Author Topic: 3 team trade for Love. Celtics, Kings, Timberwolves.  (Read 3035 times)

3 team trade for Love. Celtics, Kings, Timberwolves.
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:25:13 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Three team trade with Wolves, Kings, Celtics that gets rid of all these stupid Chicago ideas. Essentially presents another way for the Wolves to look at what they'd get for Jarred Sullinger. We're essentially sending the same assets out, but Minny are getting two top 10 picks this year and the Kings get a very solid power forward next to Cousins for the future and still keep a good pick in this years draft.

Celtics send to Kings
Sullinger+17th pick

Kings send to Timberwolves
2014 #8 pick

Celtics send to Timberwolves
2014 #6 pick
2015 Cetlics first round pick (top 10 protected)
Jeff Green
Joel Anthony (5 million expires in 2015)

Wolves send
Kevin Love to Celtics

Wolves get
Two top 10 picks+
Celtics 2015 first rounder (top 10 protected)
Jeff Green+
expiring Joel Anthony

Only questionable/unsure part is if Kings would give up the #8 for Sully and the #17.
Pretty good tandem down low with Sully and Cousins though..
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: 3 team trade for Love. Celtics, Kings, Timberwolves.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So you think that Chicago will get Love?

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

No, not a chance, but if the Wolves would prefer to pick their own player with the #8 pick instead of Sullinger then this gives them that flexibility.

Chicago's offer is just 3 role players on their own OR Butler, Mirotic and then swapping Gibson+the #16 for the Kings #8 pick.

Our offer is far superior in every way, it just removes any Sullinger objections and makes Wolves fans see what they could get. (two top 10 picks AND Green AND another first rounder).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I don't think that'd be too bad for the Kings. If they think any of the available PFs at 8 would be as good as Sully, they might as well pick up an almost-lottery pick.  The better question is that if they're major players for Love, why would they help him go anywhere else?
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I don't think that'd be too bad for the Kings. If they think any of the available PFs at 8 would be as good as Sully, they might as well pick up an almost-lottery pick.  The better question is that if they're major players for Love, why would they help him go anywhere else?

Realistically they aren't major players for Love. I'm not sure what they give up for Love, but all I've seen is Mclemore and #8 as the base package which our offer destroys.
*we have a better offer
*Love is not re-signing with Sacto (regardless if reports say the Kings will trade anyway without an extension guarantee. Our offer is still simply better too)

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I actually think that the Rockets have the best potential 'win now' trade for the Wolves.
Something like Asik, Parsons(sign and trade), Lin + future first rounder would be far better than Chicago dumping their role players.

They'd have to move Pekovic for some assets and their other role players but they'd have
Parsons
Rubio
Lin
Asik

with Dieng and Shabaz Muhammed off the bench.
And their 13th pick+ a future Rockets pick.

I still think our offer is better because
*Asik is expiring.
*The Rockets want Melo more than Love.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
Just because they can't put together a better package for Love doesn't mean that they'd actively work for him to get to another team, though. I think it would be detrimental. It'd definitely be a tough sell to your bosses if you were the GM, right?

Imagine the reaction if we couldn't get Love and we just decided to help him to another team. With a player who has said they will become a FA, if you couldn't get him, you wouldn't help him get to another team where he might sign an extension. All I'm saying that's a bigger hurdle than the compensation they're getting here.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:42 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Just because they can't put together a better package for Love doesn't mean that they'd actively work for him to get to another team, though. I think it would be detrimental. It'd definitely be a tough sell to your bosses if you were the GM, right?

Imagine the reaction if we couldn't get Love and we just decided to help him to another team. With a player who has said they will become a FA, if you couldn't get him, you wouldn't help him get to another team where he might sign an extension. All I'm saying that's a bigger hurdle than the compensation they're getting here.

If the trade makes their team better then they're doing the right thing aren't they?
They're not realistic players for Love, they never were. He's not re-signing there.
This is a trade that makes Sacto a better team and gives them a proven young power forward next to Cousins with a great work ethic and solid defensive intangibles.
They still get a great pick in a loaded draft.

The main premise of this idea is that Timberwolves fans (not the front office) have attempted to say that by doing a 3 team deal with Chicago and Sacto, they could end up with the #8 pick instead of Sullinger.
I'm saying that they can have
the #6 pick
the#8 pick (from Sacto)
2015 Celtics pick
Jeff Green

instead of Chicago's offer of:

the #8 pick (from Sacto)
Jimmy Butler
Nikola Mirotic

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I actually think that the Rockets have the best potential 'win now' trade for the Wolves.
Something like Asik, Parsons(sign and trade), Lin + future first rounder would be far better than Chicago dumping their role players.

Now that is a deal I'd worry about if I were Ainge.  The Wolves could probably get something for Asik at the trade deadline.  They could convince themselves it gives them a chance to avoid a full on rebuild.  I'm not sure it would because I'm not sure Parsons is more than the third best guy on a good team, but I would guess Flip and ownership might be desperate to avoid bottoming out again.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
If the trade makes their team better then they're doing the right thing aren't they?
They're not realistic players for Love, they never were. He's not re-signing there.
This is a trade that makes Sacto a better team and gives them a proven young power forward next to Cousins with a great work ethic and solid defensive intangibles.

There's a national article that says the opposite. Sacramento will trade anything not named Boogie and won't require Love to sign an extension.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 01:53:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

There's a national article that says the opposite. Sacramento will trade anything not named Boogie and won't require Love to sign an extension.

So who/what do they send that beats our offer?
If their offer didn't beat ours then they'd turn down the chance to get better simply as a show of pride? I don't think so. They'd get on with it and try and improve the team.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 06:48:43 AM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Now that is a deal I'd worry about if I were Ainge.  The Wolves could probably get something for Asik at the trade deadline.  They could convince themselves it gives them a chance to avoid a full on rebuild.  I'm not sure it would because I'm not sure Parsons is more than the third best guy on a good team, but I would guess Flip and ownership might be desperate to avoid bottoming out again.

Mike

Think about the roster that implies next year, even if they threw in say Budinger ($5M) to Houston:

Asik ($15M)
Lin ($15M)
Pekovic ($12M)
Parsons ($10M+)
Martin ($7M)
Barea ($4.5M)
Moute ($4.5M)
Brewer ($5M)
Rubio ($5M)
Shved ($3M)
Muhammad ($2M)
Turiaf ($1.5M)
Dieng ($1.5M)

That's over $85M and paying the luxury tax to probably finish under .500 and miss the playoffs. Awful. Not happening just to get Parsons and a late 1st rounder. Houston lost in the 1st round with James Harden, Dwight Howard, Terrence Jones, Patrick Beverley and all 3 of those guys. At least they only had to pay $17M for them - Minny would be on the hook for $40M for the same players.