Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014  (Read 191428 times)

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »

fitzhickey

Latest FIFA rankings:

1. Spain

2. Germany

3. Brazil

4. Portugal

5. Argentina

6. Switzerland

7. Uruguay

8. Colombia

9. Italy

10. England

11. Belgium

12. Greece

13. United States

14. Chile

15. Netherlands

16. Ukraine

17. France

18. Croatia

19. Russia

62. Australia

;D
This is a bit sad

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/france-winger-franck-ribery-ruled-world-cup-24024837

Well, so much for France's chances.

Le Pattern may not be true after all.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think you are underestimating greece and you are up for a big surprise.... we are going to bore to death every opponent and win the trophy.  ;D ;D ;D

Brasil will also host the next olympic games. The cost is huge.people are right to be angry. There are real needs to be adressed first.

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/france-winger-franck-ribery-ruled-world-cup-24024837

Well, so much for France's chances.

Le Pattern may not be true after all.

I don't think they have any chance without Ribery.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Switzerland top the group now. That would leave France with Argentina in the first knockout round.

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think the South American teams will play better than people expect. Theyll be more used to the climate, theyll have a strong fanbase and i think theyll be extra motivated playing in their home continent.

As a Brazilian, the dream scenario that also gives me nightmares is a Brazil Argentina finals. Argentina is a huge rival, think of Red Sox Yankees times 100, and they would love to win one in Brazil. With Messi trying to prove to be the best ever, that would be one exciting but very nervous situation.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 06:46:50 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
Does anybody collect the Panini World Cup sticker albums? This is the sticker albums that people get and try to collect all the players, which is the same album worldwide. Id like to know if my Aussies buddies have a tradition of collecting them there.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 08:23:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Latest FIFA rankings:

1. Spain

2. Germany

3. Brazil

4. Portugal

5. Argentina

6. Switzerland

7. Uruguay

8. Colombia

9. Italy

10. England

11. Belgium

12. Greece

13. United States

14. Chile

15. Netherlands

16. Ukraine

17. France

18. Croatia

19. Russia

62. Australia

;D
This is a bit sad

USA #13??? Really? Oh Okay!!

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Latest FIFA rankings:

1. Spain

2. Germany

3. Brazil

4. Portugal

5. Argentina

6. Switzerland

7. Uruguay

8. Colombia

9. Italy

10. England

11. Belgium

12. Greece

13. United States

14. Chile

15. Netherlands

16. Ukraine

17. France

18. Croatia

19. Russia

62. Australia

;D
This is a bit sad

USA #13??? Really? Oh Okay!!

You would have them higher?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the South American teams will play better than people expect. Theyll be more used to the climate, theyll have a strong fanbase and i think theyll be extra motivated playing in their home continent.
Yeah, the South American teams are looking strong.

Brazil and Argentina are two of the favourites for the competition.

I think Colombia is a darkhorse candidate for the tournament. Shame that Falcao didn't make it but they have good alternatives up front so I think they still have a chance to pull something off. I love James Rodriguez. He is a fantastic player. I think he is the one who makes them tick. As long as he's there and healthy, I think they'll be very dangerous.

Chile have a very strong team. I think they are the next-best team in the tournament outside of possible winners (I'd put them just ahead of Belgium). I don't think they take enough of the chances they create to win the tournament. So I expect that lack of clinical finishing will prove costly at some point. And they were very unlucky to get drawn in the same group as two powerful footballing nations in Spain and Holland. With Strootman injured and Holland scrambling to change their tactics, I am warming to Chile's chances of knocking the Dutch out and making the knockout stages. Nobody is going to want to face this team in knockout rounds. Very difficult to play against. They are so close ... just a goal-scorer away from being good enough to win the World Cup. Very enjoyable to watch. Excited to see Valdivia.

I think Uruguay are too flawed to win the tourney but I expect them to be a very tough out. I'd put them on a similar tier as a teams like England. A bit behind Chile and Belgium. Their forwards are fantastic but their midfield is too weak and their defense is slow and aging. Still, they are intelligent team who knows their weaknesses and strengths and plays accordingly. That is more than I can say for England so I think I'd ever-so-slightly favour Uruguay over England to come out of that group along with (hopefully!) Italy.

I don't know much about Ecuador but I saw them the other day and wasn't impressed by them. Struggled in qualifiers away from home too. So I expect them to struggle. Although with France missing Ribery, maybe they have a chance to pull a surprise and knock the French out. I think Switzerland should win that group with France & Ecuador fighting for 2nd place. France most talented but not reliable performers and quite young especially without Ribery's leadership.

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hey out of curiosity for those that know where would one typically see more flopping? An average Lebron game or an average World Cup game?

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2014, 04:56:51 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I think Cristiano Ronaldo and his Portugal henchmen will be candidates to cynically flop their way through the group stages. Other than that I hope good soccer prevails.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Ecuador will almost certainly struggle. Their goalkeeper and their back four looked like they'd only just met when they played England. They showed some good stuff on the counter-attack though.

I really hope there isn't too much play-acting this time around. Ronaldo and Portugal are probably the most likely culprits in that regard, although from what I've seen of Messi he looks like he might be heading to the Dark Side.

Finally, I found this on the infamous Italy-Chile match of 1962 while I was researching an article I was writing... let's hope none of the games are anything like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtL1m1o_ok&feature=kp

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
It's monday and the world cup is upon us. There are some good internet materials to get you pumped up. The youtube Fifa channel has some awesome team previews. Beast by Dre came out with a over the top but [dang] good video. Check it out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_i3Lcjli84
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gyWVia7hzGs

Keep dreaming, Rondo.  8)

Btw, considering all the injuries to the german team, they'll either crash out early or win it all. My money's on "win it all". They have to, otherwise the mob will demand Jogi's head and probably destroy everything they've built over the last years, which would be a shame.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace