Author Topic: *Idea* Wolves get top 3 pick. Celtics get Love. Bucks get a haul. Everyone wins.  (Read 4778 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Posted this one on a Wolves board for feedback. It's unlikely, but based on today's speculation that the Bucks would consider trading down with the Magic for Exum....perhaps they'd give up the #2 for a nice package? We keep the 17th pick, Sullinger and move Gerald Wallace...
Biggest clincher here for the Bucks is the 2015 first rounder for the Wolves which will be extremely valuable if they go rebuild mode after trading Love.
Thoughts?
Swap one of the picks (Clippers 2015 1st rounder) for Sully?

Milwaulkee sends:
2014 #2 pick

Boston sends:
2014 #6, 2015 1st rounder, 2015 Clippers pick, 2016 Brooklyn pick, Gerald Wallace.

Wolves send:
#13 pick, 2015 1st rounder unprotected, Kevin Love+ filler.

Milwaulkee receives:
2014 #6 pick
2014 #13 pick
2015 Minnesota unprotected first rounder
2016 Brooklyn pick

Minnesota receives:
2014 #2 pick
2015 Boston first round pick
2015 Clippers pick
Gerald Wallace

Boston receives:
Kevin Love

*edit, I had Keith Bogan's expiring in the original idea but changed it to Gerald Wallace- who is not expiring*

*Edit 2. The Bucks pick is actually number 2, Philadelphia has the third. Makes it better for the Wolves.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:32:17 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
T-wolves are not going to take back Wallace's bad contract. 

T-Wolves are rebuilding.  They are not going to trade away their 1st round pick next year. 

I am hard press seeing the Celtics send out 4 draft picks especially if it includes the future Net picks.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't like it for Minnesota.

Yes, they get the #3 pick, which has a lot of value.  To get it, though, they have to give up Kevin Love, a lottery pick, and another pick next year.  Yes, they get two likely non-lottery picks in return, but they also have to take on Wallace's bad (non-expiring) contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Gerald Wallace's contract is "expiring"? This is great news!!!

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Gerald Wallace's contract is "expiring"? This is great news!!!

lol sorry. Had Bogans in there with Bass then changed it to Wallace's expiring :)

I thought, nah %^$#$ em', they can take Wallace if they want the #3 pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I don't like it for Minnesota.

Yes, they get the #3 pick, which has a lot of value.  To get it, though, they have to give up Kevin Love, a lottery pick, and another pick next year.  Yes, they get two likely non-lottery picks in return, but they also have to take on Wallace's bad (non-expiring) contract.

Kevin Love's a goner either way. The 2015 pick is unknown (also making the Bucks cautious), and they get a shot at Wiggins, Parker or Embid- Essentially all number one picks in other NBA drafts. They also get picks in return and taking back Gerald Wallace for 2 years is nothing because he expires in 2015/16 and they'll be tanking anyway. (Just as we did when we took him for the Brooklyn picks).

I do understand where you're coming from though.
Thought it was an interesting perspective on us getting Love.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

T-Wolves are rebuilding.  They are not going to trade away their 1st round pick next year. 

I am hard press seeing the Celtics send out 4 draft picks especially if it includes the future Net picks.

1) We did when we decided to rebuild with the KG+Pierce trade. Why wouldn't they?
2) The #3 pick is a guaranteed shot at Embid, Wiggins or Parker which is much more solidified than a 2015 first rounder. Obviously the 2015 first rounder is odds to be very good, but it's not guaranteed at all. This years draft's top 3 players are number one picks in a majority of other drafts so you can see my logic.
3) We are sending our #6 and our 2015 1st rounder. We'd hope with Rondo and Love that this would be in the early 20's so not a huge loss. Same with the Clippers pick. The only real gamble is the Brooklyn pick because that could be gold. It could also be horse doo doo when the Russian owner decides to to overspend the cap to another record.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

1) We did when we decided to rebuild with the KG+Pierce trade. Why wouldn't they?
2) The #3 pick is a guaranteed shot at Embid, Wiggins or Parker which is much more solidified than a 2015 first rounder. Obviously the 2015 first rounder is odds to be very good, but it's not guaranteed at all. This years draft's top 3 players are number one picks in a majority of other drafts so you can see my logic.
3) We are sending our #6 and our 2015 1st rounder. We'd hope with Rondo and Love that this would be in the early 20's so not a huge loss. Same with the Clippers pick. The only real gamble is the Brooklyn pick because that could be gold. It could also be horse doo doo when the Russian owner decides to to overspend the cap to another record.

1)  The Celtics took Wallace to get extra draft options.  In your deal, the Wolves are trading out an unprotected 1st next year after trading away the best player on a team that missed the playoffs.
2)  They are rebuilding.  It would make more sense to keep next years pick vs. taking back the two picks they would be getting from the Celtics, which then means they are not getting back as much for Love.
3)  It not how much of a loss it is to the players, it is about not overpaying when this is just one step in the rebuild.

Again, for the T-wolves in this trade:
Give up the best player
Take back the worst contract
Trade away two lotto picks

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I agree that Minnesota doesn't do that, but I can't believe the haul for Milwaukee.  I mean that could be four lottery picks (guaranteed 2) for only the #3 pick.  That is a crazy haul.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The only thing missing for a classic Celtics Blog fan trade is us getting Larry Sanders for free.

