Author Topic: Why I think the Love trade talks are at a stage of serious negotiation  (Read 19872 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think this game of Chess is starting to heat up. Why? Well...

*Love has visited Boston (with his agent). Something triggered this- probably his agent as a powerplay to show the Wolves they'll drag them through the mud if they don't get moving- and that Boston is the team he wants to go to.

*The Wolves have now said that the Celtics package 'isn't as enticing as other offers'.
In other words, the Wolves want more. Standard negotiation tactic to feed Jackie McMullan this information from both sides so it gets into the public as they try to increase their own gain (as a trade actually happening gets closer).
We know Danny's a complete tight-ass with his assets. So if an offer has been made or thrown out there, it's been a real low ball as he tries to use Love's visit as leverage to feel Flip Saunders out.
The Wolves have also used the owner excuse as if the Wolves owner Taylor is somehow worried about the negative effect the last big trade the two franchises made, had on his team.
More leveraging on their part.

*Today we've gotten the news that Danny is looking to potentially move up the draft with our assets as a way of keeping his options open.

* The same 'sources' have suggested that he's been getting calls from other teams to move up and trade for our pick and the Celtics are preparing in case they end up having to draft now and explore trades after draft night.

*The pressure is being ramped up, with the Wolves spitting out the 'not good enough' outcry and Danny counter punching by 'exploring ways to move up in the draft' ( a way of saying our assets are good enough to make a trade for a top 3 pick in this draft but the Wolves dare to suggest that what Danny's offering for Love isn't fair enough for Love).

*Draft night is 20 days away and if the Wolves want to pick their own guy, something must be done sooner than later. Danny also doesn't want to lose the value of the 'fantasy' surrounding the #6 pick. Sure it's not a top 3 pick, but there are still quite a few guys available that could be All Stars and if Minny likes the look of one, but can't manage to do the trade by draft night, then Danny loses a lot of muscle.

I believe Danny has the advantage ultimately because he's probably had some assurance that Love will re-sign in Boston and he isn't worried about fantasy scenario trades between Cleveland or Sacramento that the T Wolves have been shouting about.

Now is Danny's time to shine.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2085692-why-minnesota-timberwolves-should-trade-kevin-love-before-2014-nba-draft

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:44:52 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
yup! I was about to start a thread on exactly everything you just said. agree with everything.

I believe we are in the drivers seat as far as other teams are concerned. and we should be, any deal with other teams is a sideways move as the most they will get in return are role players...good role players but role players none the less. Minn. needs to completely rebuild weather they realize it or not, weather they or their fans want to or not. acquiring role players from GS, Chi, Hou. is not going to get it done. no matter what they do they are going to be in the lottery next yr.

what Minn. and their fans have to ask themselves is would you rather be in the lottery not bad enough to get a top 5 pick and not have multiple picks? or would you rather be in the lottery with a chance to get a top 5 pick and have multiple draft picks to go along with that?

it's times like this that I wish danny was able to work for both sides. cuz I could see Minny messing this up for themselves.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

*Love has visited Boston (with his agent). Something triggered this- probably his agent as a powerplay to show the Wolves they'll drag them through the mud if they don't get moving- and that Boston is the team he wants to go to.

*The Wolves have now said that the Celtics package 'isn't as enticing as other offers'.
In other words, the Wolves want more. Standard negotiation tactic to feed Jackie McMullan this information from both sides so it gets into the public as they try to increase their own gain (as a trade actually happening gets closer).
We know Danny's a complete tight-ass with his assets. So if an offer has been made or thrown out there, it's been a real low ball as he tries to use Love's visit as leverage to feel Flip Saunders out.
The Wolves have also used the owner excuse as if the Wolves owner Taylor is somehow worried about the negative effect the last big trade the two franchises made, had on his team.

*Today we've gotten the news that Danny is looking to potentially move up the draft with our assets as a way of keeping his options open.

* The same 'sources' have suggested that he's been getting calls from other teams to move up and trade for our pick and the Celtics are preparing in case they end up having to draft now and explore trades after draft night.

*The pressure is being ramped up, with the Wolves spitting out the 'not good enough' outcry and Danny counter punching by 'exploring ways to move up in the draft' ( a way of saying our assets are good enough to make a trade for a top 3 pick in this draft but the Wolves dare to suggest that what Danny's offering for Love isn't fair enough for Love).

*Draft night is 20 days away and if the Wolves want to pick their own guy, something must be done sooner than later. Danny also doesn't want to lose the value of the 'fantasy' surrounding the #6 pick. Sure it's not a top 3 pick, but there are still quite a few guys available that could be All Stars and if Minny likes the look of one, but can't manage to do the trade by draft night, then Danny loses a lot of muscle.

I believe Danny has the advantage ultimately because he's probably had some assurance that Love will re-sign in Boston and he isn't worried about fantasy scenario trades between Cleveland or Sacramento that the T Wolves have been shouting about.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2085692-why-minnesota-timberwolves-should-trade-kevin-love-before-2014-nba-draft

TP for a great post. I don't 100% agree with all your speculations, but I have had many of the same ones over the past few days and just not articulated them.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
There's another way to read the tea leaves: Ainge is moving up from #6 because Minnesota is saying they need the #4 in return for Love.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I get the sense that the parts are definitely moving and things are happening. 

It's just a matter of whether it will work out or fall apart.  I don't think we'll know for sure until draft day.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
There's another way to read the tea leaves: Ainge is moving up from #6 because Minnesota is saying they need the #4 in return for Love.

I thought about this as well but I don't think Danny needs to move up to still have the best offer on the table. Could be the case though.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline SmoothTsunami

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think this is all spot on, or at least close to sifting through the GM posturing. The reports that keep saying a different team in the lead, or that the C's young assets aren't appealing, make me think that Flip doth protest too much. Put together, it seems like the message is "more, Danny."

I was worried we might not have a shot when these first came out, but now it looks like it could very well indicate the Wolves know the C's can put together the best package. I just hope Danny doesn't play chicken too hard, and throw a workable deal off the tracks. I am not worried that he will 'lose' a trade, so much as he won't make a trade he won't clearly win that would still be good for us.

To me, the talk about moving up is more to reinflate the value of #6 than to actually move up--though if the right deal happens to be there, we'll jump.

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Boston could get hit with some serious tampering charges if this wasn't in a stage of serious negotiations. You don't bring your agent to Boston just to have drinks. Love easily could have said to the reporter that he was on vacation or visiting his great grandmother or an ex girlfriend or something...instead he said something along the lines of "I can't discuss this". So what happened? Either Taylor wants more because of the KG trade or the NBA put the hammer down on everyone involved for taking attention away from the NBA Finals.

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
It's a game of poker right now.  Who's bluffing and stuff.  Minnesota says they have better offers than the Celts and the Celtics appear to move on a little. 

You have to have contingency plans in place just in case but this also serves as a way to show Minnesota that we have other options.  I do think that whatever our offer is it will have to be increased prior to a deal getting done...

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the talk of "the celts trying to move up" is just that. talk. it's part of the posturing going back and fourth between the 2 teams.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Great Post Chambers.

I'd add two major things in play...

Ainge's relationship with two parties heavily involved.  Love's agent, Jeff Schwartz & the now head coach of the Wolves, Flip Saunders.

Schwartz and Ainge have a strong relationship and a good working history (Pierce's agent, Net's deal, etc.).  You spoke about the Boston visit being because of Love's agent, and I think you hit it spot on.  Ainge knows that he can re-up this man, & just has to sell him on the city, team, and the plan.

Ainge hired Flip, so one would assume this relationship is still intact.  I'm not sure how great it is, but still.

Our GM definitely has all his ducks in a row, and as you stated, it's 'his time to shine'.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Sacremento could put up a pretty intriguingoffer of Isaih Thomas, Ben Mcclemore, the 8th pick and filler for Love...They already have Rubio as they're PG but thats not a horrible offer.

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Like you i think it's serious. If it's about the best offer there's 4 teams, i think, who will land him but only three teams he will resign with. Assuming gsw won't give Klay Thompson & the lakers don't have enough to give we'll still have a chance. I see us, the rockets & the bulls being the top three teams able to get him. Moving up in the draft will make our offer better than othets imo. Let's just see what DA will do.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Sacremento could put up a pretty intriguingoffer of Isaih Thomas, Ben Mcclemore, the 8th pick and filler for Love...They already have Rubio as they're PG but thats not a horrible offer.

Isiah is an RFA, he has to agree to go to Minny - I don't think he agrees to be Rubio's back up.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Minny only gets to keep their 1st rounder for 2015 if it's in the Top 12? If it's not, it goes to Pheonix. Gotta think that will come into play at some point - I really wonder if a package of vets ala Chicago will be a smart avenue for them? If they do take on Gibson and Butler and make the playoffs as an 8th seed, they'd lose their 1st and presumably have no way to improve. That's a first class ticket to NBA purgatory.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman