Author Topic: Law School  (Read 1026 times)

Law School
« on: June 10, 2014, 04:17:42 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of finishing up my college degree and I'm taking my LSAT this fall. I plan on attending law school beginning in the fall of 2015. That being said, I am aware that several regular posters on this site are attorneys, and I would love to hear whatever tips or advice you could give in regards to succeeding in law school, setting yourself up for a job afterwards, etc..
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Re: Law School
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My first bit of advice:  ignore rankings, especially when they're close.  Go to a law school in an area of the country you think you want to practice in.  Obviously, going to a top-10 law school is going to matter anywhere you go.  Outside of that, though, I've noticed that most employers hire graduates of the local schools.  For instance, in New Jersey there was a preference for Rutgers grads; in Maine, employers like UMaine graduates.  Why?  Probably because most of the employers went to those local schools, too.

Similarly, go to the school that offers you the most money (again, within reason, and with an eye on geography).  I racked up an additional $60,000 in loans by choosing the school that was ranked more highly.

During law school, your first year courses will be set for you.  As you pick electives in your second and third year, focus on practical courses:  trial practice, legal clinics, etc.  Even if you don't expect to be a litigator, it's important to be familiar with being in a court room.

Similarly, take courses in a few key areas, even if you don't expect to practice in that area.  Even if you're going to be an environmental lawyer, take a Family Law course.  First, you never know where life will take you.  Second, you're likely to have friends and family who will ask for your advice at some point, and it's good to have some basic knowledge to fall back on.

Most importantly, make sure that you really want to be a lawyer.  There are lots and lots of disgruntled attorneys in this field.  A lot of people hate their careers; make sure you're pursuing this avenue because you really love the law, and not because you think it's a great way to make money or because you don't know what else to do, so you're going to stay in school.  I find practicing law to be a really rewarding career, partially because of the career choices I've made (turning down the opportunity to work at a big firm for government work, followed by opening a solo practice.)  It's simple advice, but think about what's going to make you happy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes