Author Topic: I feel myself vomiting - Melo and Bron????  (Read 21416 times)

Re: Carmello to Miami?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
There is no way that all four of those guys will sign in Miami.  They would have to give up tens of millions of dollars to make it happen, and I don't care how much they make off endorsements, that aint happening.

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'd take a break from the nba. What's the point?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would not watch anymore. Would really turn me away from the game. I'd hope Melo has some spirit in him to compete against these guys instead of running and joining them.

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Free-market opinion, not a basketball opinion: I have no issues with this. I actually kind of applaud it. Individuals should be allowed to choose their employers and coworkers.

Pro sports isn't a free market.  Are thousands of people going to pay money to watch the Heat with Melo scrimmage against themselves for 82 games?  NBA franchises aren't competing companies.  They're different brands from the same company.  This would be like a car company that makes 8 different models putting all their focus on making one of those models great and letting the other 7 be pieces of crap.

Besides, I can't believe that Bosh can really afford to give up millions of dollars a year.  He's not exactly an endorsement machine.  I also think the players union, players in general and the other 29 owners would not tolerate it. 

And in case any LeBron butt-kissers in the media wonder why people don't like him, this is why.

Mike

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11068709/miami-heat-discussing-options-target-carmelo-anthony-free-agency

If this happens I'm done with the NBA. Does anyone want to earn a ring anymore and compete against each other? Or just team up and take the easy way out? Where are the competitors in the NBA this league is becoming a joke if this happens.
I had the same thought when I heard this. Better to watch the Globetrotters who would also win every game, but be entertaining to boot.  This would kill ratings.

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why do I keep getting the crazy suspicion that this is actually going to happen...

Oye.

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2014, 12:06:09 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11068709/miami-heat-discussing-options-target-carmelo-anthony-free-agency

If this happens I'm done with the NBA. Does anyone want to earn a ring anymore and compete against each other? Or just team up and take the easy way out? Where are the competitors in the NBA this league is becoming a joke if this happens.

I enjoy the contrast between your outrage and your username.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Seems like the Class of '03 is as tight as ever.  But when will they get Mo Williams there to round out the lineup?

...in all seriousness people talk a lot about how players should take less money to get a better team around them - we had a thread about it today.  You're already insanely rich, so be unselfish, championships are all that matter.  Kobe got a lot of criticism for taking a big extension and hampering the Lakers' ability to put stars around him.  If LeBron et al really are going the other route, why is that a bad thing?  I mean, the competitive advantage would suck, but really, aren't we just getting mad about seeing an unusually unselfish generation of guys all wanting to maximize their chances at rings?

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Seems like the Class of '03 is as tight as ever.  But when will they get Mo Williams there to round out the lineup?

...in all seriousness people talk a lot about how players should take less money to get a better team around them - we had a thread about it today.  You're already insanely rich, so be unselfish, championships are all that matter.  Kobe got a lot of criticism for taking a big extension and hampering the Lakers' ability to put stars around him.  If LeBron et al really are going the other route, why is that a bad thing?  I mean, the competitive advantage would suck, but really, aren't we just getting mad about seeing an unusually unselfish generation of guys all wanting to maximize their chances at rings?

You get your logic out of here.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Why do I keep getting the crazy suspicion that this is actually going to happen...

Oye.

With Melo's relationship with LBJ and his draftsmen, I think it's very plausible...
Although I hate this superfriends, but there should be drawback if this happen like a very thin bench like what Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Howard did in the Lakers.. but this might be a case as these 4 players' chemistry is not yet known and they're playing under Mike Brown...
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 12:24:44 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

While I don't mind players teaming up, I feel this is bad for the NBA. There'll be very little competition now that it feels pointless to watch.

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

While I don't mind players teaming up, I feel this is bad for the NBA. There'll be very little competition now that it feels pointless to watch.

I completely agree, that's the biggest problem with it.  On paper that's a crazy team.  But nothing is guaranteed - the Mavs beat a healthy Heat in 2011.   And all four guys would be over 30 next year.  Whatever comes of it, it'll have a limited shelf life.

I hope it doesn't happen for the record.  That'd be a huge roadblock to getting our next contender going.  But all the moral indignation about it seems pretty silly, since they'd be doing something in reality that a lot of the same people like as a hypothetical.

Re: I feel myself vomiting - Melo and Bron????
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
99 percent Lebron is staying with the Heat regardless of what happens vs the spurs
Bron, Wade and Bosh all have the ability to opt out this season.  They could all opt out, take 5 mil less... and sign Melo.   I brought that up a couple months ago jokingly, but it's actually a possible scenario.

Also possible Melo and Bron join with Kobe on the Lakers.  They'd just need to dump Steve Nash's contract and let Pau walk.

its possible but it won't happen.

Lebron as ****ly he was to join with two other all stars (only way he knows he has a chance to win it all) wouldn't have left the Cavs if he was provided one other legit top two way player.

Instead they gave him Mo Williams, Gibson, Verajao.  If Boozer another son of a gun didn't leave maybe they would of won something.

Funny... here's an article that suggests pretty much exactly what I have been saying was a possibility for months.  Miami's big 3 opt out... they all take paycuts to sign Melo and all of them take about 12-15 mil a year.

Cap will be about 63 mil.  They got haslem with a 4.6 mil player option + 2.1 for Cole and 1.5 for Anderson.  That leaves about 55 mil... split it 4 ways they each get about 13.75 mil.

That would be INSANE pay cuts for them to do that.  Each of them could make about 7-10 mil more per season.  But if they do that... I mean...  whatever.  If they are willing to collectively sacrifice over 100 million dollars for the love of basketball... so be it. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:40:46 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:12 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Meh, Lebron could sign for the league minimum and still make more than anyone.  For that matter, put these four together and they'll all make way more off endorsements than they ever could on the court.

As much as I'd like to complain about teams stacking, if the Celts somehow pulled Love, Melo and Asik to Boston, I wouldn't be too upset about it.  I know, those four aren't exactly the Miami four, but "any given Sunday" doesn't exactly apply in the NBA.

Mike

How would Melo be in both Miami and Boston at the same time?    ???

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:26 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Meh, Lebron could sign for the league minimum and still make more than anyone.  For that matter, put these four together and they'll all make way more off endorsements than they ever could on the court.

As much as I'd like to complain about teams stacking, if the Celts somehow pulled Love, Melo and Asik to Boston, I wouldn't be too upset about it.  I know, those four aren't exactly the Miami four, but "any given Sunday" doesn't exactly apply in the NBA.

Mike

How would Melo be in both Miami and Boston at the same time?    ???

Boston will be getting Fab Melo instead :P
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…