Author Topic: Love wants out by July 1st  (Read 20990 times)

Re: Love wants out by July 1st
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Rondo tends to always go for the offensive rebound instead of getting back on defense, in addition to holding the ball until he can get the assist, and going for the lazy steal instead of playing sound positional defense.

They'll be a match made in heaven.  A couple of selfish stat-padders.

Yeah, a couple of legendary leaders joining forces to win the stat championship.

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
And yet Sacramento didn't actually get better. Which was the point.

By that logic, DeMarcus Cousins is also a player no one should want.

Mike

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rondo tends to always go for the offensive rebound instead of getting back on defense, in addition to holding the ball until he can get the assist, and going for the lazy steal instead of playing sound positional defense.

They'll be a match made in heaven.  A couple of selfish stat-padders.

Yeah, a couple of legendary leaders joining forces to win the stat championship.

I can't believe you honestly said KO can average 18-22 PPG.

How about we make a bet of 5 TP's that KO doesn't average any more than 14 PPG next season?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think you are missing two important points.

One, Gay shooting better than he did in Toronto(I say shooting because I don't think his overall game got better so much as he shot better), didn't make the Kings any better.

I can't prove that Gay was directly responsible, but I've already shown that the Kings won at a slightly better clip and improved offensively after the trade.

A better hypothesis might be that the Kings did slightly better because they were no longer giving John Salmons minutes and because they were giving more minutes to Isaiah Thomas.

I would agree that replacing John Salmons with Rudy Gay should spice up your offense.

Yes, replacing John Salmons with an average player helps.

Both sides of the ball considered, I wonder if Gay is slightly above average? His usage and scoring numbers, both top 20, are very close to John Wall's numbers last year, almost identical.
Not trying to be disrespectful Luck but your opinion on Gay in this thread smacks of the same thinking that many on this site had about Jeff Green in 2013 simply because he had a strong half year with the Celtics. Green then turned around and became the very same player in 2013-14 he had been for the 5-6 years before the end of the 2012-13 season.

My thinking here is Gay just returns to being the player he was every year before last year and even last year as a whole and not the player that shot really well for half a year in Sactown.

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't believe you honestly said KO can average 18-22 PPG.

How about we make a bet of 5 TP's that KO doesn't average any more than 14 PPG next season?

That doesn't seem like a sound bet because Olynyk isn't likely to get enough playing time to average 14ppg.  It might be an interesting line to bet on whether or not he surpasses 18 points per 36 minutes, if you two are looking for a bet.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think you are missing two important points.

One, Gay shooting better than he did in Toronto(I say shooting because I don't think his overall game got better so much as he shot better), didn't make the Kings any better.

I can't prove that Gay was directly responsible, but I've already shown that the Kings won at a slightly better clip and improved offensively after the trade.

A better hypothesis might be that the Kings did slightly better because they were no longer giving John Salmons minutes and because they were giving more minutes to Isaiah Thomas.

I would agree that replacing John Salmons with Rudy Gay should spice up your offense.

Yes, replacing John Salmons with an average player helps.

Both sides of the ball considered, I wonder if Gay is slightly above average? His usage and scoring numbers, both top 20, are very close to John Wall's numbers last year, almost identical.
Not trying to be disrespectful Luck but your opinion on Gay in this thread smacks of the same thinking that many on this site had about Jeff Green in 2013 simply because he had a strong half year with the Celtics. Green then turned around and became the very same player in 2013-14 he had been for the 5-6 years before the end of the 2012-13 season.

My thinking here is Gay just returns to being the player he was every year before last year and even last year as a whole and not the player that shot really well for half a year in Sactown.

Well, we'll see, nick. Time will tell.

He's nowhere near worth a top 15 or so salary in the NBA, but if Gay were making only $9 mil a year like Green, I suspect he'd be much, much less of a lightning rod for criticism. He's not without his flaws, but he's only in his eighth year in the league, and has hovered at or over the 20 ppg mark nearly every year after his rookie year. For Sacramento's sake, I hope he pans out there.

Apologies for derailing the topic of conversation.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
It's possible for a bad player to score 200ppg several years in a row.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I think it's impossible for anyone to score 200 ppg one year in a row.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Yeah 200?! No way.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Jack Taylor from Grinnell would like to try
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I have to weigh in on this, because it quite frankly is killing me...

1) I honestly believe there are some people on this board who truly have no understanding of how good Kevin Love is...Not a shaft to those people, I just don't think they appreciate what he's done in Minnesota or haven't watched him play enough. He's not flawless, but he's easily a top-15 player in the NBA. Those guys just don't become available often. Moreover, the timing of his availability, while the Celtics have the assets to outbid practically every other team, can't be overlooked. It's the perfect storm.

