Author Topic: NBA tenatively approves Clipper sale, Sterling drops lawsuit.  (Read 16263 times)

Re: NBA tenatively approves Clipper sale, Sterling drops lawsuit.
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think you are mixing up racism and resentment and taking it personally.

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think that the idea that Donald Sterling's behavior should be somehow excused because he's "a senile old man 5 years into Alzheimer's", is suspect, specifically because A) his lawyer is going on the record to ESPN reporters saying that Sterling most likely wouldn't be found mentally incompetent by a judge and B) because the only reason the Alzheimer's/mentally unfit label surfaced in the first place was as a backup legal strategy to expedite the sale of the team.

If Sterling never decides to renege on the original sale, we're not having a conversation about whether or not he's mentally fit to make his own decisions, so color me skeptical about the idea that we're supposed to feel an iota of sympathy for this piece of **** because all of a sudden he's a guy who's 5 years into a serious disease only according to sources paid for by the woman who stands the most to gain from the diagnosis. Especially when its basically a false equivocation to complain about "all those nasty black people" the NBA supports.
Okay that I understand.

But if there is some truth to the Alzheimer's claim then it would give some credibility to the idea that Sterling could have been living, even temporarily in his mind, back in the 1950's and 60's and so was thinking he was saying stuff that many in America felt was socially acceptable to say.

Not saying that is the case but being having more first hand knowledge with this disease than about 99% of Celticsbloggers, its extremely plausible.

Either way, I think the man a scumbag and a racist. I just think he might have thought he was saying stuff that was socially acceptable because he might have strayed from reality there during the conversation with his girlfriend. If he was 100% cognizant of where and when he was, he might not have said it, even if it is the way he feels. The disease can do that to people.

About the only thing Alzheimer's explains is why he got caught on tape saying what he said, not that he would say such things.  The man settled with the US Department of Justice in a housing discrimination suit.  I've seen it written that he paid the largest ever settlement in such a case, although I haven't seen such a statement sourced, so I cannot verify.  Regardless, this man's racism has been a matter of public record for a decade, and probably no real secret for some time before.  5 years into Alzheimer's won't explain that away.  He's not a senile old man who says things.  He was a racist who denied Black and Latino people equal housing because they smelled funny or had too many children.  Now he's just not as good at hiding it.  Pity should be minimal.
This is true.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2009/November/09-crt-1187.html

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
A trial regarding Sterling's mental competence is scheduled for July 7th.  This means that the sale will not be finalized until after the beginning stages of free agency, which could hurt the Clippers ability to recruit free agents, since the franchise will be in a state of limbo.  If Shelley Sterling wins, the effects could still be minor, as the judge intends to rule before July 15th, due to the sale agreement which appears to include that deadline.   If Donald Sterling prevails during this trial, it becomes significantly less likely a sale is completed before the start of next season.  The NBA is threatening that they will vote to revoke his ownership by September 15th, but good luck at that.  Even though I think the NBA will ultimately win a lawsuit vs. Donald, I do not think it would progress quickly.

Adam Silver seems to agree with that assessment:

''As I've said previously, if Donald chooses to litigate against us, so be it,'' Silver said. ''So it's going to take longer than we had hoped for this transaction to close, but it'll get done ultimately. It's just a question of time.''
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lawyers-sterlings-face-off-la-073224445--nba.html

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2014, 09:52:29 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
sometimes life can be interesting.  :)

LOS ANGELES --
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling's team of lawyers has hired four private investigation firms to dig up dirt on the NBA's former and current commissioners and its 29 other owners, said a person familiar with Sterling's legal strategy.

Investigators were given a six-figure budget over the next 30 days to examine the league's finances, allegations of previous discriminatory conduct and compensation to past Commissioner David Stern and current Commissioner Adam Silver, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday night on condition of anonymity. The person wasn't authorized to talk publicly.

The person said the investigators also are looking into whether other owners made any off-color jokes, or racist or sexist remarks.

"The gloves are off, as they say," the person said. "Have them dig up all the dirt they can find."

The 80-year-old Sterling is suing the NBA for $1 billion in federal court after the league tried to oust him as Clippers owner for making racist remarks to a girlfriend that were recorded and publicized. Silver fined him $2.5 million and banned him for life.

