Author Topic: Why I think the Love trade talks are at a stage of serious negotiation  (Read 19881 times)

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Sacremento could put up a pretty intriguingoffer of Isaih Thomas, Ben Mcclemore, the 8th pick and filler for Love...They already have Rubio as they're PG but thats not a horrible offer.

Isiah is an RFA, he has to agree to go to Minny - I don't think he agrees to be Rubio's back up.

True, I guess we still have a better offer than Sac.

Bulls and GSW all have decent packages too and he'd probably resign there.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Boston could get hit with some serious tampering charges if this wasn't in a stage of serious negotiations. You don't bring your agent to Boston just to have drinks. Love easily could have said to the reporter that he was on vacation or visiting his great grandmother or an ex girlfriend or something...instead he said something along the lines of "I can't discuss this". So what happened? Either Taylor wants more because of the KG trade or the NBA put the hammer down on everyone involved for taking attention away from the NBA Finals.

It's not tampering for Love to check out a city he'd like to play in, and since his agent knows Boston well it makes sense for him to arrange it and show him a good time.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think this game of Chess is starting to heat up. Why? Well...

*Love has visited Boston (with his agent). Something triggered this- probably his agent as a powerplay to show the Wolves they'll drag them through the mud if they don't get moving- and that Boston is the team he wants to go to.

*The Wolves have now said that the Celtics package 'isn't as enticing as other offers'.
In other words, the Wolves want more. Standard negotiation tactic to feed Jackie McMullan this information from both sides so it gets into the public as they try to increase their own gain (as a trade actually happening gets closer).
We know Danny's a complete tight-ass with his assets. So if an offer has been made or thrown out there, it's been a real low ball as he tries to use Love's visit as leverage to feel Flip Saunders out.
The Wolves have also used the owner excuse as if the Wolves owner Taylor is somehow worried about the negative effect the last big trade the two franchises made, had on his team.
More leveraging on their part.

*Today we've gotten the news that Danny is looking to potentially move up the draft with our assets as a way of keeping his options open.

* The same 'sources' have suggested that he's been getting calls from other teams to move up and trade for our pick and the Celtics are preparing in case they end up having to draft now and explore trades after draft night.

*The pressure is being ramped up, with the Wolves spitting out the 'not good enough' outcry and Danny counter punching by 'exploring ways to move up in the draft' ( a way of saying our assets are good enough to make a trade for a top 3 pick in this draft but the Wolves dare to suggest that what Danny's offering for Love isn't fair enough for Love).

*Draft night is 20 days away and if the Wolves want to pick their own guy, something must be done sooner than later. Danny also doesn't want to lose the value of the 'fantasy' surrounding the #6 pick. Sure it's not a top 3 pick, but there are still quite a few guys available that could be All Stars and if Minny likes the look of one, but can't manage to do the trade by draft night, then Danny loses a lot of muscle.

I believe Danny has the advantage ultimately because he's probably had some assurance that Love will re-sign in Boston and he isn't worried about fantasy scenario trades between Cleveland or Sacramento that the T Wolves have been shouting about.

Now is Danny's time to shine.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2085692-why-minnesota-timberwolves-should-trade-kevin-love-before-2014-nba-draft
Well, I think it's a no-brainer that Danny would look to trade up.  I'm sure he looked to trade up the second he got stuck with the #6 pick... seeing as there is a significant drop-off after the Top 4 picks.

Whether or not any of those teams would give up their superstar ticket for a package of duds remains to be seen.  Seems pretty unlikely.

Also, might as well put 2-and-2 together... Wolves aren't enamoured with Boston's package...likely because they don't think there is a star to be had with the #6 pick.  Perhaps Danny is exploring trading up, because he knows he's not getting kevin love without a Top 4 pick.  Unfortunately... as explained above... pretty unliikely we'll get a Top 4 pick.  Which means it's pretty unlikely we get Kevin Love unless the Wolves decide to settle for taking Boston's middling assets.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
There's another way to read the tea leaves: Ainge is moving up from #6 because Minnesota is saying they need the #4 in return for Love.
I think this is exactly what's happening. Thats what the wolves want into the top 4 for Love, none of those teams will do it because he doesn't want to be there, so in we come to try and make things work knowing Love would opt in for another year.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
With Sully, Olynyk, #6, and immediate cap/salary relief, I'd have to believe the C's have the best package to put together.

And I could see a team wanting to take both Sully and KO given some of their work together, and then the #6 pick to select a player to go with them and Rubio.

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Sacremento could put up a pretty intriguingoffer of Isaih Thomas, Ben Mcclemore, the 8th pick and filler for Love...They already have Rubio as they're PG but thats not a horrible offer.

Isiah is an RFA, he has to agree to go to Minny - I don't think he agrees to be Rubio's back up.

True, I guess we still have a better offer than Sac.

Bulls and GSW all have decent packages too and he'd probably resign there.
GSW to make the numbers work would almost have to include Lee and unless Barnes and Thompson are included I don't think Minnesota wants any part of him.  The Bulls would have to include both Gibson and Butler ( and then throw in Boozer for his expiring contract). 

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Also, might as well put 2-and-2 together... Wolves aren't enamoured with Boston's package...likely because they don't think there is a star to be had with the #6 pick.  Perhaps Danny is exploring trading up, because he knows he's not getting kevin love without a Top 4 pick.  Unfortunately... as explained above... pretty unliikely we'll get a Top 4 pick.  Which means it's pretty unlikely we get Kevin Love unless the Wolves decide to settle for taking Boston's middling assets.

The thing is, I seriously doubt Love wants to go to any of the teams with a top 4 pick this year. Meaning, he'll make it known if one of those teams does trade for him, he will likely leave them with nothing.

Minny isn't likely in a position to get a top 4 pick for Love unless one of those teams does something stupid.

Offline Gari

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
I think this game of Chess is starting to heat up. Why? Well...

*Love has visited Boston (with his agent). Something triggered this- probably his agent as a powerplay to show the Wolves they'll drag them through the mud if they don't get moving- and that Boston is the team he wants to go to.

*The Wolves have now said that the Celtics package 'isn't as enticing as other offers'.
In other words, the Wolves want more. Standard negotiation tactic to feed Jackie McMullan this information from both sides so it gets into the public as they try to increase their own gain (as a trade actually happening gets closer).
We know Danny's a complete tight-ass with his assets. So if an offer has been made or thrown out there, it's been a real low ball as he tries to use Love's visit as leverage to feel Flip Saunders out.
The Wolves have also used the owner excuse as if the Wolves owner Taylor is somehow worried about the negative effect the last big trade the two franchises made, had on his team.
More leveraging on their part.

*Today we've gotten the news that Danny is looking to potentially move up the draft with our assets as a way of keeping his options open.

* The same 'sources' have suggested that he's been getting calls from other teams to move up and trade for our pick and the Celtics are preparing in case they end up having to draft now and explore trades after draft night.

*The pressure is being ramped up, with the Wolves spitting out the 'not good enough' outcry and Danny counter punching by 'exploring ways to move up in the draft' ( a way of saying our assets are good enough to make a trade for a top 3 pick in this draft but the Wolves dare to suggest that what Danny's offering for Love isn't fair enough for Love).

*Draft night is 20 days away and if the Wolves want to pick their own guy, something must be done sooner than later. Danny also doesn't want to lose the value of the 'fantasy' surrounding the #6 pick. Sure it's not a top 3 pick, but there are still quite a few guys available that could be All Stars and if Minny likes the look of one, but can't manage to do the trade by draft night, then Danny loses a lot of muscle.

I believe Danny has the advantage ultimately because he's probably had some assurance that Love will re-sign in Boston and he isn't worried about fantasy scenario trades between Cleveland or Sacramento that the T Wolves have been shouting about.

Now is Danny's time to shine.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2085692-why-minnesota-timberwolves-should-trade-kevin-love-before-2014-nba-draft
TP for you! Good read of their smokescreens.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think the belief that we are still in the driver's seat for Love is still correct. David Lee is 31 which poisons the GSW offer. Taj Gibson is 28 and is signed thru 2017. Jimmy Butler shot 39% last year and 28% from three. Chicago's picks are also mediocre (16 and 19). Not a great deal. I guess Houston could offer Lin and Asik with both contracts expiring at the end of next year and Parsons in a sign and trade ( I assume that would be legal but someone can correct me if I'm wrong).  Houston picks 25th this year and future picks will be just as bad. Better deal than the other two but not great. If the Wolves must finish in the top 12 of next year's lottery to retain the pick, then a deal with the Celtics makes even more sense. Bring in a bunch of young players (Sullinger, Olynick, picks 6,13,17 in a talent rich draft, expiring and nonguaranteed contracts) and finish deep in the lottery for a good pick next year too. This would be the logical way for the Wolves to move forward. The only problem I see is now that Saunders is the coach, he just might get stubborn, and when you get stubborn you usually make poor decisions that are not in your best interest. Let's hope that he"s realistic about his situation.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
With Sully, Olynyk, #6, and immediate cap/salary relief, I'd have to believe the C's have the best package to put together.

And I could see a team wanting to take both Sully and KO given some of their work together, and then the #6 pick to select a player to go with them and Rubio.

I think the C's do ultimately have the best package to offer.  I don't think it's the Sully + Olynyk scenario though.

The two keys are Jeff Green and the unprotected first round picks from the Nets.  Everybody knows the value of the 6th overall pick.  What does Minnesota think of Green ?  & what kind of value does the 2016 Net's first rounder hold for Minnesota ?

I think Flip easily takes the package of:

Sully
Green
6th overall
One of the unprotected First Rounders from the Nets (i.e. 2016 first rounder)

That's easily the best offer by far, & a lot to give up to be honest.  It's worth it though and with the amount of assets your GM has landed, you pull the trigger on that all day.

Ainge really has this thing setup very nicely for our team going forward.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The thing is, I seriously doubt Love wants to go to any of the teams with a top 4 pick this year. Meaning, he'll make it known if one of those teams does trade for him, he will likely leave them with nothing.

Minny isn't likely in a position to get a top 4 pick for Love unless one of those teams does something stupid.
Lot of folks looking at this situation with green-tinted Celtic goggles on and assuming the Wolves would want draft picks.  Just as likely they want established players like David Lee/Klay Thompson ... or Chandler Parsons + Terrence Jones... Who knows.  It's not "draft picks or bust".  They'll have options.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Lot of folks looking at this situation with green-tinted Celtic goggles on and assuming the Wolves would want draft picks.  Just as likely they want established players like David Lee/Klay Thompson ... or Chandler Parsons + Terrence Jones... Who knows.  It's not "draft picks or bust".  They'll have options.

Well that's the million dollar question.  How do they value the picks ?  With Ainge landing 1000 first rounders, and with most of them unprotected, he has to gauge just how valuable some of those are to the Wolves.

#6 and some of those unprotected Net's picks have to be pretty darn valuable.  Any first rounder that is unprotected in this league can go a long way.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Or Jeff Green + Jared Sullinger, which are every bit as established as Parsons and Jones. And they can be had with a bonus draft pick.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Bass could be on the block as well.

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
People aren't looking a green tinted glasses. They can make those moves with say the Warriors or the Rockets. But Parsons would be the main part of the deal and he will bolt. Same with someone like Klay Thompson. At least with Draft picks you try and sell these guys on staying and building something because they are young.