Author Topic: NBA tenatively approves Clipper sale, Sterling drops lawsuit.  (Read 16276 times)

Re: NBA tenatively approves Clipper sale, Sterling drops lawsuit.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Shelly Sterling indemnified the NBA from damages in future lawsuits from her estranged husband as part of the sale agreement with the NBA. She negotiated the sale as the sole trustee of the Sterling family trust, which owns LA Clippers LLC, after two neurologists had declared Donald Sterling unable to conduct his own business and legal affairs.
-from realgm

Sterling reminds me of my grandmother. She too had her prejudices but I think most people of that generation did.

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Shelly Sterling indemnified the NBA from damages in future lawsuits from her estranged husband as part of the sale agreement with the NBA. She negotiated the sale as the sole trustee of the Sterling family trust, which owns LA Clippers LLC, after two neurologists had declared Donald Sterling unable to conduct his own business and legal affairs.
-from realgm

Given this, does Sterling really have a leg to stand on in this lawsuit?  If he's not controlling the trust, he has no say over the sale of the team, I think, and no grounds to sue if the indemnification is legit.  Maybe he could fight the dementia diagnosis somehow, but it seems like this is even more unlikely than it was before the sale was negotiated. 

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Coach Hobbs....Since discovery of these remarks came from an illegal wiretap does Sterling have a case in his lawsuit against the league?

I'm certainly not an expert here, but I don't think he has much of a case.  The NBA Constitution, and disputes thereunder, are governed by New York law, which is a "one party" recording state.  The recordings would be admissible and competent evidence there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
-from realgm

Given this, does Sterling really have a leg to stand on in this lawsuit?  If he's not controlling the trust, he has no say over the sale of the team, I think, and no grounds to sue if the indemnification is legit.  Maybe he could fight the dementia diagnosis somehow, but it seems like this is even more unlikely than it was before the sale was negotiated.

Mostly that just means that if Sterling does sue the league he'll end up footing their legal bills, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
-from realgm

Mostly that just means that if Sterling does sue the league he'll end up footing their legal bills, too.

Unless there's also a suit which attempts to overturn Shelly Sterling's authority to negotiate the sale.  Haven't seen if that suit exists (nor do I have any clue as to whether or not it would be successful).  If Sterling were able to get rid of that indemnification clause, then he would gain by successfully suing the NBA.  That's a lot of if and unlikely events, and the man should just walk away with his billion.

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
-from realgm

Unless there's also a suit which attempts to overturn Shelly Sterling's authority to negotiate the sale.  Haven't seen if that suit exists (nor do I have any clue as to whether or not it would be successful).  If Sterling were able to get rid of that indemnification clause, then he would gain by successfully suing the NBA.  That's a lot of if and unlikely events, and the man should just walk away with his billion.

So he'd first have to undo Shelly Sterling's status as sole trustee, to then nullify her action of indemnification, to then even begin to have standing to sue the league?  Yeah it sounds like the slim shot he had before the sale agreement is quite a bit slimmer now. 

Wonder if this boils down to Sterling's attorneys taking advantage of him or if he really changed his mind (in whatever state it's in these days).  Either way this just seems like tilting at windmills at this point.

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
-from realgm

So he'd first have to undo Shelly Sterling's status as sole trustee, to then nullify her action of indemnification, to then even begin to have standing to sue the league?  Yeah it sounds like the slim shot he had before the sale agreement is quite a bit slimmer now. 

Wonder if this boils down to Sterling's attorneys taking advantage of him or if he really changed his mind (in whatever state it's in these days).  Either way this just seems like tilting at windmills at this point.

No he can sue the league now.  The cost of the lawsuit just gets paid out of the proceeds from the sale, whether he wins or loses.  The only benefit of a win is overturning the ban.

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
-from realgm

No he can sue the league now.  The cost of the lawsuit just gets paid out of the proceeds from the sale, whether he wins or loses.  The only benefit of a win is overturning the ban.

Which is, allegedly, one of the reasons why he first accepted the offer and then rejected it -- he thought negation of the ban and the fine was part of the sale:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-sterling-sale-20140607-story.html
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
-from realgm

Gotcha, thanks.  So the indemnification doesn't stop the suit, it just eliminates any financial damages he can get from it.  To actually collect he'd have to negate the indemnification.  I think.

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This thing is a mess. 

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 03:51:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
-from realgm

Gotcha, thanks.  So the indemnification doesn't stop the suit, it just eliminates any financial damages he can get from it.  To actually collect he'd have to negate the indemnification.  I think.

That is my best understanding of the situation, inasmuch information as we have from media reports and statements from his lawyers.  I suppose he could perhaps try to make his wife on the hook for the indemnification -- such that any costs from the lawsuit that get taken out of the proceeds from the sale come from her share.  Not sure that'd work either, but I think they've just been throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks for 6 weeks now.

As someone in the antitrust field, I REALLY want to see that antitrust argument they say they're going to make.  It just makes me laugh.

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
What makes me laugh is nonsense like this:

Defending a scumbag like Sterling behind a document you clearly don't understand for political reasons.

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
What makes me laugh is nonsense like this:

Defending a scumbag like Sterling behind a document you clearly don't understand for political reasons.

I'm not defending Sterling but I clearly understand the document. 

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Then you understand why the First Amendment has absolutely no bearing on what's happening with Sterling.

At all.

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Looks like Shelly Sterling is making a play to confirm she had authority to negotiate the sale.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/apnewsbreak-shelly-sterling-heads-court-190701911--nba.html

That's the biggest potential thorn in the sale.  If the CA court rules that Shelly Sterling had the right to sell, then the sale agreement is good and the only issue in Donald's lawsuit is the $2.5 million fine and banishment.  If she's ruled against, then it's likely the sale is at least temporarily off, in which case, the circus begins anew.