Author Topic: Is Flip desperate?  (Read 1206 times)

Is Flip desperate?
« on: June 06, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • Ball Don't Lie!
A lot of people have been saying that Flip has been trying to manufacture buzz about the Kevin Love deal in an attempt to drive up the price. I'm not sure how much I believed it. However, I just saw this article on ESPN and Flip just seems incredibly desperate.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4713197/saunders-16-teams-called-about-love

He tries to say that more than half the league has called him, he has called no one and says Kevin Love didn't go to Boston for basketball reasons. Does he seem desperate to anyone else? Could this mean they're not getting very good offers? Or am I reading into this too much?
"I'm cold-blooded!" - Paul Pierce

Re: Is Flip desperate?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You're reading too much into standard GM-speak.

You might as well say that Flip Saunders looking eastward when told to turn his head and cough at his last doctor's visit is proof that he has Boston on his mind.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Offers won't be their best until the draft. There's posturing going on for sure but he has no choice other then to say what he did.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think the Wolves have done a decent job so far of trying to maximize Love's trade value, actually. Or at least of not sabotaging it.

So many times these situations turn poisonous, and teams end up getting pennies on the dollar for their stars.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Or Love can wait until next season, and pull a LeBron.

Leave Minnesota and get nothing in return. It will be your loss, Flip!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
A lot of people have been saying that Flip has been trying to manufacture buzz about the Kevin Love deal in an attempt to drive up the price. I'm not sure how much I believed it. However, I just saw this article on ESPN and Flip just seems incredibly desperate.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4713197/saunders-16-teams-called-about-love

He tries to say that more than half the league has called him, he has called no one and says Kevin Love didn't go to Boston for basketball reasons. Does he seem desperate to anyone else? Could this mean they're not getting very good offers? Or am I reading into this too much?

This is probably 100% true.  25 year old all stars that average 26 and 12 while shooting 40% from 3 almost never ever come on the market.  I'm actually surprised its only 16 teams.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I don't think Flip is desperate. He's just playing the market as much as possible now. I think him hiring himself as their new coach was the biggest sign they were ready to let Love leave. They weren't about to hire a new coach if the team's roster was about to be turned over. Now they can let Saunders coach temporarily while they find their new direction post-Love, and then hire a coach that fits the direction of the team. To me, Kevin Love is as good as gone. The only thing up in the air right now is who can offer the better return package for Minnesota.