Ainge package these picks and dump everyone not named Rajon Rondo or on a rookie scale contract. This is going to be the last season we have Rondo at such a cheap rate, so it should be the time to put max guys around him.

If we dumped this lotto pick, #17, Wallace, Green, Bass, Anthony and then renounced everything, we would have +$45 Million to spend on the open market. We could literally be an option for James and Melo to team up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:42:57 PM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Now is the time for the Celtics to just clear the salary books!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would love to see Ainge package these picks and dump everyone not named Rajon Rondo or on a rookie scale contract. This is going to be the last season we have Rondo at such a cheap rate, so it should be the time to put max guys around him.

If we dumped this lotto pick, #17, Wallace, Green, Bass, Anthony and then renounced everything, we would have +$45 Million to spend on the open market. We could literally be an option for James and Melo to team up.

Sounds good to me.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Too big of a gamble IMO.  We give up two good picks in a loaded draft just for the opportunity to sign two max level FAs?  I'll pass.  Why would they come here when they can stay in Miami?  I'm also of the belief that most of these megastars are gonna wait until 2015 to make their move.

And I don't think Rondo would be that great of a pairing with Lebron and Melo.  Lebron is basically a point guard in the half court set, so Rondo is left being a below average spotup shooter.

I think the best PG to pair with Lebron is a rich man's Mario Chalmers; a PG that can nail open 3s and play lockdown D on opposing PGs (so LeBron doesn't have to wear himself out chasing the Tony Parkers of the league).  He is not the best match for a more traditional PG like Rondo.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
James and Melo are not coming here. Plain and simple. Dallas has been trying to get a big name player to play with Dirk for years and it doesn't pan out (they've had plenty of cap space). If the Celts are going to win they're going to do it through smart drafting and trading.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
no.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
There may be something to this...

Boston isn't NY or LA, but Miami wasn't Miami until Wade was already there and they made cap room.

Start now and be an open-armed franchise (great history, great coach, respected GM, owner willing to pay, great fans, close to NYC, etc) ready to greet Kevin Durant and his best 3 free agent friends when he realizes he wants to leave his nickel and diming team.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
With Kobe there is no rebuild as they are in win now mode.  The only real trade asset they have now is the 7th pick. My guess is they will try to trade it for a veteran starter, re-sign Gasol, and fill in the gaps over paying on free agents with all their cap space. I think they will strike out though signing a star with their cap space. 

It will be interesting to see how much Kobe gets frustrated if they can't land another star.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
James and Melo are not coming here. Plain and simple. Dallas has been trying to get a big name player to play with Dirk for years and it doesn't pan out (they've had plenty of cap space). If the Celts are going to win they're going to do it through smart drafting and trading.

i see what u did there  ;)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

i see what u did there  ;)

draft smart and trade for the lakers pick to get vonleh/randle

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
There may be something to this...

Boston isn't NY or LA, but Miami wasn't Miami until Wade was already there and they made cap room.

Start now and be an open-armed franchise (great history, great coach, respected GM, owner willing to pay, great fans, close to NYC, etc) ready to greet Kevin Durant and his best 3 free agent friends when he realizes he wants to leave his nickel and diming team.

Yes Miami was.  They were an attractive FA destination.  Boston NEVER has been and probably won't be.   

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Yeah,  ::)

Danny Ainge took on Gerald Wallace with the SOLE purpose of getting another pick out of Brooklyn. You really think a year later he is going to trade the #6 overall pick to get rid of him?

Stupidity...

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 12:17:13 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Terrible idea.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

You have to take some contracts back and they're likely to be poor ones.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
The only way to get rid of Wallace is to trade him with Rondo. Personally i don't see why we should trade our picks, Green & Bass. Unless it's for picks i'll keep these two.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The only way to get rid of Wallace is to trade him with Rondo.

I'm afraid so

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell