Author Topic: Doug McDermott  (Read 8760 times)

Re: Doug McDermott
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I have a feeling Danny really likes Doug McDermott.  Not based on anything just a hunch.  I thing it is possible to trade down and still get him.  I know no one will agree with me but a have a feeling that Danny is very interest in Doug McDermott.  I'm a celtics fan since the 70s and have seen a lot of Danny Ainge and this just seems like someone he would really want.  Just my guess.

From what I hear, McDermott's eyes light up when people ask him about the Celtics. There's isn't much to dislike about him or his game either, especially now that he surprisingly showed above-NBA average athleticism at the combine. He might not be an elite 1 on 1 defender, but his team defense is excellent and his motor is high.

That being said, there's no way Danny takes him at #6. His floor is probably higher than almost anyone in the draft, but his ceiling is definitely lower than all of the other top-8 prospects.

The only way McDermott becomes a Celtic is through trade up or down and I don't think he's the kind of player you trade down for at this stage in a rebuild. As much as Ainge says that he sees this draft as a bunch of role players and McDermott appears to be destined for a career as a knock down shooter/high character guy on a contending team, I don't think anyone here would argue that both Saric and Smart have the potential to be go-to guys (though we could debate the likelihood of them reaching their ceilings all we want). Danny has shown a willingness to move up in the teen picks to get his guy (Olynyk last year), so I would not be remotely surprised if Danny did so for a guy like McDermott. This all depends of course on where McDermott is on Danny's board and whether or not the right deal presented itself.

The Celtics probably intend to draft best available with both picks and see what develops over the next few years. That could mean a high risk/reward pick like LaVine at #17(though LaVine is very far from an NBA level and his style of play makes me question his fit on a Stevens team). It could also mean that the Celtics want a reliable guy like McDermott that will make them better instantly while almost guaranteed to being a solid long-term contributor.

That being said, you might not want to draft two guys at the same position as it would slow each guy's development. In that sense, I can't see Danny trading up for Doug if Saric is taken at #6 or through a slight trade down. Smart at #6 would make a trade up for Doug seem like a perfect move as their skills would compliment one another (Doug being another high BB IQ forward that can stretch the floor and allow the team to play inside out with their bigs).

Rondo/Smart
Bradley/Smart
Green/McDermott
Sully/KO
KO/TBD Rim Protector

Offensively, I like the lineup of:

Rondo
Smart
McDermott
Sully
KO

Still no rim protection, but that is an elite rebounding and passing team with mismatches galore and crazy tenacity in the backcourt.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:45:44 PM by CM0 »

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The only way McDermott becomes a Celtic is through trade up or down and I don't think he's the kind of player you trade down for at this stage in a rebuild.

The Celtics trade down scenario is probably something like Charlotte wanting to move ahead of the Lakers to take Vonleh or Gordon and offering compensation that Ainge things is worth more than the value of the BPA at #6 and someone like McDermott who might go around #9.  I don't think the #24 pick is enough to get that deal done unless Ainge things the BPA at #6 will still be there at #9.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 07:04:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Where does he fall in the Adam Morrison to Kelly Olynyk scale of white dudes who can shoot?

I'd say he's at about Wally Sczerbiak level.

I also like the Matt Harpring comparisons.  Harpring had a couple of years where he was a deadly 3 point shooter. 

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 07:17:36 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I can't see anyone of those guys guarding Lebron.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
The only way McDermott becomes a Celtic is through trade up or down and I don't think he's the kind of player you trade down for at this stage in a rebuild.

The Celtics trade down scenario is probably something like Charlotte wanting to move ahead of the Lakers to take Vonleh or Gordon and offering compensation that Ainge things is worth more than the value of the BPA at #6 and someone like McDermott who might go around #9.  I don't think the #24 pick is enough to get that deal done unless Ainge things the BPA at #6 will still be there at #9.

Agreed. I think Saric is the best trade down target given his potential high ranking and likelihood of falling due to uncertainties about his willingness to play for bad franchises. The Lakers will be very happy to take Smart at #7 if available.

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
Where does he fall in the Adam Morrison to Kelly Olynyk scale of white dudes who can shoot?

I'd say he's at about Wally Sczerbiak level.

I agree with the Wally comparison, and I'm talking Wally in his prime, not after the knee problems.  Remember Wally was scoring 20+ per game and made an all star team before being hobbled.  This kid can bring it and he'll perform better than all but the top 4 or 5 in this draft. But he won't win a dunk contest so we shouldn't waste a pick on him.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
McDermott has been rated the #9 or #10 pick in draft.  Could trade down to #9 to Charlotte and they give us their #24 pick.  We select McDermott at #9 and use the #24 to trade to HOU along with PP TPE for Asik.  This enables us to keep our #17 pick.  McDermott with either serve as 6th man scoring threat off bench or replace Green (if he gets traded) at SF.

Reasons he is better long-term option at SF than Green:
1. Much lower rookie salary than Green who will be paid $9.2m/yr for next two years.
2. Better 3 pt shooter than Green which fits Rondo
3. Enables Celts to sign other free agent or trades by freeing up significant cap space
4. Much younger than Green so more long-term value.
Reasons not to sign McDermott:
I would rather trade the pick since you never know for sure what you get with a draft pick and want to get known star players for quick re-build.         

We're doing Houston a favor in taking Asik's contract off their hands.  I'd want the 25th and 42nd pick and Asik for the 24th and the TPE.

Mike

That's simply not true. Houston can easily find a number of teams that will give value for Asik. A late 1st rounder is very fair value for a proven, young defensive center.

Asik is going to cost a lot of money, though less counts against the salary cap, he isn't going to sign an extension for a terrible team and what Houston is probably going to want for Asik is cap space.  The number of teams that are suitable trade partners is not that big.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Pretty slow and unathletic.

Wouldnt want him guarding anyone athletic at the 3...so we're drafting for the bench in the top 10?

I dont see it.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 10:36:43 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Pretty slow and unathletic.

Wouldnt want him guarding anyone athletic at the 3...so we're drafting for the bench in the top 10?

I dont see it.

He put up better agility numbers than Warren,Early,Hood,Hariston,Robinson 3rd

Better vertical than Warren and Hood.

I wouldn't say slow and unathletic. PP could be considered Slow and Unathletic, but he still gets it done. Now maybe his reaction speed to his defender is slow, but that can be worked on if he has the physical tools for it.

Right now he's not ideal at 6th, but if we are keeping the pick, most of the guys other than Smart that are in that pick area are PF's, and we already have 2 prospects in that position. So it's either BPA, or position needed. And thats SG,SF,C. Who's the best pick for one of those positions.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Second summer league game he put up 31 on 7-12 shooting and 12-12 from the free throw line.  Too bad he won't be able to get his shot off against pros though.  That was sarcastic btw before someone says these were pros.  Quincy Miller guarded him most of the game.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Why couldn't the Celtics choose Doug?! Why did it have to be Smart?!  ;)