The suit alleges the league violated Sterling's constitutional rights by relying on information from an "illegal" recording. It also said the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale.

Sterling's attorneys will also be facing off with his wife's attorneys in probate court during a four-day hearing scheduled for July.

The probate court hearing centers on whether Shelly Sterling had the right to unilaterally negotiate a $2 billion deal to sell the Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. Shelly Sterling's attorney, Pierce O'Donnell, said she made the deal as the sole administrator of The Sterling Family Trust, which owns the team, after two doctors determined her estranged husband was mentally "incapacitated." Donald Sterling is fighting that conclusion and her authority to sell.

The person who spoke to the AP said Donald Sterling reluctantly agreed to hire private investigators after this week's legal proceedings in probate court. The NBA submitted a legal filing Wednesday urging a judge to confirm Shelly Sterling's authority to sell the team.

"He realized these guys will literally go to any low to get this sold," the person said. "Even if it gets (him) nothing other than exposing all these guys and shaking up the league and seeing a change in the leadership of the league, it'll be worth it to him."

The firms will be engaged in an "audition" of sorts, the individual said: "whoever delivers the best (material) is going to stay on for the next round and it might be all four of them...29 owners is not a small undertaking."

http://abc7.com/sports/donald-sterling-hires-investigators-to-dig-up-dirt-on-nba/110957/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
That's awesome. If he's gonna go down, he might as well take a bunch of other people down with him.

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ugh. This is going to take forever.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Desperation is a stinky cologne.

I'm not sure how much those PI's will dig up on a six figure budget.  They'll blow through that in no time.  Good luck with that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He is doing exactly what you do  to a bully. Hit him right in the mouth. Hope he turns up some dirt on the hypocrites.

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'm not sure how much those PI's will dig up on a six figure budget.  They'll blow through that in no time.  Good luck with that.

They'll find some minor stuff that's already public and try to hype it up like crazy.  But yeah, they're not likely to dig up much on that kind of budget, especially since the current administration's only been in place for like 4 months.

I have a sneaking suspicion this entire process is going to boil down to a bunch of third parties milking Sterling for as much cash as possible for the end result of just dragging out the inevitable sale.  Just hope it doesn't get too ugly for the league in the process.

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

They'll find some minor stuff that's already public and try to hype it up like crazy.  But yeah, they're not likely to dig up much on that kind of budget, especially since the current administration's only been in place for like 4 months.

I have a sneaking suspicion this entire process is going to boil down to a bunch of third parties milking Sterling for as much cash as possible for the end result of just dragging out the inevitable sale.  Just hope it doesn't get too ugly for the league in the process.

I said it when this whole thing started.  The lawyers are going to make out like bandits in this thing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
As much as I think Sterling did a very stupid thing, you still can't take property in this country for something a person says.  Plus what he said was obtained illegally.  Sterling (or whoever represents his interests by the time this is over) is going to win in the end. 

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Yay!  This is going to take forever!

I want it to drag out long enough to fill that boring period between the initial flurry of free agency and the start of the regular season.

A bunch of PIs auditioning for a bigger contract sounds like a reality show in the making.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
As much as I think Sterling did a very stupid thing, you still can't take property in this country for something a person says.  Plus what he said was obtained illegally.  Sterling (or whoever represents his interests by the time this is over) is going to win in the end.

Especially if those doing the taking have done worse things. By the way, when did almighty NBA change its mind on Shelly Sterling?

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Yay!  This is going to take forever!

I want it to drag out long enough to fill that boring period between the initial flurry of free agency and the start of the regular season.

A bunch of PIs auditioning for a bigger contract sounds like a reality show in the making.

You mean Summer League isn't your bag? But where else will we see the next *INSERT HALL OF FAMER HERE* in action?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I just hope that the Clippers descend into chaos because of this. As I've said before, I think Doc, Chris Paul, and anyone else who voluntarily decided to come to the Clippers and overlook Sterling's well-documented racism because of money, location, and circumstance have no right to be bitter about it now.

Needless to say, the Clippers descending knto chaos would also be highly advantageous for the C's who hold their pick next year.