Author Topic: Rondo and #6 plus #17 for #2 plus Mayo/Knight?  (Read 5859 times)

Re: Rondo and #6 plus #17 for #2 plus Mayo/Knight?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Embiid were available with the 2nd pick, we would be absolutely insane not to make this trade, and even offer to sweeten with a future 1st round pick, say Clippers.

And Milwaukee would be equally insane to give up a franchise player like Embiid.

By the way, if Rondo's new team in Milwaukee is decent, he would have a lot of incentive to stay if they offered him max deal.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Let me explain my original deal better:

Knight and Mayo are purely filler.  This is to get Wiggins and build around him.

One more year of unwatchable basketball is worth it if we have Wiggins and the promise of a top 3 pick. 

Don't resign Bradley or Humphries. No point in being slightly better if it costs you cap space a year later. Let Knight and Bass expire.  After one year, stretch Wallace.  Trade Mayo for an expiring at the next deadline if you can. 

In 2015, there will be free agents to go after and you will have Wiggins and another top 4 pick and probably still Olynyk/Sullinger.  And you still have all the future draft picks owed to build with. 

It may be overpaying for Wiggins but you have to convince Bucks.  No need to keep #17 and pay that salary.  Rondo would fit perfect with their roster.  The 6 and 17 picks would help build their bench. 

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
2015 free agents-

Kyrie
Klay Thompson
Millsap
Asik
Deandre Jordan
David west
Hibbert
Marc Gasol
Kevin love
Arron Afflalo
Lamarcus Aldridge
Kawhi Leonard
Enes Kanter

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Knight and Mayo are purely filler.  This is to get Wiggins and build around him.

One more year of unwatchable basketball is worth it if we have Wiggins and the promise of a top 3 pick. 

Don't resign Bradley or Humphries. No point in being slightly better if it costs you cap space a year later. Let Knight and Bass expire.  After one year, stretch Wallace.  Trade Mayo for an expiring at the next deadline if you can. 

In 2015, there will be free agents to go after and you will have Wiggins and another top 4 pick and probably still Olynyk/Sullinger.  And you still have all the future draft picks owed to build with. 

It may be overpaying for Wiggins but you have to convince Bucks.  No need to keep #17 and pay that salary.  Rondo would fit perfect with their roster.  The 6 and 17 picks would help build their bench.

We don't really know whether Wiggins is the kind of player you can build around. Based on his comments Danny doesn't really think so.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

This is a bad roster you've constructed and cap room won't do you much good if you're losing badly (which is your intention).  Top free agents can get paid anywhere, so why would any of them come to a loser? On top of that, you're betting the farm on Wiggins which is not good risk management. There's not a chance that your roster would be down for only one more year unless Magic or Larry's in the next draft and with the age of one-and-done, those days are long gone.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think a lot of posters here need to realize Milwaukee tanked, and they didn't tank all season to trade for RR and Green, they tanked to get a top 3 pick and they got it. That was their goal for the season, and they achieved it. There is very little chance we can trade into the top 3 of this draft without ridiculously overpaying.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
2015 free agents-

Kyrie
Klay Thompson
Millsap
Asik
Deandre Jordan
David west
Hibbert
Marc Gasol
Kevin love
Arron Afflalo
Lamarcus Aldridge
Kawhi Leonard
Enes Kanter

Kevin Love and DeAndre Jordan sounds nice :)

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think a lot of posters here need to realize Milwaukee tanked, and they didn't tank all season to trade for RR and Green, they tanked to get a top 3 pick and they got it. That was their goal for the season, and they achieved it. There is very little chance we can trade into the top 3 of this draft without ridiculously overpaying.

This, pretty much.

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

This, pretty much.

Yeah, but they are also getting the #6 (and #17) in this deal which could net them as good of a player as they are getting at #2.

If I'm the Cs, there is no way I would do this deal - seems like way too much of any overpay. There are often total busts in the top 3 and rookie of the year candidates in the few picks thereafter. I am not saying that I wouldn't prefer a top 3, but I am not giving up Rondo, the #6, and #17 to get it.

We aren't getting one of the top 4 - let's move on and start being competitive again by trading for a [semi] superstar and a defensive center.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

This, pretty much.

Yeah, but they are also getting the #6 (and #17) in this deal which could net them as good of a player as they are getting at #2.

If I'm the Cs, there is no way I would do this deal - seems like way too much of any overpay. There are often total busts in the top 3 and rookie of the year candidates in the few picks thereafter. I am not saying that I wouldn't prefer a top 3, but I am not giving up Rondo, the #6, and #17 to get it.

We aren't getting one of the top 4 - let's move on and start being competitive again by trading for a [semi] superstar and a defensive center.

Statistically speaking, what you're saying simply isn't very likely (see: http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm and http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/2/10/3974638/just-how-valuable-are-lottery-draft-picks), but even beyond that, what you're saying applies to any draft pick.  There are total busts selected at every pick in the draft, it makes no real sense to point out that there could potentially be a bust in the top 3.  That doesn't suddenly preclude busts being drafted fourth to 30th.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
At this point, I'd almost rather keep our draft picks (or make trades to give us additional ones) than to make any trade to send out Rondo.  I truly believe that Rondo loves being a Celtic...knows he's going to be treated well as a Celtic...and will work with Ainge to rebuild this team as much as he can as the team captain.

Surround Rondo with talent...talented rookies or talented vets, either option works.  Then let us see what happens during the season and the list of free agents available next year.

Rak

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
As others have said, this deal is dead right from the start as Rondo would never commit to signing long term in Milwaukee. So why would the Bucks put such a potentially valuable asset as Wiggins or Embiid at risk for 1 year of Rondo? As for the Celtics, if they can't get Love or Anthony, I am sure that they would be happy to move Rondo for Wiggins or Embiid. Not crazy about Knight, mild interest in Mayo but at least Knight is an expiring contract this coming year.

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
On the other side of this coin, let me offer a different idea:

Keep Rondo, draft Vonleh at 6 and see what we can do with current assets and future picks to put Henson, Giannis, and Sanders in Boston.

Take the Bass, Bogans, Anthony package along with Sullinger and either Pressey or Johnson and whatever draft picks it costs (outside of #6) for the above 3 players and have to take on Mayo's contract.

Rondo
Giannis  Mayo
Green
Henson  Vonleh
Sanders  Olynyk

Bucks:

Knight  Wolters
Wiggins
Delfino  #17  Middleton
Sullinger  Ilyasova  Bass
Pachulia   Radulica

We would be getting away with highway robbery unless we included multiple picks.  #17 wont get it.  At least a 2016 unprotected Nets pick.  Maybe they want to shed Mayo/Sanders?

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

This, pretty much.

Statistically speaking, what you're saying simply isn't very likely (see: http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm and http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/2/10/3974638/just-how-valuable-are-lottery-draft-picks), but even beyond that, what you're saying applies to any draft pick.  There are total busts selected at every pick in the draft, it makes no real sense to point out that there could potentially be a bust in the top 3.  That doesn't suddenly preclude busts being drafted fourth to 30th.

I don't understand why you are arguing against the part of my post that I prefaced with, "I am not saying I wouldn't prefer a top 3..." I realize that the higher you pick, the better chance there is that you will get a star player, but the percentages don't drastically change when you move down a couple of spots. Just ask Por with Lillard or Phi with MCW in the last two drafts.

My point is that I don't want to also trade our all-star pg and the #17 in what should be a deep draft along with a high lottery pick for something that may or may not pan out to be better than we already have. Embiid may end up being a top player, but is there any reason to believe that one of: Smart, Randle, Gordon, or Vonleh won't be at least as good as Wiggins, Parker, or Exum? I highly doubt that exact draft order will dictate the ranking of each player's career.

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I can see why the Bucks would want to move Sanders, especially if they get Embiid. It's hard to see why they would want to move Henson and Giannis basically for Sullinger and draft picks. Why not rebuild the team around these three players? (Henson, Giannis, Embiid) or (Sanders, Wiggins, Henson and Giannis). Are the draft choices we are giving them really going to give them better prospects than these guys?