Author Topic: It's great and all that all these guys are giving their expert opinions on Melo  (Read 13381 times)

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
And that he shouldn't be brought here because he wouldn't fit and all.

For this thread, let's assume we do get Love.

So who do you want to pair next Rondo-Kevin Love? Who is that third star?

Some people like to take other peoples' ideas, even when they don't have any better ideas themselves.

So kindly let all of us know which "star" you want to get and your reason for why the player would fit and exceed here better than Carmelo.

First of all, there is no one available of Carmelo's caliber in the market right now. No, LeBron, Wade or Bosh are not coming here and Omer Asik is not a superstar, as much as you would like him to be.

Also, I'm talking about right now, not player who will be available next year or the year after or the year after that.

Rondo and Love want to win, that'd be the whole point Love would be willing to come here. Two stars ain't getting it done. They'll get crushed by the Heat. A third one needs to be there.

So, you have the stage. Just like many of you guys showered us with your exception knowledge and logical reason for why Carmelo should not be brought here, please school us further on who should it be instead. Because guess what? You can't just keep pointing out weaknesses in other people's ideas. We still have to get a third star, so either give your own ideas (and legit ones please, no "Lance Stephenson will be our third star" or "Omer Asik will be third superstar') or just sit down, instead of criticizing everyone.

Go ahead, blabber.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Why assume a 3rd superstar is required at all?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
In today's era, if you want to go beat the Heat and win the Finals, you need three, not two.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
In today's era, if you want to go beat the Heat and win the Finals, you need three, not two.

So, the Spurs are dead in the water, I guess.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
You can put two top 50-75 guys next to Love & Rondo, build out a solid remaining rotation and I think you're still going to be in pretty solid shape. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I would LOVE Gasol.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think most stars would work well alongside Rondo and K-Love. Those two guys do a lot to help their teammates and are both pretty easy to play alongside.

Kevin Love needs a strong interior defender next to him ... but aside from that, I think K-Love can play with anyone. I think all perimeter players would love to play with a big man as skilled as Kevin Love. He does such a great job of opening up the floor for his teammates and punishing scrambling defenses. So basically, just avoid poor defensive centers.

Rondo can play with pretty much any type of big man and most perimeter players. The perimeter players need to be able to play both on + off the ball. Not someone like Tyreke Evans who has only been effective on the ball so far in his career. I think Rondo would work as well with Melo as he did with Pierce. So, just avoid perimeter players who can't play off the ball.

That leaves a wide pool of star players to choose from.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would LOVE Gasol.
Yeah, I think someone like Marc Gasol could be really fun as third star.

Not the quick footed center I'd ideally like but a strong interior defender + the offensive combination of Marc Gasol, Kevin Love and Rajon Rondo would just be so much fun to watch. The passing combinations + spacing the bigs would provide + dribble drive threat Rondo provides would be a beautiful sight to see

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown

Their Big 3 is Duncan, Ginobili and Parker. I thought it was obvious by now? Plus, Spurs are different, since even if their stars are not all-time superstars, their coach and front office makes up for it by putting right talent around them and making them play the right way.

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I would LOVE Gasol.
Yeah, I think someone like Marc Gasol could be really fun as third star.

Not the quick footed center I'd ideally like but a strong interior defender + the offensive combination of Marc Gasol, Kevin Love and Rajon Rondo would just be so much fun to watch. The passing combinations + spacing the bigs would provide + dribble drive threat Rondo provides would be a beautiful sight to see

Yeah, Rondo-Bradley-Green-Love-Gasol would be a contender in my opinion.

The problem is, I don't see any reason why would Memphis trade him, unless at the trade deadline if he says he's out in the summer of 2015.

And also, we would have more contract flexibility to bring in better role players. Gasol has 15, give Love 18-19, Rondo like Gasol or somewhere in between those two and you're ready to go. Maybe you can even bring Afflalo or someone like that.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Their Big 3 is Duncan, Ginobili and Parker. I thought it was obvious by now? Plus, Spurs are different, since even if their stars are not all-time superstars, their coach and front office makes up for it by putting right talent around them and making them play the right way.

You're saying Ginobili is a star in today's NBA? I think he's a fine player, but I do not consider him a star. He may have been once.

If Ginobili is a star, does that make Chandler Parsons and Nic Batum stars? Both put up as good as, if not better, numbers than Ginobili this season. If so, why aren't Houston or Portland playing right now, if three stars are what you need to make the Finals?

Edit: to me, it's that last sentence that's key. Fit is as important as talent; the sum is greater than the individual parts. And this goes with Miami as well. They have terrific role players around their three stars.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:59:29 PM by Lucky17 »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
At the two guard position,

I think up-and-comers like Klay Thompson or Bradley Beal would be great fits as a third star. Both are excellent jump-shooters who can handle the ball a bit and make some plays off the dribble. Two guys who can create a good amount of their own offense but are also highly effective off the ball and have proven to be effective alongside ball-dominant PGs (S.Curry, J.Wall).

I wonder a bit about how well Lance Stephenson would do alongside Rondo offensively. Stephenson has never played with a ball-dominant PG before + needs quite a bit of the ball himself + is a fairly mediocre player off-the-ball (offensively). That said, the combined strength of Rondo's & L.Stephenson's defense and rebounding would be one hell of an advantage for the Celtics. Perhaps somewhat similar to Wade & LeBron in that they (Rondo, L.Stephenson) might not be the smoothest fit together offensively but their combined strength in terms of defense + rebounding and their overall individual talent could be just too strong not to be able to overcome any offensive issues.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I think up-and-comers like Klay Thompson or Bradley Beal would be great fits as a third star. Both are excellent jump-shooters who can handle the ball a bit and make some plays off the dribble. Two guys who can create a good amount of their own offense but are also highly effective off the ball and have proven to be effective alongside ball-dominant PGs (S.Curry, J.Wall).

I wonder a bit about how well Lance Stephenson would do alongside Rondo offensively. Stephenson has never played with a ball-dominant PG before + needs quite a bit of the ball himself + is a fairly mediocre player off-the-ball (offensively). That said, the combined strength of Rondo's & L.Stephenson's defense and rebounding would be one hell of an advantage for the Celtics. Perhaps somewhat similar to Wade & LeBron in that they (Rondo, L.Stephenson) might not be the smoothest fit together offensively but their combined strength in terms of defense + rebounding and their overall individual talent could be just too strong not to be able to overcome any offensive issues.

Who, would you put Gordon Hayward a notch below Beal and Klay on your two-guard list? Or would you prefer to see Hayward at the 3?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Objectively: either Gasol sibling (even if the thought Pau in Green and White makes me gag a little)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Who, would you put Gordon Hayward a notch below Beal and Klay on your two-guard list? Or would you prefer to see Hayward at the 3?

Yeah, a notch below .... because G.Hayward hasn't shown the consistency there yet. Just flashes. Hasn't mastered his own skill-set at either wing position yet. Still a bit of a tweener. An underachiever (to date) although hopefully that will change.

The other two guys are more reliable as high level players.

Edit: I like Hayward more as a 2 than a 3 but he hasn't made either position his own yet. Still floating between the two not committing to either. It has slowed down his development. I wonder if he'll ever figure things out.