I doubt all the parties are as gung ho for this as you.  Four picks is a little steep for us as well, I think.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

1)  The Celtics took Wallace to get extra draft options.  In your deal, the Wolves are trading out an unprotected 1st next year after trading away the best player on a team that missed the playoffs.
2)  They are rebuilding.  It would make more sense to keep next years pick vs. taking back the two picks they would be getting from the Celtics, which then means they are not getting back as much for Love.
3)  It not how much of a loss it is to the players, it is about not overpaying when this is just one step in the rebuild.

Give up the best player

Ok well look at it this way...

1) Doesn't change the fact that Love is leaving. What have the playoffs got to do with anything? The point of this trade is that they are rebuilding and starting with a diamond asset in the number 3 pick in an insanely stacked draft.

2) Again, they're getting the number 3 pick and future picks in compensation. They still get our 2015 first rounder but this is based around them getting a locked in top 3 pick. They could tank for 5 years and never land a top 3 pick- letalone in a draft with players of this potential.

3) I feel like I'm repeating myself. Top 3 pick. That's not a 'step in the rebuild' in a draft like this. The top 3 guys are number 1 picks in most other drafts...

Give up the best player

1) He's going anyway
2) who cares you're rebuilding, he's not taking up valuable cap space while you develop young guys...exactly why we took him on this season? And he's an expiring contract after next season
3) trade away two lotto picks for Joel Embid, Wiggins, or Jabari Parker.

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Posted this one on a Wolves board for feedback. It's unlikely, but based on today's speculation that the Bucks would consider trading down with the Magic for Exum....perhaps they'd give up the #3 for a nice package? We keep the 17th pick, Sullinger and move Gerald Wallace...
Biggest clincher here for the Bucks is the 2015 first rounder for the Wolves which will be extremely valuable if they go rebuild mode after trading Love.
Thoughts?

Milwaulkee sends:
2014 #3 pick

Boston sends:
2014 #6, 2015 1st rounder, 2016 Clippers pick, 2016 Brooklyn pick, Gerald Wallace.

Wolves send:

Milwaulkee receives:
2014 #6 pick
2014 #13 pick
2016 Brooklyn pick

Minnesota receives:
2014 #3 pick
2016 Clippers pick
Gerald Wallace

Boston receives:
Kevin Love

*edit, I had Keith Bogan's expiring in the original idea but changed it to Gerald Wallace- who is not expiring*

While I like the general idea -- getting MIL involved so MIN can get a top-3 pick -- there are some things that don't work along with MIN not wanting Wallace:

1. MIN already owes its 2015 #1 pick to PHO
2. The Clippers #1 is in 2015

I wonder if there are some other pieces that could make this work.... Mayo (MIL-->BOS via trade exception; MIL would love to get rid of Mayo I assume), Kevin Martin (MIN --> MIL), Bass (BOS--> MIL), etc.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is a terrible deal for Minnesota.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I agree that Minnesota doesn't do that, but I can't believe the haul for Milwaukee.  I mean that could be four lottery picks (guaranteed 2) for only the #3 pick.  That is a crazy haul.

Ha it's a monstrous haul, but it what you'd expect after giving up a top 3 pick in a draft like this right? What do you think Minny would want as sweetener? I originally had Sullinger in there but took him because we are gift wrapping them a top 3 pick for a player who's walking for nothing.

Ultimately it depends how much they like the top 3 but to replace Kevin Love for Andrew Wiggins and all you have to do is:
give up your 13th pick, swap picks in 2015 and take on Gerald Wallace for 2 years...You also get a Brooklyn pick and a Clippers pick which can be used as assets if you'd like to get back into the 2015 draft again.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Posted this one on a Wolves board for feedback. It's unlikely, but based on today's speculation that the Bucks would consider trading down with the Magic for Exum....perhaps they'd give up the #3 for a nice package? We keep the 17th pick, Sullinger and move Gerald Wallace...
Thoughts?

Milwaulkee sends:
2014 #3 pick

Boston sends:
2014 #6, 2015 1st rounder, 2016 Clippers pick, 2016 Brooklyn pick, Gerald Wallace.

Wolves send:

Milwaulkee receives:
2014 #6 pick
2014 #13 pick
2016 Brooklyn pick

Minnesota receives:
2014 #3 pick
2016 Clippers pick
Gerald Wallace

Boston receives:
Kevin Love

While I like the general idea -- getting MIL involved so MIN can get a top-3 pick -- there are some things that don't work along with MIN not wanting Wallace:

1. MIN already owes its 2015 #1 pick to PHO
2. The Clippers #1 is in 2015

I wonder if there are some other pieces that could make this work.... Mayo (MIL-->BOS via trade exception; MIL would love to get rid of Mayo I assume), Kevin Martin (MIN --> MIL), Bass (BOS--> MIL), etc.

Oh wow. Perhaps it would have to be 2016 Minny pick. I guess Minny can draft for the Bucks because the pick is top 12 protected..
Yeah Can't see the Bucks involved unless a juicy unprotected first rounder from Minny was involved either way :S