Author Topic: Love wants out by July 1st  (Read 21073 times)

Re: Love wants out by July 1st
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
How can Kevin Loves rebounding be stat sheet padding?  riddle me that one

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
How can Kevin Loves rebounding be stat sheet padding?  riddle me that one
Two ways:

1. Crashing the offensive glass instead of getting back in transition can be a very selfish depending on the floor balance situation. You get a chance at the offensive board, your team might get cherry-picked for two points in transition.

I don't think this really applies for Love, the Wolves clearly scheme for him to crash almost every possession. He does get lazy in transition. (who doesn't among the "stars" though)

2. Setting up to get into rebounding position before finishing out your defensive rotations. Defensive rotations include boxing out the man you should be marking so just camping in the paint instead of putting a body on a perimeter guy can cause your team to give up boards.

This is the one Love is most frequently tarred with, that he doesn't challenge shots and instead goes to setup for a rebound.

Edit: Just thought of another one, you can contest a rebound that your teammate is going to easily get to pad your stats. This can result in it awkwardly deflecting out of bounds when no one in the other team's colors is within 10 feet of the ball.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:40:28 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
I've heard Detroit fans make the same complaint about Andre Drummond. He could be a much better defender than he actually is when you watch him closely. He's padding those rebounding stats instead of getting a hand in a shooter's face.

This is why oftentimes the best shotblockers have mediocre rebounding numbers, because they're busy playing defense.

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I hope we can get him.

For all his supposed warts, I think he'd grow to stay in BOS if he just let Danny, Coach Stevens and Wyc and Co do their work as far as building the team.

Getting Love would be the 1st shoe to drop for BOS, IMO.....a BIG shoe.

Time in BOS would help to polish and buff out those warts.

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Rondo tends to always go for the offensive rebound instead of getting back on defense, in addition to holding the ball until he can get the assist, and going for the lazy steal instead of playing sound positional defense.

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
What ticks me off the most is that I can see Kelly Olynyk easily putting up 18-22 ppg in the near future, and he only costs 3-4 million a year.

With extended minutes and the same confidence he re-gained after the All Star break, the sky is the limit for Olynyk, especially if he can bulk up enough to start at center in an uptempo offense.

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 04:53:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
What ticks me off the most is that I can see Kelly Olynyk easily putting up 18-22 ppg in the near future, and he only costs 3-4 million a year.

With extended minutes and the same confidence he re-gained after the All Star break, the sky is the limit for Olynyk, especially if he can bulk up enough to start at center in an uptempo offense.

I'm a big Olynyk fan too, but we wouldn't have to give him up if we were going for Love.  If the Wolves specifically asked for him in a trade, it would be close to a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
    The Kings are willing to give up their eighth overall pick in this year?s NBA draft and a combination of players for Love, even though he would not be expected to sign a contract extension before next season ? if ever, with the rebuilding, small-market franchise, the source said. Sacramento envisions Love and DeMarcus Cousins playing alongside each other in the front court. Swingman Rudy Gay has a player?s option for next season.

The Kings know they?d have to gamble on convincing Love to re-sign, given that the franchise is rebuilding and Love is looking to play for a contender after never reaching the playoffs with the Timberwolves. Love?s suitors also figure to include a number of bigger markets, including the Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls.

Love?s representatives with Excel Sports have pushed Timberwolves president Flip Saunders to find an acceptable trade prior to the start of free agency in July. Without a trade, Love plans to opt out of his contract in the summer of 2015 and likely leave Minnesota as a free agent.

From Yahoo! Marc Spears, unfortunately it isn't the god Adrian Woj, but... if this is true, Danny Ainge should jump on this.

Love will be better than ANYONE we can get at the sixth pick... I don't get why people are hesitant on trading for Love, did anyone honestly think the sheer amount of picks we had wouldn't be used for bringing in Allstars?

If we bring in Love, Melo who might have no choice, but to stay on the Knicks this year, might want to force a trade to BOS during next years trade deadline.

If we just had to give the 6th pick for Love, no one would oppose. But that is not the case.

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm a big Olynyk fan too, but we wouldn't have to give him up if we were going for Love.  If the Wolves specifically asked for him in a trade, it would be close to a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.
Big Al is too much to pay for KG all over again.

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It will take two firsts and Sully minimum to get it done.......maybe AB too.

And I can see it now

We plat the T wolfs .....AB and Sully drop 55 points on us........  ::)

Oh fudge..... :P......let's do it and see what happens....no risk , no reward......Love will sell more tickets and TVminutes than anybody on the team.....the max contract will be worth it from an investment anyway....Celts will make a haul on this guy.

They sell 16 million t shirts on other junk ...... It's a win win situation .....go Wye go.

Oh you have Rondo and Love ......and a third star will join.  ....within a year.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:14:06 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'd love to get love if it was for the 6th, AB or Jeff Green, Bass, a future 1st, and a couple seconds.  I dont want to give up sully or olynyk though.  I'd be ok with giving up olynyk if absolutely necessary, but def. not sully.

It doesnt make sense to me to give up so much on top of sully, when sully is already (in my eyes) on a trajectory to become the closest thing in the league to love (possibly with better defense).  I think sully could give ups 15/7 or something right now.  In 2 years, I can easily see him being a 20/10 guy that's capable of spreading the floor with the 3 similar to love.  He pretty much started shooting it this year.  If he gets more consistent, we'll really regret shipping him out to bring back such a similar player.

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Big Al is too much to pay for KG all over again.

Lol Bingo.

If Kelly Olynyk ever averages 20-22 PPG for a season, I'll happily deposit my next paycheck into your PayPal NL.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Work it, Danny:

Those Three are my dream...

Plus, THIS guy:

A guy can dream, right?

Rondo-Love-Asik gets us deep in playoffs..maybe ECF...Melo may be a long shot, but I've seen him mention taking paycuts to have a contender in NY....would he/could he do the same for BOS if he got here?

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Kevin Love is a lot like Rudy Gay.

Gay has become the face for stat-bashing a player but I bet Memphis would KILL to have Gay back.  They're going nowhere in the playoffs with what they've got on the wing and they will probably have to overpay just to get someone who is 80% as good as Gay.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Look how much better Toronto got after trading Gay to Sac for a bunch of role players. Minny can be a better team post-Love as well, as Pekovic was way under-utilized while Love was getting his.

But also, look how much getter Gay got playing with a legit low-post threat like Cousins and a creator like Isaiah Thomas.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-rudy-gay-principle/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1938134-the-real-reasons-behind-rudy-gays-revival-with-sacramento-kings

Context matters.
Did Gay get better or was he just shooting better for that part of the year? Gay's overall numbers for the entire year were about the same as most every other year he has had.

Also, its not like adding Gay made an already bad Sacramento team any better while subtracting Gay definitely made Toronto better. I think that speaks volumes about Rudy Gay especially given the flotsam and jetsam he was traded for.