Author Topic: Weak chatter linking Melo to the Celtics but how could that even work?  (Read 6649 times)

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
To get Love, I assume salaries would have to match up fairly closely, say Bass, Bogans, Sullinger plus 2 picks (maybe 3).  Doesn't that still leave us over the salary cap?  Could we even sign Melo for anything close to his market value?

Am I missing something?

Unless we trade Green, Wallace, and the rest of all of our "tradeable" draft picks for Melo or something like that?

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Got a source?

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Got a source?

He's probably referring to Rondo's quote from earlier today.  Someone has posted a link to the interview in one of these threads. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/59460-holding-court-celtics-pacers-opposite-directions

If was referenced in the comments from the latest KLove story on the main page.  No one is suggesting the actual rumor is anything more than idle chatter but my question is whether or not there is even a financial/cap way to do it.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If we load up for Love and miss badly maybe Danny reloads the chamber and takes a shot at Melo on draft day
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think acquiring both would deplete us us our assets to the point where we couldn't have any kind of supporting cast for those guys.

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Danny knows what we need
i got mad love for Love but we should never put all are in one basket

Melo would be great here..he made his money and shouldnt mind take a lil pay cut to run here

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sully, Wallace, #6 two future firsts for Love.

Green, our unguaranteeds, Anthony, Bass, #17 and two future firsts for Melo.

Leaves us with

Rondo
Bradley
Melo
Love
KO/Faverani

Somewhere around 58 mil for those 6 guys. Not saying I'd do it but it looks possible.

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
- Wallace, Bass, Bogans, Sullinger + draft picks for Love and Martin.

- Jeff Green, Anthony to Utah for a conditional 2nd rounder.

- Renounce all bird rights and non guaranteed.

Asik ($14) absorb
Love ($14)
Anthony ($17) free agency signing
Martin ($6)
Rondo ($13)

Olynk ($2)

That team is instantly the 2nd best in the east and competing for a title.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
OK, I am going to attempt to answer my own question with the mother load trade of all time (could be done all at once or separately I think).

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l2p8yru

Boston gets Love and Melo, wooo hooo (we keep one pick in 2015, and one in 2017)

NY gets:  Wallace, Green, Anthony and 2014 #6, 2015 LAC, 2016 BKN, 2018 BOS (4 picks total)

Minni gets:  Bass, Bogans, Sullinger, 2014 #17, 2016 Celtics, 2018 BKN (3 picks total)

So I guess it is possible.   Probably about as likely as us trading for LeBron but hey, there it is.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:05:15 PM by Vermont Green »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Sully, Wallace, #6 two future firsts for Love.

Green, our unguaranteeds, Anthony, Bass, #17 and two future firsts for Melo.

Leaves us with

Rondo
Bradley
Melo
Love
KO/Faverani

Somewhere around 58 mil for those 6 guys. Not saying I'd do it but it looks possible.

You beat me to it.  Mine is a little different but really about the same.

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
"We would be a lot better if we had a guy like Kevin," Rondo said. "He's a range-shooting four. He's going to help on the glass. Obviously we haven't been the best on the glass in the last couple years, he'll do a better job at that aspect. But this is all speculation. Nothing's happened, nothing's set in stone. We could talk about Kevin all day or we can insert Carmelo (Anthony's) name in there all day. Nothing's happened."
http://m.sportsworldreport.com/articles/30764/20140602/kevin-love-trade-rumors-rajon-rondo-denies-boston-celtics-recruitment-carmelo-anthony-free-agency-jeff-green-jared-sullinger-deal-forward.htm

The only thing I've seen about Melo to Boston.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
- Wallace, Bass, Bogans, Sullinger + draft picks for Love and Martin.

- Jeff Green, Anthony to Utah for a conditional 2nd rounder.

- Renounce all bird rights and non guaranteed.

Asik ($14) absorb
Love ($14)
Anthony ($17) free agency signing
Martin ($6)
Rondo ($13)

Olynk ($2)

That team is instantly the 2nd best in the east and competing for a title.
Not sure we would be far enough under to sign Melo but I will take your word for it.  Getting Utah to absorb about $14M is an interesting approach.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
OK, I am going to attempt to answer my own question with the mother load trade of all time (could be done all at once or separately I think).

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l2p8yru

Boston get Love and Melo, wooo hooo (we keep one pick in 2015, and one in 2017)

NY gets:  Wallace, Green, Anthony and 2014 #6, 2015 LAC, 2016 BKN, 2018 BOS (4 picks total)

Minni gets:  Bass, Bogans, Sullinger, 2014 #17, 2016 Celtics, 2018 BKN (3 picks total)

So I guess it is possible.   Probably about as likely as us trading for LeBron but hey, there it is.

I like that a lot

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Sign and Trade Jeff Green, Humphries, a couple of future firsts for Melo. Got to get Love first then Melo will come.