Author Topic: Idea: Love to Boston, Afflalo/Smith to Minn, Martin to Detroit  (Read 3091 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This idea is based on the possibility that Minnesota might prefer veterans who let them think they can make the playoffs.  I haven't rigorously checked the math, but I think it is close enough that if it doesn't work you only need to toss around some minor contracts.

Orlando
In - Celtics first round pick (#6). 2015 protected Philly pick, Joel Anthony, Phil Pressey
Out - Aaron Afflalo, the Knicks' first round pick (#12), future second-round pick

Detroit
In - Orlando's second first round pick (#12 from Knicks), Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, Brandon Bass
Out - Josh Smith, Will Bynum, second round pick (#38)

Minnesota
In - Josh Smith, Aaron Afflalo, #17 pick, Sullinger or Olynyk
Out - Kevin Love, Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger

Boston
In - Kevin Love, Will Bynum, Detroit's second round pick (#38), future Orlando second-round pick
Out - #6 pick, #17 Nets pick, 2015 protected Philly pick, Joel Anthony, Brandon Bass, Phil Pressey, Sullinger or Olynyk

Orlando moves their second first-round draft pick for their rebuilding.  I am not sure what they want, but it feels like they are in a holding pattern while they wait for some of their young players to demonstrate they are keepers.

Detroit gets out from Josh Smith's contract, addresses their lack of three-point shooting, gets a floor-spreading big off the bench (is it good or bad that SVG is familiar with him?), and gets a first round pick after losing their pick to Charlotte.

Minnesota gets two starters, a young player with upside, and a first while getting rid of the contracts for Martin and Budinger.

Boston gets Love, a veteran backup for Rondo, and a second-round pick to use on a potential sleeper.  I am a bit interested in a Eurostash pick of Bogdan Bogdanovic. 

Boston is left with the TPE, the unguaranteed contracts of Keith Bogans and whoever else isn't used up in this deal, Kelly Olynyk, all of their own post-2014 picks , and extra first-round picks in 2015, 2016, and 2018 as trade assets, along with the MLE (and the BAE), to address the need for a rim-protecting center and any other needs. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Idea: Love to Boston, Afflalo/Smith to Minn, Martin to Detroit
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
4-team trades rarely ever happen so this is more an academic exercise. TP for effort!

That said it's creative --- MIN does better than in most deals I've seen suggested for Love (Smith, Afflalo, Sullinger and a #1 is good value). And it makes sense for DET to move Smith and get back a high #1 for the price of taking on Martin (who helps with SVG's plan to spread the floor).

I don't know though that ORL does the deal --- Afllalo and NY #12 for #6 and (likely) two PHI 2nd rounders (which is waht the 2015 PHI pick is likely to be) doesn't seem to make sense for them.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you look at it, it's really the Celtics doing a trade with Orlando, then flipping Aflfalo to Minnesota in a three-team deal.

I just really can't get a feel for what Orlando is or should be doing.  It sounds like they may value Afflalo as a veteran presence the way the Wizards supposedly had Nene as untouchable a year ago, but it's also been said that they would to revisit deals in the off-season after declining to make a move at the trade deadline.

Maybe if they really love both Exum and Smart and want to put them in a three-guard rotation with Oladipo that sometimes has two PGs on the floor.

If not Afflalo, then maybe another wing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
If Kevin Love leaves Minny, I expect Minny to go full rebuild...everyone on that team is gone.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't see Minny trading Love without a top 8 pick in return regardless of what non superstar or stars are involved.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for a lot of moves that aren't terribly unbalanced.  Overall I think Orlando gets way too much for what they give up (Afflalo is not enough to move up to #6 from #12 IMHO).

Minny gets a better SG in Afflalo, an all-star forward in Smith (whether he merits that is a different issue), a top prospect in either Sully or KO and #17 which should yield a high-quality bench player if not a starter.  not a bad return for Love but the realistic view is that there's not much upside to that return.  they'd struggle to make the playoffs in the West.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think if you swap the #6 and #17 picks so MIN gets #6 the chances of the trade increase greatly. On various message boards I've see as many as five 1st round picks suggested for Love (not that I think that is the correct amount).

One thing I think has changed since last off-season is that Josh Smith isn't really an asset any more. His contract is onerous and his play was almost historically bad last season. I'd imagine that MIN would want picks rather than Smith. Something to consider.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I thought about something similar along the lines of this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kxxveop

Boston In: Kevin Love, Kevin Martin
Boston  Out: Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Keith Bogans, Kelly Olynyk, 2014 # 6 Pick, and one other future first rounder (preferably Clips' or Philly's pick if we can get away with it)

Minny In: Josh Smith, Kelly Olynyk, Keith Bogans, 2014 # 6 pick, other future 1st rounder
Minny Out: Kevin Love, Kevin Martin

Detroit In: Jeff Green, Brandon Bass
Detroit Out: Josh Smith

Why Boston does it: They're getting Love and a perimeter scoring threat, while only giving up two firsts.  It'll suck to lose Olynyk, but Bass, Bogans, and Green are expendable.

Why Minny does it: Honestly, I don't think they can get a better package than this other than possibly GSW, depending on how you view their pieces.  They get an All-Star, a young shooting stud with good potential, salary relief in Bogans, out from Martins horrible contract, and two probably excellent draft picks. Josh Smith has a reputation, but in Minny he can be the man again and that might help his stock.  He's locked up for awhile, too, so there's no "Love Trade Demand" stuff for awhile. Also, as good of a shooter as Olynyk is at the four spot, Saunders could possibly try the "Josh Smith Small Forward Experiment" again with better luck.  Maybe - I don't know.

Why Detroit does it: They cut their losses on their attempt at the "Josh Smith Small Forward Experiment" and get out of his long contract.  They go ahead with the Moose/Drummond frountcourt again.  Green's a similar player to Smith with much better shooting, so he would, theoretically, be a much better fit with those two.  Also, he could possibly opt out after a year if he hates Detroit, so he could possibly be an expiring, too.  Bass is just filler to make the salaries work, but he's an experienced, hard-working vet who would surely aid their bench and development of the young guys.  Not to mention he's also an expiring!

Who says no?

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If Detroit's dumping Josh Smith, they'd better be giving up a first rounder, as well (at the very least).