Author Topic: NBA tenatively approves Clipper sale, Sterling drops lawsuit.  (Read 16256 times)

Re: NBA tenatively approves Clipper sale, Sterling drops lawsuit.
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
As much as I think Sterling did a very stupid thing, you still can't take property in this country for something a person says.  Plus what he said was obtained illegally.  Sterling (or whoever represents his interests by the time this is over) is going to win in the end.

1) They're not taking private property.  They forced out a business partner, and he was able to sell on the open market for $2 billion, which was certainly a fair price, if not an excessive price.  Business partners force each other out ALL THE TIME in THIS COUNTRY, for a variety of reasons, including speech.

2) If his words were truly obtained illegally, he has recourse.  He can:

a) press criminal charges
b) sue Stiviano
c) sue TMZ for releasing what they knew to be an illegally recorded conversation.

He has pursued none of these options.

The NBA merely reacted to the fallout.

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Plus what he said was obtained illegally.

Given that Sterling was aware of and consented to the recording, is this a talking point that needs to be retired?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Given that Sterling was aware of and consented to the recording, is this a talking point that needs to be retired?

Is there any proof of this?  I know it was rumored, but Sterling's attorneys have firmly denied it, including in their briefs submitted to the NBA. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As much as I think Sterling did a very stupid thing, you still can't take property in this country for something a person says.  Plus what he said was obtained illegally.  Sterling (or whoever represents his interests by the time this is over) is going to win in the end.

1) They're not taking private property.  They forced out a business partner, and he was able to sell on the open market for $2 billion, which was certainly a fair price, if not an excessive price.  Business partners force each other out ALL THE TIME in THIS COUNTRY, for a variety of reasons, including speech.

b) sue Stiviano
c) sue TMZ for releasing what they knew to be an illegally recorded conversation.

I don't know why this is such a hurdle for people.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

b) sue Stiviano

Area Man Passionate Defender of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

So it goes...

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Classic.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

b) sue Stiviano

Area Man Passionate Defender of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

So it goes...
given the topic for this thread and the way events are unfolding, it is completely appropriate that we draw upon the Onion, america's finest news source, for our commentary.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Is there any proof of this?  I know it was rumored, but Sterling's attorneys have firmly denied it, including in their briefs submitted to the NBA.

There was a third party in the room who cooperated with the league investigation.  I am fairly confident that the NBA checked out this angle if the legality of the recording matters.  Since Stiviano had recorded other conversations, my guess is that there is at least evidence to back up the idea that she regularly recorded him with his consent.

Either the legality doesn't matter, it matters and the league is competent enough to have some proof, it matters and the league is incompetent, or it matters and the league doesn't care.  I know which option I would bet on.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference