Author Topic: Trade for Al Horford??  (Read 3747 times)

Trade for Al Horford??
« on: June 09, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Lets just say Houston dont get Melo and decide to keep Asik and Milwaukee dont draft Embiid and decide to keep Sanders, what other options are available at center? Is Al Horford a possible option? Would he fit in in Boston (hypothetically next to Love)? Do we have enough assets to trade for him? And most importantly would ATL trade him?

Personally, I think ATL would look for a possible trade for him if they get fair value as they seem to be targeting a rebuild... Would a trade of Jeff Green, Bass, #17, and possibly the 76ers protected first work? I think thats fair considering he just came off of a serious injury so his trade value might be down but if he gets anywhere near the allstar level he was at preinjury, he would be the dream pairing upfront with Love... He is also a tough rim protector, can play the pick and roll, and provide veteran leadership for this celtics team..

Re: Trade for Al Horford??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I like Hortford but always thought of him more of a PF who played out of position at C.  So I'm not sure how a Hortford/Love combo would look defensively.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I can see the same Problem with Horford mentioned by the poster above. Gortat, Varejao or Chandler could be options.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I looked this up the other day. If we're considering a "rim protector," Horford should definitely be considered. He was 7th in the league last year in opp FG% of shots at the rim among players who played at least 30 minutes a game. Ties with DHoward
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we strike out on Love I'd be game on Horford. Great defender who can lock down the paint. He'd be a good fit with Love.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I love Horford but dont think that will be enough. If the Hawks are trying to rebuild, then #17, Bass, and Green arent the kind of assets theyd be looking for.

If anything, they could look at going after him if the Love deal falls through and the Celtics are still looking to trade the 6 pick.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd also be down with Horford but I am not sure Atlanta would deal him.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:51:14 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
I'd also be down with Horford but I am not sure Atlanta would deal him.
Dont see why Atlanta would hold on to him... At best they would be an 8 seed next season and get knocked out.. Might as well just rebuild by trading ur best asset and getting a couple of rentals and a couple of draft picks out of it as well.. Year after that theyd have a bunch of cap space with Milsap, L. williams, and Demarre Carrol coming off the books..

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If I'm Atlanta, Horford is the player I want to rebuild around. He just turned 28 a couple of days ago and is under my control for the next two seasons at a reasonable price. It looks like the mock draft guys have linked them to a couple of European bigs as a possible choice. I think if they were going to move anyone that it would be Paul Millsap who is a real nice player but is going to be 30 this season and also will be an expiring contract. He is a pure 4 and not a good fit for us. Regardless, if we use our #6 pick in the Love trade, we just don't really have the kind of assets that would tempt Atlanta to give us Horford. If we don't use it on Love or even Melo, then we might be able to combine it with enough other assets to tempt them. I wonder if Horford is our only acquisition, if that is enough to convince Rondo to stay?

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The price for al would be too much...he;s also very dependent on his athletic abilities, 8'10'' reach, 7' wingspan. He gets it done bc he is very athletic. But when that starts to fade he will have to play power 4ward.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24551605/report-hawks-interested-in-signing-greg-monroe-in-free-agency

Since ATL wants to make room to sign Greg Monroe, they'd be looking to almost completely shed Horford's salary. Have to try to find a way to offload salary from the Cs to get only a very little bit back to Atlanta.  Bass might be a good option for them since he'd be a good forward off of the bench and would cut $6M from Horford's salary. Then you'd just need to make the numbers work from the Cs standpoint.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:15:12 PM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24551605/report-hawks-interested-in-signing-greg-monroe-in-free-agency

Since ATL wants to make room to sign Greg Monroe, they'd be looking to almost completely shed Horford's salary. Have to try to find a way to offload salary from the Cs to get only a very little bit back to Atlanta.  Bass might be a good option for them since he'd be a good forward off of the bench and would cut $6M from Horford's salary. Then you'd just need to make the numbers work from the Cs standpoint.

How do you post that link and come away with the idea that the Hawks would try to dump Horford if they sign Monroe?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 11:51:42 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
If we strike out on Love I'd be game on Horford. Great defender who can lock down the paint. He'd be a good fit with Love.

Wait you can't say if we strike out on Love go after Horford and then say he'd be a good fit with Love..

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 04:18:30 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Horford has missed a lot of games because of his injuries. I am on the fence on this one.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 07:25:58 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I absolutely love Horford but the package you're proposing isn't gonna get it done.  Horford's not trying to force his way out of Atlanta and he still has 2 more years on his contract so they have no reason to trade him for anything less than full value. If the idea is to get Melo and a big, I'd probably rather go after Horford than Love to be honest.  He wouldn't cost as much, he can do a lot of the same things as Love on offense (most of them not as well, but still at a high level), he can play the 4 or 5, and he's light years ahead of Love on defense.  If we're gonna get a scorer like Melo I'd rather sacrifice a bit of offense for better defense.