Author Topic: I feel myself vomiting - Melo and Bron????  (Read 21414 times)

Re: I feel myself vomiting - Melo and Bron????
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
that doesn't change the fact that what we're talking about is players doing what "selfless" players are supposed to do. 

Conspiring with other great players to team up and beat everybody else isn't "selfless".  It's selfish and cowardly.

Does anyone think that the reason this wasn't done in the past is because those players weren't "selfless" or didn't want to win as much as LeBron?  No.  It's because those guys wanted to beat other great players to prove their own greatness, not team up with them to try and stack the deck in their favor.

Mike

Sacrificing money and stats to put together the best team possible and maximize your chances at a ring is selfish?  Winning is selfish?  I respect your opinion, but that doesn't make any sense to me at all.    And I think if it was Heat management talking their players into taking less money to sign Melo, opinions would be a lot different.  Why is it wrong for players to do exactly the same thing?

As for past generations, I'd say the more restrictive contracts and free agency rules of the past, along with a lot less money to go around, were a much bigger factor than than a "people were tougher back in the good ol' days" explanation. 

« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
that doesn't change the fact that what we're talking about is players doing what "selfless" players are supposed to do. 

Conspiring with other great players to team up and beat everybody else isn't "selfless".  It's selfish and cowardly.

Does anyone think that the reason this wasn't done in the past is because those players weren't "selfless" or didn't want to win as much as LeBron?  No.  It's because those guys wanted to beat other great players to prove their own greatness, not team up with them to try and stack the deck in their favor.

Mike

Sacrificing money and stats to put together the best team possible and maximize your chances at a ring is selfish?  Winning is selfish?  I respect your opinion, but that doesn't make any sense to me at all.    And I think if it was Heat management talking their players into taking less money to sign Melo, opinions would be a lot different.  Why is it wrong for players to do exactly the same thing?

As for past generations, I'd say the more restrictive contracts and free agency rules of the past, along with a lot less money to go around, were a much bigger factor than than a "people were tougher back in the good ol' days" explanation.
its selfish because that team will steamroll every team for years to come. its lebrons easy way to surpassing MJ's 6 rings. no one will be able to stop them.  every superstar in the east is on 1 team now. 

its not fair to other teams because unlike other stars, lebron and co can circumvent the salary cap with their lucrative off court endorsement, therefore other stars like rondo cant just take a minimum contract and sacrifice for winning as easily. theres not balance with salary because off court endorsements make up for it for lebron and melo and these guys. they can play for free while players like rondo with close to no endorsements have to play for their money.

« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't care how many rings LeBron wins he'll never be in the same class as the greats. ESPN will try to put him in that class but the more he surrounds himself with players to carry him he'll never be there.

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2014, 05:35:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If this happens, I think Melo would be taking the easy way out...

The hard work he's put in to get to this point in his career would be for naught..

JMO, but bringing Melo into MIA would upset chemistry...I'm sure they'd all get along, but basketball-wise there are ONLY so many shots to take...

Too bad they don't have THIS guy:

If Melo goes to MIA (Or if Bron goes to NY) all that will make Rajon do is try even harder to beat them.

Melo should just stop the rumored nonsense and come on to BOS...Rajon (and hopefully KLove) will be waiting.

And as much as I'd love Melo in BOS, I just don't know if Melo would be able to thrive in BOS....there is SO much tradition here.......would he be up to the challenge?

How would he react upon looking at those banners......retired jerseys....I imagine that would be enough to humble even the greatest players.

I sincerely hope Melo considers ALL of his options, not just the hype. He should be looking downwind at this point in his career and considering HIS legacy....not Lebron's.

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I sincerely hope Melo considers ALL of his options, not just the hype. He should be looking downwind at this point in his career and considering HIS legacy....not Lebron's.

I absolutely agree with this.

Does Melo really want to go down as "Lebron's sidekick"?

At least Wade had already won a title as the team's best player prior to Lebron's arrival.  Melo would never be able to say that.  And the thing is, I do think Melo could win a title without Lebron, given the right supporting cast.

I'd love to see Melo come to Boston, team up with Rondo, and hopefully one other all-star, and compete had to head with Miami.  That would be fun.  If not, Melo should go to Houston and team up with Howard and Harden.  Three players, all about equal in terms of stature, would be tough.

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2014, 05:46:24 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
If it happens, Silver might as well rename the league:
National Boring Association - Where Miami Winning Every Year Happens.

I just read yesterday that James made $30 million last year through his investment in Dre's Beats. $30 million.Then add the rest of his endorsements. I'm sure he won't mind taking a pay cut again.

PS. Go Spurs!

« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

1.  If Miami was trying to talk Bron, Bosh, Wade and Melo into leaving 15 to 20 million dollars on the table, most people would think they were crazy and have no problem with the players saying no to that.

2.  What's selfish is that this move wasn't about the team.  It wasn't about other players.  It wasn't about the coach.  It wasn't about the franchise.  It wasn't about the fans.  It wasn't about competition.  It sure as hell wasn't about respecting the game or being the best or achieving greatness.  It was about LeBron feeling his personal brand would be damaged if he didn't win a title, so he tried to take a short cut to getting one.  That it didn't turn out to be quite as easy as he THOUGHT it was going to be, doesn't change any of that.

Mike

« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
People don't realize these are 4 top 15 players on the same team. It has never happened before, and naming past good teams WIll not change that.
You are actually calling both Bosh and Wade top 15 players.  Now that is funny.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm sure it has been said already (can't read 11 pages) but no way the NBA allows it. IMO they should step in and start fining people now, this would be HUGE collusion between players. The other owners would/should be upset about this and start cracking down now.

On the other hand Stephen A Smith is useless and knows nothing! Same moron that said we are going to trade Doc for Blake Griffin!

« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
People don't realize these are 4 top 15 players on the same team. It has never happened before, and naming past good teams WIll not change that.
I really don't know what to think about Bosh. Physically I think he still has it in him to play like he did in Toronto. But they've turned him into a floor spacer who doesn't attack the high or low post much at all.

Wade's clearly done as a top guy. He's into the late stage Ray/Pierce 2/3 years early. Given his lack of shooting ability I doubt he ages as gracefully either.

« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I really don't know what to think about Bosh. Physically I think he still has it in him to play like he did in Toronto. But they've turned him into a floor spacer who doesn't attack the high or low post much at all.

Wade's clearly done as a top guy. He's into the late stage Ray/Pierce 2/3 years early. Given his lack of shooting ability I doubt he ages as gracefully either.

Given the amount of abuse he put himself through in the first decade + change of his career, its not that surprising. He's maybe one or two seasons away from turning into 2006 Gary Payton.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.