2) Jared Sullinger MAY become an All-Star player...he MAY become a guy who never reaches his potential, because he can't lose weight and keep it off, during the season. I personally feel that he will be able to keep in shape, but that is purely speculation. I like Sully a great deal, but he's not Kevin Love. He might have had 2-3 weeks of Love production last season, but to go from there to averaging 26 & 12.5 is a gigantic jump. I take you back to the Big Al v. KG discussions...Yes, Al has grown into a 20 & 10 guy, but would you give back the years of KG for that?  NOT saying Love is KG, but you get the point.

3) Future 1st rounders, for those who are so touchy with giving them away, were stockpiled for this very reason...If a star player became available, the Celtics would have the war chest ready to dump a "you can't refuse that" type of deal on the table. The Celtics will NOT use all of those picks in the next 3-4 years...If they do, we're all screwed as fans.

4) This could be the most important factor in all of this discussion...With Love, I believe your chances of resigning Rondo grow exponentially. If you don't trade for Love, those chances likely decrease exponentially. If you want Rondo on this team for the next 5-6 years, then acquiring Love is your best chance. If you don't want Rondo, but want Love, that's not likely to happen b/c Love will walk if Rondo does.  If you don't want Rondo nor Love, well good luck.  You are working towards a 6-year rebuild!

I'm all for Sully, the 6th pick, the Clippers 2015 pick and the worst of the Celtics/Nets 2016 pick...If the C's have to sweeten it, I could be open to Sully, the 6th pick, Boston's 1st round pick next year and the worst of the Celtics/Nets 2016 pick...There will also have to be filler involved from Boston's side.

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
theres no vacancies
Love dont live here any More

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »

Offline doinky

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I have to weigh in on this, because it quite frankly is killing me...

1) I honestly believe there are some people on this board who truly have no understanding of how good Kevin Love is...Not a shaft to those people, I just don't think they appreciate what he's done in Minnesota or haven't watched him play enough. He's not flawless, but he's easily a top-15 player in the NBA. Those guys just don't become available often. Moreover, the timing of his availability, while the Celtics have the assets to outbid practically every other team, can't be overlooked. It's the perfect storm.

2) Jared Sullinger MAY become an All-Star player...he MAY become a guy who never reaches his potential, because he can't lose weight and keep it off, during the season. I personally feel that he will be able to keep in shape, but that is purely speculation. I like Sully a great deal, but he's not Kevin Love. He might have had 2-3 weeks of Love production last season, but to go from there to averaging 26 & 12.5 is a gigantic jump. I take you back to the Big Al v. KG discussions...Yes, Al has grown into a 20 & 10 guy, but would you give back the years of KG for that?  NOT saying Love is KG, but you get the point.

3) Future 1st rounders, for those who are so touchy with giving them away, were stockpiled for this very reason...If a star player became available, the Celtics would have the war chest ready to dump a "you can't refuse that" type of deal on the table. The Celtics will NOT use all of those picks in the next 3-4 years...If they do, we're all screwed as fans.

4) This could be the most important factor in all of this discussion...With Love, I believe your chances of resigning Rondo grow exponentially. If you don't trade for Love, those chances likely decrease exponentially. If you want Rondo on this team for the next 5-6 years, then acquiring Love is your best chance. If you don't want Rondo, but want Love, that's not likely to happen b/c Love will walk if Rondo does.  If you don't want Rondo nor Love, well good luck.  You are working towards a 6-year rebuild!

I'm all for Sully, the 6th pick, the Clippers 2015 pick and the worst of the Celtics/Nets 2016 pick...If the C's have to sweeten it, I could be open to Sully, the 6th pick, Boston's 1st round pick next year and the worst of the Celtics/Nets 2016 pick...There will also have to be filler involved from Boston's side.

Totally agree, 100%.

I love me some Sully, but he's got a long, long, long-long long way to go to be on Love's level. Long.

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Love would be a great addition to this team and have no problem trading #6, Sully or Olynyk, salary filler and another pick or 2, dependent on the picks, for Love. I think he would be a great addition and the start to rebuilding to something special.

That said, Minny's record during Love's time there and his inability to raise that team to the point to even make the playoffs concerns me. Could Love just be one of those guys that hangs stats but does little to make teams better? Sure Minny's front office was a joke during his tenure there but should a player with supposedly top 5-10 player in the league potential be able to get a team in the playoffs just one time in 6-7 years?

I hope he just isn't one of those players that doesn't know how to play winning team basketball. 8 teams in a 15 team conference make the playoffs and yet a top of the league player like Love can't raise his team to a level high enough to get in the playoffs? Worrisome.

Still make the trade but....

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Yeah, obviously I missed a decimal point in there.