Author Topic: Why I think the Love trade talks are at a stage of serious negotiation  (Read 19875 times)

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What makes you think that the Bulls offer is better? Convince us that the Bulls package can help the Wolves right now and the future.

6th pick, regardless of who it is, the player will require time
Sullinger - still might need another year to get his body to where it needs to be

If they go with the Bulls trade

Gibson, Butler = instant starters
Mirotic = likely could start

Bulls trade is better. Still a young lineup, guys who have playoffs experience, better team defense and a real hot looking prospect in mirotic

Maybe, but to paraphrase Family Guy, a boat's a boat, but a draft pick could be anything!  It could even be a boat!

...don't put that kind of thinking past Minnesota's management.  They've gotta be getting pretty desperate to put any kind of promising team together.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What makes you think that the Bulls offer is better? Convince us that the Bulls package can help the Wolves right now and the future.

Sullinger - still might need another year to get his body to where it needs to be

Lineup

Pekovic
Gibson
Mirotic
Butler
Rubio

Bench

Brewer
Dieng
Martin(if not traded)

Better defensive team vs just having Love.  Mirotic could be a real good one.  13th and bulls pick could be combined to get the 7th or 8th pick .  Draft one of Vonleh, Smart, Gordon. Playoffs is a possibility with this lineup

VS

Pekovic
Sullinger
? (6th pick)
? (6th pick)
Rubio

Bench

Martin
Dieng
Brewer

playoffs out of the question. Actually Pek and Rubio will prob have to be traded. Dreaded rebuild starts again

Bulls trade is better. Still a young lineup, guys who have playoffs experience, better team defense and a real hot looking prospect in mirotic

A "hot prospect" that's never played a game in the nba and some average(ish) players, not a star among them. If that was my team's roster that they passed up draft picks to assemble I'd probably puke.

i thought you weren't big on the 6th pick. And what does 2 future 1st picks if Rondo and Love combine (playoffs) do anything for them??

Butler and Gibson are not average players. Average is Matt Barnes.  Butler is one of the best defenders for his position in the league. Gibson is a above avg pf

Mirotic has been considered by many to have a game that resembles nowitzki's. His height and shooting skills alone should make him a dangerous player on the court

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
But Gibson is 29 years old, Butler is projected to be nothing more than a good player and Mitrolic may not come to America. How do you know that the wolves can turn their pick and the Bulls pick into the eighth pick when they acquire the sixth pick?

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Yo @kevinlove I'm sitting in Minnesota right now and all I can think is one thing..This place absolutely sucks & u should prob leave

Crew ainge

Danny is not going to like this

Did anyone see this

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yo @kevinlove I'm sitting in Minnesota right now and all I can think is one thing..This place absolutely sucks & u should prob leave

Crew ainge

Did anyone see this

It's probably nobody......

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Maybe, but to paraphrase Family Guy, a boat's a boat, but a draft pick could be anything!  It could even be a boat!

...don't put that kind of thinking past Minnesota's management.  They've gotta be getting pretty desperate to put any kind of promising team together.
Also if they make a trade with us they will automatically be in tank mode. The way the league shakes out nowadays they will be the new Cleveland and get rewarded for losing Love w/ a top 3 pick the following year. No brainer.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If you strike out on Love do you go up to Memphis and offer basically the same deal for Marc Gasol? Pau is a free agent and would probably sign here if we got his brother.

Rondo plus the Gasol brothers :)

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
If you strike out on Love do you go up to Memphis and offer basically the same deal for Marc Gasol? Pau is a free agent and would probably sign here if we got his brother.

Rondo plus the Gasol brothers :)
i actually like the idea.  ;D we still need a go to scorer doe...

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Lineup

Pekovic
Gibson
Mirotic
Butler
Rubio

Bench

Brewer
Dieng
Martin(if not traded)

Better defensive team vs just having Love.  Mirotic could be a real good one.  13th and bulls pick could be combined to get the 7th or 8th pick .  Draft one of Vonleh, Smart, Gordon. Playoffs is a possibility with this lineup

VS

Pekovic
Sullinger
? (6th pick)
? (6th pick)
Rubio

Bench

Martin
Dieng
Brewer

playoffs out of the question. Actually Pek and Rubio will prob have to be traded. Dreaded rebuild starts again

A "hot prospect" that's never played a game in the nba and some average(ish) players, not a star among them. If that was my team's roster that they passed up draft picks to assemble I'd probably puke.

i thought you weren't big on the 6th pick. And what does 2 future 1st picks if Rondo and Love combine (playoffs) do anything for them??

Butler and Gibson are not average players. Average is Matt Barnes.  Butler is one of the best defenders for his position in the league. Gibson is a above avg pf

Mirotic has been considered by many to have a game that resembles nowitzki's. His height and shooting skills alone should make him a dangerous player on the court

Butler and Gibson might be a little above average, but neither of them are that young and neither of them are stars. We could offer them a future Brooklyn pick. And if they get picks and young players instead of average(ish) vets they'll be worse for the next year or two so their own picks will be a lot better.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Also if they make a trade with us they will automatically be in tank mode. The way the league shakes out nowadays they will be the new Cleveland and get rewarded for losing Love w/ a top 3 pick the following year. No brainer.

Agreed.  It's too bad we don't have their pick to trade them back like we did with KG.

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
In my mind, there really is no argument here: the Celtics far and away have the best package to offer and its up to Minnesota to posture them into giving up more. Compared to the other rumored teams, I don't think its close.

