Author Topic: Why the celtics should not draft Kristaps Porzingis at 17#  (Read 25545 times)

Re: Why the celtics should not draft Kristaps Porzingis at 17#
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
You guys don't know what you're talking about.

You just heard his name for the first time in the past week, and you're already forming hard opinions.

If Porzingis played college basketball last year you'd know much more about him and would be all over him at 17.

Why you shouldn't create threads like this.

Thats your opinion.  It's just as possible that if he played college basketball last year he wouldnt be getting drafted at all.  There have been plenty of young skilled big men to come out of europe only to fall flat on their faces in the NBA against a high level of competition.

He's quick and skilled enough to play minutes at SF as a 7 foot rookie. You guys should study him more, and think a little bit.

He's more proven than most of the college players in this draft, because he plays in the best league in the world outside of the NBA, as an 18 year old.

He's very tough, he just needs to add more weight.

You don't just dismiss athletic and long and skilled 7 footers because you haven't seen him play college ball 20 times.

I think most people are dismissive of 7 footers coming out of europe is because there have been plenty more that have busted than have actually lived up to their potential.
Greg

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I read reports he had narrow shoulders.   Guys with narrow shoulders are weak and do not have the broad base to build strength on.  Strong guys invaribly have broad shoulders.

Weaknesses: He?s still skinny with narrow shoulders, needing to bulk up, without consistent improvements on his frame over the last three years

http://nbadraft.net/players/kristaps-porzingis

He is still a kid, but narrow shoulders = less space to build muscle upon.  Less body to carve out space , too.

Like I said the best thing some of these foreign guys have going for them is they are unknown and tall.   Someone takes a flyer and they have a contract for the next few years even if they only average 6 PPG and 3 RPG in ACB league play.  I hope Danny does not draft him.

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Joakim Noah has narrow shoulders too.

Look guys, Porzingis is never going to be Kendrick Perkins, but he'll be a much better player overall.

Even if he stays at PF his whole career, he brings outstanding length and quickness and skill. He'd be our best Pick and Roll defending big, and our best rim protector.

KO and Sully would both be able to play center at a higher level with somebody like Porzingis on the helpside.

And Porzingis will be able to shoot over the top of every single PF.

Add to that that Porzingis could perhaps play the SF alongside Sully and KO, and you might be looking at a real Big 3 of the future.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:53 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
I read reports he had narrow shoulders.   Guys with narrow shoulders are weak and do not have the broad base to build strength on.  Strong guys invaribly have broad shoulders.

Weaknesses: He?s still skinny with narrow shoulders, needing to bulk up, without consistent improvements on his frame over the last three years

http://nbadraft.net/players/kristaps-porzingis

He is still a kid, but narrow shoulders = less space to build muscle upon.  Less body to carve out space , too.

Like I said the best thing some of these foreign guys have going for them is they are unknown and tall.   Someone takes a flyer and they have a contract for the next few years even if they only average 6 PPG and 3 RPG in ACB league play.  I hope Danny does not draft him.

that web site is very very weak in its scouting of European players. Two weeks ago they had Porzingis going undrafted, and Nukic in the second round. They simply don't give overseas players serious attention.

KG and Bosh didn't fill out from ages 16-19. It's called "still growing".

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Northern Lightning why do you think this guy is any different than any of the other 7'1" euros that have been taken over the past few years.  There are several, and they all seem to fit the same mold as this guy.

This isnt meant to be a snarky question.  These guys just seem like theyre a dime a dozen, and Id like to hear a reason why I should put this guy in a category of his own if Im gonna pass on someone like TJ Warren to take him.
Greg

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Northern Lightning why do you think this guy is any different than any of the other 7'1" euros that have been taken over the past few years.  There are several, and they all seem to fit the same mold as this guy.

This isnt meant to be a snarky question.  These guys just seem like theyre a dime a dozen, and Id like to hear a reason why I should put this guy in a category of his own if Im gonna pass on someone like TJ Warren to take him.

7 foot Euros, huh? All the same?

You mean like Asik, Pekovic, Vucivic, Gortat, Noah, Dirk, Pau, Marc Gasol, etc?

What separates Porzingis from a Bargnani is that Porzingis is much tougher and feistier, and has a real defensive oriented game. He's great against the pick and roll, and we don't have anybody like that. We also don't have anybody who can block and disrupt shots like Porzingis can, especially from the weak side.

Porzingis would fill our long term needs for length and athleticism in the frontcourt, in addition to his extremely promising offensive game that already includes decent ball handling and 3 point shooting for a 7 footer.

Just because he's european, doesn't mean he's like every bust you can think of from Europe.

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
The fact is Kelly Olynyk is just going to keep getting stronger, and there are far fewer dominant scorers at center than there are at PF. Do we really want KO or Sully guarding the athletic superstars at PF full time? Heck no.

Porzingis is the kind of long athlete that could pair very well with either Sully or KO, covering up their lack of athleticism and length. And he'll grow into a guy that can play some center down the road, while making us better in a limited role right away.

Asik sounds great until he's on our team taking up 15 million, and KO and Sully are still getting killed on the pick and roll at the PF spot, and then Asik is a total non-factor on offense.

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Porzingis does have small hips, which means he'll probably never be a great banger in the paint against centers. He won't have the leg and butt strength to hold position at an elite level. But he'll always be a great help defender and PnR defender, and those two things seem to be more important in today's NBA than post defense anyway.

We don't need a big beefcake rim protecting center if we have a super long and mobile 7 foot power forward.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
You named 8 players that span over 15 years.  Asik, Dirk, Marc Gasol, Gortat also dont sport the same narrow shoulders and wirey frame (and they didnt when they came into the league either)  Noah, was in the NCAA, I dont why you included him. 

I can name the same amount over the past 5 years that most people probably never heard of b/c theyre either already out of the league or are on their way out

Tibor Pleiss taken in 2010 7'1, Ryan Richards 7'0 taken in 2010, Donatas Motiejunas 7'0 taken in 2011, Ognjen Kuzmic 7'1" in 2012, Jan Vesley, Henk Norel, Alexis Ajinca, Ante Tomic, etc.

They all basically have the same scouting reports, potential, physical tools, upside, shot blocking (against inferior competition). 

I like your optimism, but he just seems like another dime a dozen euro.  Id rather take my chances with a guy that we know can play against fringe NBA level competition in the NCAA
Greg

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 11:16:14 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
"I like your optimism, but he just seems like another dime a dozen euro.  Id rather take my chances with a guy that we know can play against fringe NBA level competition in the NCAA"

He's already playing against better competition than the NCAA. You don't seem to realize that. He's playing against former NCAA stars who are even better now, along with former NBA players like Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez, and future Bull Mirotic.

Every big man he plays against are grown men, unlike the NCAA where most centers are 6'9-6'10 and nowhere near as skilled as european pros.

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:28 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
If Porzingis didn't have a defensive mentality he'd have much more in common with some of the other European bigs who haven't panned out.

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Looks like a body builder next to Porzingis.