Author Topic: Why I think the Love trade talks are at a stage of serious negotiation  (Read 19884 times)

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
People aren't looking a green tinted glasses. They can make those moves with say the Warriors or the Rockets. But Parsons would be the main part of the deal and he will bolt. Same with someone like Klay Thompson. At least with Draft picks you try and sell these guys on staying and building something because they are young.

They can match klay.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Also, might as well put 2-and-2 together... Wolves aren't enamoured with Boston's package...likely because they don't think there is a star to be had with the #6 pick.  Perhaps Danny is exploring trading up, because he knows he's not getting kevin love without a Top 4 pick.  Unfortunately... as explained above... pretty unliikely we'll get a Top 4 pick.  Which means it's pretty unlikely we get Kevin Love unless the Wolves decide to settle for taking Boston's middling assets.

The thing is, I seriously doubt Love wants to go to any of the teams with a top 4 pick this year. Meaning, he'll make it known if one of those teams does trade for him, he will likely leave them with nothing.

Minny isn't likely in a position to get a top 4 pick for Love unless one of those teams does something stupid.
Lot of folks looking at this situation with green-tinted Celtic goggles on and assuming the Wolves would want draft picks.  Just as likely they want established players like David Lee/Klay Thompson ... or Chandler Parsons + Terrence Jones... Who knows.  It's not "draft picks or bust".  They'll have options.

it is though. the established players they acquire is essentially a sideways move for them. it puts them no closer to the playoffs and likely in the middle of the pack, just out of a potential high lottery pick. and on top of that without the picks they could get from us.

they're better off with our deal. accepting a complete rebuild, embracing being a lottery team. with our picks they could potentially do what we're attempting to do this yr. with our picks/assets.

accepting an offer from the bulls, GS, Hou, or whoever is worse for them and will lead to them being the next clippers...if they're not there already.

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I think it's kinda funny people still believe it matters what other teams can offer. Just think back to "The Decision", when Lebron joined the Heat. Do you believe they were waiting until free agency officially opened? "Oh my God, the Heat are offering me a max contract, I'll have to think about that one".

Somewhere in there is a "choose-your-own-adventure" story...

Option 1) The Wolves do not trade Love
What will happen: Love will opt out of his contract and join a team of his choice through FA.
Who won the powerplay? The Wolves
Winners: Love's new team
Losers: Love, who has to wait a year. The Wolves, who get nothing in return

Option 2) Love gets traded to the Celtics
What will happen: The Timberwolves get draft picks for their rebuild. Kevin Love will sign an extension.
Who won the powerplay? Kevin Love
Winners: Love, the Celtics
Losers: The Wolves, who get a bunch of draft picks/young players in return

Option 3) The Wolves take the offer of a winning franchise
What will happen: Love's new team will contact him, try to convince him to sign an extension. Love will sign the extension.
Winners: Kevin Love, his new team

Option 4) The Wolves get a good offer by a perennial losing franchise
What will happen: Love's potential new team will contact him, try to convince him to sign an extension. Love will wait until his contract expires. The deal is off. --->Back to option 1
Who won the powerplay? Nobody
Winners: Nobody
Losers: Everyone

Look at the losers. The Wolves will lose anyway, even if they win the powerplay. Compare them, where will they lose the least? Think about the quality of the rumoured offers. Bring it together with the events of the past week, Love's public visit, and Saunders' specifically attacking "Boston fans".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:34:38 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think it's kinda funny people still believe it matters what other teams can offer. Just think back to "The Decision", when Lebron joined the Heat. Do you believe they were waiting until free agency officially opened? "Oh my God, the Heat are offering me a max contract, I'll have to think about that one".

What will happen: Love will opt out of his contract and join a team of his choice through FA.

What will happen: The Timberwolves get draft picks for their rebuild. Kevin Love will sign an extension.

What will happen: Love's new team will contact him, try to convince him to sign an extension. Love will sign the extension.

What will happen: Love's potential new team will contact him, try to convince him to sign an extension. Love will wait until his contract expires. The deal is off. --->Back to option 1

Look at the losers. The Wolves will lose anyway, even if they win the powerplay. Compare them, where will they lose the least? Think about the quality of the rumoured offers. Bring it together with the events of the past week, Love's public visit, and Saunders' specifically attacking "Boston fans".

While I agree with some of your winners and losers, I don't think just because its the logical thing to do that the Wolves will trade him, especially to us. Saunders is rumored to still have ill feelings for Ainge.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think the Twolves loose on this one big time.  Getting nothing for him is a huge loss.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think you may have reduced it beyond its usefulness as an exercise but in terms of just laying it out there, I think this is a nice summary of why we're still in this, and likely still leading.

While I agree with some of your winners and losers, I don't think just because its the logical thing to do that the Wolves will trade him, especially to us. Saunders is rumored to still have ill feelings for Ainge.

Wouldn't worry about it. These things get blown out of proportion, unless it involves a girl.
I

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Boston could get hit with some serious tampering charges if this wasn't in a stage of serious negotiations. You don't bring your agent to Boston just to have drinks. Love easily could have said to the reporter that he was on vacation or visiting his great grandmother or an ex girlfriend or something...instead he said something along the lines of "I can't discuss this". So what happened? Either Taylor wants more because of the KG trade or the NBA put the hammer down on everyone involved for taking attention away from the NBA Finals.
At the very least, Love would have been giving the city of Boston a chance.

Love can't discuss much because he is under contract. I do not believe that Love would be flown in for a face to face at this point. As soon as the finals are over, I expect Minny to give him permission to visit potential trade partners if they think that such meetings would get teams to agree to better packages. For now, I see Love just trying to see where he feels comfortable spending most of his time and possibly all of his prime basketball years.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Also, might as well put 2-and-2 together... Wolves aren't enamoured with Boston's package...likely because they don't think there is a star to be had with the #6 pick.  Perhaps Danny is exploring trading up, because he knows he's not getting kevin love without a Top 4 pick.  Unfortunately... as explained above... pretty unliikely we'll get a Top 4 pick.  Which means it's pretty unlikely we get Kevin Love unless the Wolves decide to settle for taking Boston's middling assets.

The thing is, I seriously doubt Love wants to go to any of the teams with a top 4 pick this year. Meaning, he'll make it known if one of those teams does trade for him, he will likely leave them with nothing.

Minny isn't likely in a position to get a top 4 pick for Love unless one of those teams does something stupid.
Lot of folks looking at this situation with green-tinted Celtic goggles on and assuming the Wolves would want draft picks.  Just as likely they want established players like David Lee/Klay Thompson ... or Chandler Parsons + Terrence Jones... Who knows.  It's not "draft picks or bust".  They'll have options.

I'm not sure why Minny's goal would be to give up future draft picks in order to fight to get to the 8th seed with a veteran team who's best player is Klay Thompson. What's the short term/long term diagnosis for that team?

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Besides they're in the West. Unless Klay has Harden like season, no way the Wolves make the playoffs.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I'm not sure why Minny's goal would be to give up future draft picks in order to fight to get to the 8th seed with a veteran team who's best player is Klay Thompson. What's the short term/long term diagnosis for that team?

Bc its better then to sukk again. Minny like love just want to taste the playoffs again. Its the 1st step

Thompson, lee were a big reason why gsw made it to the playoffs. Same with gibson, butler and with the bulls

You add barnes , mirotoc, 1st picks and these teams should win the trade game

If you were the wolves you really rather have the 6th, sullinger, go through the pain to trade pekovic, rubio, martin?? Fans r going to be pizzed off

The wolves gm said the team will be at a better state if the love traded not go backwards

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Bc its better then to sukk again. Minny like love just want to taste the playoffs again. Its the 1st step

Thompson, lee were a big reason why gsw made it to the playoffs. Same with gibson, butler.

You add barnes , mirotoc, 1st picks and these teams should win the trade game

If you were the wolves you really rather have the 6th, sullinger, go through the pain to trade pekovic, rubio, martin?? Fans r going to be pizzed off

The gm said the team will be at a better state after the love trade. I believe this

The fans are already mad at the incompetence of the Wolves office . The reason why the Bulls made the playoffs was because of Thibs and Jokaim Noah and for the Warriors, Steph Curry lead them. The front office messed up on Love and now is time to rebuild.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Publicly the Wolves are saying they are holding onto Love... and something to the extent of, "if we trade Love, you better believe we'll be a better team afterwards" which suggests they want a collection of players who could contribute. 

I do agree that Boston has theoretically one of the best offers... but who knows.  We don't know what the Wolves want or what teams are offering.  Maybe the Wolves have no interest in rebuilding again... maybe they'd rather just trot out a veteran lineup that can make the 8th seed.  They'll have plenty of options leading up to the trade deadline.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
If the Wolves hold on to Love, he'll bolt and they won't get value for him. It's better to deal him now, and leave the drama behind.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the Wolves hold on to Love, he'll bolt and they won't get value for him. It's better to deal him now, and leave the drama behind.

Yeah but he is under contract for next season. Wolves have until feb 2015 to trade him

look at the Rockets with Asik. They couldn't get the deal they wanted for him , dealt with his whinning and will get another chance to deal him this summer. If not they will wait again until the trade deadline
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:43:56 PM by triboy16f »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, IDK what "green tinted goggles" have to do with my statement. I was simply stating it would be foolish for any of the teams with top picks this year to trade for Love because they suck and Love will leave them when he becomes a FA.

I have no idea what Minny wants. Minny hasn't had competent management in years, so it's hard to say what those knuckleheads are thinking.