Bulls: Gibson, Butler, late (very late) first rounders. Gibson and Gibson are nice players, sure, but lets be real here - they aren't leading anyone to the playoffs in the west, however, they are good enough to lead you right into NBA purgatory and get right outside the playoffs.

The goal for the Wolves is to get assets that can turn into stars, they need them, we already know Gibson and Butler are never going to be stars. Sullinger, the jury is still out but he looks like he could project into an 18/10 or 20/10 fringe all-star. The draft is also deep enough this year where they could get a potential star right away. Damian Lillard was the 6th pick, didn't take him long to turn into a star did it? Whose to say a guy like Marcus Smart doesn't become the same kind of player, hes got the talent. Add that to the litany of draft picks and cap room we can offer them.

Point is, outside of the Cavs offering the first pick. The Wolves would be stupid to not take the Celtics offer, this is the Wolves were talking here though.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Lineup

Pekovic
Gibson
Mirotic
Butler
Rubio

Bench

Brewer
Dieng
Martin(if not traded)

VS

Pekovic
Sullinger
? (6th pick)
? (6th pick)
Rubio

Bench

Martin
Dieng
Brewer

Where do you start with all that's wrong here?

That lineup from the Bulls trade won't even sniff the playoffs in the West.  I'm not sur it could even make the playoffs in the East.

Why would anyone give up the 7th or 8th for two picks in the teens?  Is Orlando trading the 4th for the 6th and 17th?

The Wolves will get more than just Sully, either players or immediate salary cap relief.  They would also get at least one more future pick from Boston, and if it's a Nets pick it could be in the lottery.

Boston's offer is clearly better than Chicago's.  Now, Minny could take a deal they think keeps them competitive short term at the expense of long-term assets but it's not going to be that lame Bulls' package.

Mike

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Also, might as well put 2-and-2 together... Wolves aren't enamoured with Boston's package...likely because they don't think there is a star to be had with the #6 pick.  Perhaps Danny is exploring trading up, because he knows he's not getting kevin love without a Top 4 pick.  Unfortunately... as explained above... pretty unliikely we'll get a Top 4 pick.  Which means it's pretty unlikely we get Kevin Love unless the Wolves decide to settle for taking Boston's middling assets.

The thing is, I seriously doubt Love wants to go to any of the teams with a top 4 pick this year. Meaning, he'll make it known if one of those teams does trade for him, he will likely leave them with nothing.

Minny isn't likely in a position to get a top 4 pick for Love unless one of those teams does something stupid.
Lot of folks looking at this situation with green-tinted Celtic goggles on and assuming the Wolves would want draft picks.  Just as likely they want established players like David Lee/Klay Thompson ... or Chandler Parsons + Terrence Jones... Who knows.  It's not "draft picks or bust".  They'll have options.

I'm not sure why Minny's goal would be to give up future draft picks in order to fight to get to the 8th seed with a veteran team who's best player is Klay Thompson. What's the short term/long term diagnosis for that team?

Bc its better then to sukk again. Minny like love just want to taste the playoffs again. Its the 1st step

Thompson, lee were a big reason why gsw made it to the playoffs. Same with gibson, butler and with the bulls

You add barnes , mirotoc, 1st picks and these teams should win the trade game

If you were the wolves you really rather have the 6th, sullinger, go through the pain to trade pekovic, rubio, martin?? Fans r going to be pizzed off

The wolves gm said the team will be at a better state if the love traded not go backwards

Thompson is a good player, Lee is a good player, but IF the Warriors gave up Thompson (which the reports said they won't do), he's a restricted free agent in a year's time anyway, so the Wolves must match other offers to keep him and thus over pay for him. David Lee is okay but he's just a poor man's Love.

What makes David Lee or Taj Gibson more appealing than Jarred Sullinger?
Their numbers are very similar, Sully is the best rebounder of the 3 and Gibson is a slightly better defender than Sullinger.

The Wolves getting Gibson, Mirotic and Butler is giving them 3 role players. Nothing but great role players. The Wolves getting David Lee +whoever gets them a poor man's Love who makes the same amount as Kevin Love. He also has 2 seasons on his contract and then he walks. Is David Lee leading them into the playoffs with Ricky Rubio if Love couldnt?

What about the Wolves getting:

#6 pick Aaron Gordon+
Jarred Sullinger (averaged 17.3 points and 10.6 rebounds per 36 minutes last season)
#17 pick with Krtsaps Poringis +
Brandon Bass +
Brooklyn pick 2016 (who knows how good this could be)

How much does Flip have to work with there?
The beauty is they can take whoever they want for themselves with the pick.
Rubio is young, Dieng is young. They have time.
They can move Pekovic for a nice pick around 15-20 in most drafts and can grow a young solid team with a young point guard leader in Rubio.

Role players or potential All Stars? What would you choose?
They can take Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Noah Vonleh, Dario Saric....
All those guys have the potential to be All Stars.
The only guy from either the GSW or Bulls trade pieces that's an All Star or even close is David Lee and I think everyone would agree he's a terrible All Star selection.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Crew ainge

I didn't see that one. Must of been deleted.

I did see this one retweeted:

@DavidOrtiz
Yo @kevinlove if you need advice on moving from Minnesota to Boston just let me know #CityOfChamps

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Crew ainge

Did anyone see this

It's probably nobody......

Whose twitter handle was it BTW?
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;