Author Topic: I still would love MKG here  (Read 4393 times)

Re: I still would love MKG here
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was teaching my brother about the 2012 draft, he just got in to basketball. And I showed him how bad MJ was at drafting. So I showed him a bunch of players MJ could have drafted in 2012, and then I brought up mgk stats and compared them to the guys he could have had. Honestly, and I am saying this 100% we both laughed our buts off when we saw his stats.

Now ill admit I have seen little of him and know not too much about his defense. I do remember jordan saying he could be like scotty pippen....i guess that turned out as well as Adam Morrison being Larry Bird hahahahahah

Jordan didn't reach for him. He was projected to go between 2-4. He plays excellent D and has a great motor, so there are a lot of things he does that go beyond the stats. Plus, he's still very young and has a ton of room for growth. He just needs to correct his shot. His mechanics are completely broken.
Gotta agree with Eddie here.

Also, as a piece of advice Future Celtics Owner, if you want to teach your brother something, teach him that you do not judge talent you are going to draft by their college stats. You judge them based on their skills, basketball knowledge, mechanics, athleticism and mental makeup. And under each of those categories you break it down farther and judge those things.

College stats or overseas pro stats mean exactly squat when judging talent you are going to draft into the NBA.

I made the same mistake with MKG that many are making this year with Aaron Gordon. His athleticism and ability to defend with the small amount of offensive skill convinced me his shot could be fixed and that MKG had Pippen like potential. Thing is, fixing a shot, especially for someone who has like 12 years of muscle memory built into shooting the way they do, is a very difficult thing and not everyone can do it. So because of that, sometimes its best just to judge them by the skills they have, not the skills you think you could have if only.........