Author Topic: Love wants out by July 1st  (Read 21075 times)

Re: Love wants out by July 1st
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2014, 11:56:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That said, Minny's record during Love's time there and his inability to raise that team to the point to even make the playoffs concerns me. Could Love just be one of those guys that hangs stats but does little to make teams better? Sure Minny's front office was a joke during his tenure there but should a player with supposedly top 5-10 player in the league potential be able to get a team in the playoffs just one time in 6-7 years?

His teammates have been really, really bad.  It's kind of hard to win when you have Darko Milicic and Michael Beasley in the starting lineup next to you.  Pekovic might be the only teammate that Love has had who has performed at an above-average level for an extended period of time.

In 2012-2013, Love played 18 games and the team went 31-51.  In 2013-2014, Love played 77 games, and the team went 40-42.  The main changes were Love taking minutes back from Derrick Williams, Rubio taking some minutes from Alexy Shved, and swapping out Luke Ridnour and Andrei Kirilenko for Kevin Martin and Corey Brewer.

It's arguable that Lebron James might be the only current NBA player who could have elevated Love's teammates to the playoffs.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
so, i saw this on bleacher report.  all that i can say, is where do i sign up:

The Trade

Boston Receives: Kevin Love

Minnesota Receives: Jeff Green, Kelly Olynyk, Pick 6 of the 2014 draft and a 2016 unprotected first-round pick via Brooklyn.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
That said, Minny's record during Love's time there and his inability to raise that team to the point to even make the playoffs concerns me. Could Love just be one of those guys that hangs stats but does little to make teams better? Sure Minny's front office was a joke during his tenure there but should a player with supposedly top 5-10 player in the league potential be able to get a team in the playoffs just one time in 6-7 years?

His teammates have been really, really bad.  It's kind of hard to win when you have Darko Milicic and Michael Beasley in the starting lineup next to you.  Pekovic might be the only teammate that Love has had who has performed at an above-average level for an extended period of time.

In 2012-2013, Love played 18 games and the team went 31-51.  In 2013-2014, Love played 77 games, and the team went 40-42.  The main changes were Love taking minutes back from Derrick Williams, Rubio taking some minutes from Alexy Shved, and swapping out Luke Ridnour and Andrei Kirilenko for Kevin Martin and Corey Brewer.

It's arguable that Lebron James might be the only current NBA player who could have elevated Love's teammates to the playoffs.

Unless, of course, Minny had happened to play in the East--in which case Love would have got them there easily.

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

They also played terribly in close games.

Rubio struggled a lot in clutch situations (Love was awesome) this year and it caused them to play JJ Barea a lot in the 4th. Playing one of your weaker players in the 4th didn't work out for them....

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

They also played terribly in close games.

Rubio struggled a lot in clutch situations (Love was awesome) this year and it caused them to play JJ Barea a lot in the 4th. Playing one of your weaker players in the 4th didn't work out for them....

I know some Minny fans who would gladly have gathered a mob with pitchforks to run Barea out of town!

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

The Trade

Minnesota Receives: Jeff Green, Kelly Olynyk, Pick 6 of the 2014 draft and a 2016 unprotected first-round pick via Brooklyn.

If that's all you have to give up for Love, it's a no-brainer.  I'm not sure what Boston does at small forward, though, unless this is a step toward trading Wallace, Bass, filler and a buttload of picks for Melo.

Mike

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

The Trade

If that's all you have to give up for Love, it's a no-brainer.  I'm not sure what Boston does at small forward, though, unless this is a step toward trading Wallace, Bass, filler and a buttload of picks for Melo.

Mike

If true (which I doubt but I'll play), that's not a bad price to pay at all.  It'd be nice if they could somehow plug Sullinger in place of Olynyk but certainly not a dealbreaker, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team